It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

computer systems of both the Obama and McCain campaigns attacked by "An unknown Foreign Entity"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   

computer systems of both the Obama and McCain campaigns attacked by "An unknown Foreign Entity"

www.newsweek.com

The computer systems of both the Obama and McCain campaigns were victims of a sophisticated cyberattack by an unknown "foreign entity," prompting a federal investigation, NEWSWEEK reports today.

At the Obama headquarters in midsummer, technology experts detected what they initially thought was a computer virus—a case of "phishing," a form of hacking often employed to steal passwords or credit-card numbers. But by the next day, both the FBI and the Secret Service came to the campaign with an ominous warning: "You have a problem way bigger than what you understand," an agent told Obama's team. "You have been compromised, and a serious amount of files have been loaded off your system." The following day, Obama campaign chief David Plouffe heard from White House chief of staff Josh Bolten, to the same effect: "You have a real problem ... and you have to deal with it." The Feds told Obama's aides in late August that the McCain campaign's computer system had been similarly compromised. A top McCain official confirmed to NEWSWEEK that the campaign's computer system had been hacked and that the FBI had become involved.

Officials at the FBI and the White House told the Obama campaign that they believed a foreign entity or organization sought to gather information on the evolution of both camps' policy positions—information that might be useful in negotiations with a future administration. The Feds assured the Obama team that it had not been hacked by its political opponents. (Obama technical experts later speculated that the hackers were Russian or Chinese.) A security firm retained by the Obama campaign took steps to secure its computer system and end the intrusion. White House and FBI officials had no comment earlier this week.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Computers have made life so much easier for us... and so much more perilous as well.

It is well known; or should be anyway, that the White House is essentially scrubbed clean of all data and material from the previous administration... empty desks, new hard drives, even new e-mail systems and archives... so whatever essentials the new administration has to work with, they bring with them. This is the law.

So... with that being said, and hacking by a "foreign entity" on both campaigns an issue... one can only hope that the team Obama bring crack cyber-systems and securities with them... for the good of the nation.

www.newsweek.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 11:31 AM
link   
The Zionists did it. They're intending to search for something what they'll be able to use to blackmail to next president. After no one really knew who is going to win, they simply cracked both server to later have a chance to blackmail the upcoming president.

Horray. Mystery solved. F.B.I. guys whose are reading this post. Hint for the suspect. One six lettered word and one five lettered word: Mossad, AIPAC. Try there first. Have a nice hunt!

[edit on 5-11-2008 by Sheridan]

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Perhaps... but in this day and age... it could have been the Russian mob or Al Qaeda as well.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by grover

Hmmm.. interesting. I made a post awhile back about the World Bank being hacked. There the hackers actually had access to almost the enitre system for some months. It was said then they IP addresses were Chinese but could have been spoofed (faked).

My first guess for these attacks would be along the lines of those posted above, China, Russia, Isreal.

However, it does bug me the article doesn't list the country of orgin of the IP's used in the attack. IP's can always be spoofed. But the since they don't give them it makes me wonder if they could have been US IP's.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Well my bet is on the Chinese. I work for a military contracting firm and we were hit by an attack looking for info. Since we are in the IT field so to speak...we traced it back to mainland China. In my opinion our biggest threat is the Chinese government. They are getting their hands very dirty as of late. China may be an up and coming super power but that does not mean that we could not hurt them just as bad and probably much worse if we had intentions to do so. My opinion China should keep their hacking in check. It is getting out of hand with them.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Oh now that's just scary.

It proves that once again our defense department is the bottom of the barrel when it comes to defending the country from cyber attacks. Supposedly the Air Force was going to be devoting a huge amount of resources to this type of defense. Apparently they need to quit screwing around and get on it.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 12:20 PM
link   
They are working on it.It just takes a tremendous amount of time to implement the kind of security measures on all of the points of entry that they could use...meaning the PBX's and many times the main switches for their IT stuff is handled by civilian CO's.

Right now we are building a new and completely hack proof video and data network for the entire defense department and that's all I am going to say about that.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   
one more example how the world is still acting like its 5. People claim to be adults. But where is the maturity when no one gets along over power or direction. Were all artificially divided by undermining liars.

Foreign governments are mainly comprised of serious minded children. Yes they are 5 feet tall or more, but there attitudes and practices are equated in my mind to pranking teenagers.

Americans have been transformed for the last 100 years by a conspiracy to deceive, use and manipulate.

This is what I see when I see things like this.

Foreign nations. Despite your hate for our fake leaders, and threatening and using the people in you attempts to diminish us. The truth shall prevail, and that should make them all shake as it will in the end diminish many foreign governments. Not that they could sink much further to the real thinkers and observers.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by mattifikation

It proves that once again our defense department is the bottom of the barrel when it comes to defending the country from cyber attacks. Supposedly the Air Force was going to be devoting a huge amount of resources to this type of defense. Apparently they need to quit screwing around and get on it.

I promise you, it is not the DoD that failed. It's the *%#$~ civilian 'security' contractors that are doing their usual half-assed effort. Whether it's at the behest of others or simple incompetence, this is the result of the continuous effort to 'outsource' everything because it would be cheaper than hiring an employee who would expect to be paid what he or she was worth.

I agree that China is the most active and typically involved in these matters, but we shouldn't forget the myriad Israeli company 'fronts' that are in this business - on behalf of their 'political' leadership. Ultimately, the only way to asses the damage realistically would be for the campaigns to share what was stored in their computer system. Think that's likely?

Then of course there's always blackmail. Some countries thrive on blackmailing our politicians. But the FBI and the CIA knew that already, since they do it themselves.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 04:23 PM
link   
So the civilian end is the weak link? It seems to me that the government should be stepping in and ensuring that the people who do these jobs are doing them well.

For starters, any computer or network used to do government or campaign work should be secured by the government's people. The right way. The first time.

Any civilian with such a job should be required to have government certification. You can't practice law or medicine without a license, and today, the security of our computers is just as vital for the safety of the country. Getting caught cutting corners should mean the suspension or loss of that license.

It sounds extreme, but it sure beats being brought to our knees by some unknown force that doesn't even need to put boots on our soil. I'm worried that could happen some day. I don't have a link, but awhile back there was a report that the country's entire nuclear power production could be easily threatened by hackers.

This campaign computer hack is nothing compared to some of the messes that malicious hackers could cause.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 05:27 PM
link   

So the civilian end is the weak link? It seems to me that the government should be stepping in and ensuring that the people who do these jobs are doing them well.

For starters, any computer or network used to do government or campaign work should be secured by the government's people. The right way. The first time.

Any civilian with such a job should be required to have government certification. You can't practice law or medicine without a license, and today, the security of our computers is just as vital for the safety of the country. Getting caught cutting corners should mean the suspension or loss of that license.

It sounds extreme, but it sure beats being brought to our knees by some unknown force that doesn't even need to put boots on our soil. I'm worried that could happen some day. I don't have a link, but awhile back there was a report that the country's entire nuclear power production could be easily threatened by hackers.

This campaign computer hack is nothing compared to some of the messes that malicious hackers could cause.

Your preaching to the choir, my friend.

I have personally witness true geniuses in the government. You know what they do? They keep the system from collapsing. There is a core of mid to lower level management in there that have literally kept these people from screwing the pooch on numerous occasions. They are rarely recognized, virtually anonymous, and seldom the beneficiaries of government largess.

Then enter the politically or socially connected 'contractors' or 'vendors'. Their apparent function is to maintain the weakest hold on the status quo, and generally inhibit innovation or structural/organizational change from occurring, while simultaneously availing themselves of the opportunity to 'manufacture' consent as to their sacrosanct presence in the government. These corporate control-freaks are often the 'shadows' of every political appointee to the oversight branch. It's shameless, and fraught with fiduciary perils. They have been entrusted to re-engineer an organizational model to their benefit. And the one tool we could use to stop them isn't being used at all. Security clearances.

DoD should NOT employ corporate-sponsored civilians in capacities of leadership. They cannot be trusted as theirs is a corporate loyalty. Corporations which pride themselves on knowing no 'borders.' Therein by the way is another retched example of poor stewardship of the military institution. These 'civilians' somehow magically "automatically" get security clearances, many I dare suggest, wouldn't qualify for such clearances weren't for the commercial opportunity and the political/social connection 'engineered' by lobbyists and social elitists. This is one of many doorways to corrupting our government. It must be closed, or watched - probably both.

[/rant]

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars

I promise you, it is not the DoD that failed. It's the *%#$~ civilian 'security' contractors that are doing their usual half-assed effort. Whether it's at the behest of others or simple incompetence, this is the result of the continuous effort to 'outsource' everything because it would be cheaper than hiring an employee who would expect to be paid what he or she was worth.

I agree that China is the most active and typically involved in these matters, but we shouldn't forget the myriad Israeli company 'fronts' that are in this business - on behalf of their 'political' leadership. Ultimately, the only way to asses the damage realistically would be for the campaigns to share what was stored in their computer system. Think that's likely?

Then of course there's always blackmail. Some countries thrive on blackmailing our politicians. But the FBI and the CIA knew that already, since they do it themselves.

Odd that THEY show up saying what is going on. They know but don't stop it? They can SEE IT happening but not stop it and not prevent anything bad from happening? Interesting indeed.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars

Your preaching to the choir, my friend.

I have personally witness true geniuses in the government. You know what they do? They keep the system from collapsing. There is a core of mid to lower level management in there that have literally kept these people from screwing the pooch on numerous occasions. They are rarely recognized, virtually anonymous, and seldom the beneficiaries of government largess.

Then enter the politically or socially connected 'contractors' or 'vendors'. Their apparent function is to maintain the weakest hold on the status quo, and generally inhibit innovation or structural/organizational change from occurring, while simultaneously availing themselves of the opportunity to 'manufacture' consent as to their sacrosanct presence in the government. These corporate control-freaks are often the 'shadows' of every political appointee to the oversight branch. It's shameless, and fraught with fiduciary perils. They have been entrusted to re-engineer an organizational model to their benefit. And the one tool we could use to stop them isn't being used at all. Security clearances.

DoD should NOT employ corporate-sponsored civilians in capacities of leadership. They cannot be trusted as theirs is a corporate loyalty. Corporations which pride themselves on knowing no 'borders.' Therein by the way is another retched example of poor stewardship of the military institution. These 'civilians' somehow magically "automatically" get security clearances, many I dare suggest, wouldn't qualify for such clearances weren't for the commercial opportunity and the political/social connection 'engineered' by lobbyists and social elitists. This is one of many doorways to corrupting our government. It must be closed, or watched - probably both.

[/rant]

don't communications over oceans use satellites at some point? control points.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Either way it does not matter to much as they could not get to any real defense information through the DOD other than some clerical info and white papers. Maybe some peoples names and info but the real secret stuff is on a completely independent network.It is not even connected to the public network. They use a SIPR and NIPR network.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 12:32 AM
link   
So how did the FBI know before they did? Does that not imply a certain level of sophistication and intrusion on their part?

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Grumble

That is an excellent question. It implies either an origin-point tipoff which would be beyond the purview of the FBI, and point to a larger inter-agency effort, or a result of domestic FBI capability. Wonder which one it is?

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 03:16 AM
link   
It's funny even in this day in age how ignorant people are that Windows is for the most part very open. Even when paid professionals are tasked with guarding these computers it is still very taxing to deflect all types of attacks. Most likely what was used was a zero day attack where crafty hackers, being gifted programmers themselves know the inner workings of the operating system and can also program quite well. They discover some sort of hole or some way to exploit a legitimate service the OS is running.

Yea $1000 says they were on windows based systems, not Linux or Unix and it was a zero day attack.

[edit on 6-11-2008 by oconnection]

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by oconnection
It's funny even in this day in age how ignorant people are that Windows is for the most part very open. Even when paid professionals are tasked with guarding these computers it is still very taxing to deflect all types of attacks.
[edit on 6-11-2008 by oconnection]

How true... It would behoove them to switch to Mac's (and not tell anyone
:lol
since they are a much harder nut to crack.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Or better yet, run all their own custom software. Anything commercial and available to the whole world is going to be available for anyone with enough money for a computer to just set up a machine and find out its weaknesses.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join