It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arkansas Pass Gay Adoption Ban

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Arkansas Pass Gay Adoption Ban

www2.arkansasonline.com

LITTLE ROCK — Arkansans on Tuesday approved a ban on unmarried, cohabiting adults from adopting or fostering children.

With 2,177 of 2,588 precincts reporting, the unofficial results from The Associated Press were: For.................................509,879

Against .........................379,60
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 5-11-2008 by Ign0rant]

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Wow ! That's a heartbreak for the homosexual population. With this and Prop 8 being passed in California we really are starting off on the wrong foot. With the staggering amount of orphans in America these days why would you restrict the people from adopting? How does it make any sense for two people too love each other, but cannot get married or adopt children. Sorry America today we may have triumphed over racism, but we have discriminated against another minority.

-Ign0RanT

www2.arkansasonline.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

2005 Casa Study on Adoption/Foster Home Abuse

2004 Census Study on Number of Orphans and Adopted Children in the Us

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 12:30 PM
link   
This is just disgusting. As long as parents are loving, who cares what sex they are.

Wow. Grow up, America.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ign0rant
Wow ! That's a heartbreak for the homosexual population....

No, it is a heartbreak for all of us. Astounding that we spend time in America eliminating and marginalizing the hopes and dreams of people. Truly sad. As Walter Sobchack said "this affects all of us! our basic freedoms!"

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 01:06 PM
link   
It appears letting an unwanted or abandoned child have a home with loving parents must be stopped at all cost. Bet there is a fear that they will not indoctrinated in the hate crowd.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 01:07 PM
link   
This wasn't just for gay couples. This was also for heterosexual couples that are unmarried. Which, I guess, also rules out adoption for single people who want to adopt....they aren't married.

But, the whole initiative was to ban gay couples from adopting.

It is just ridiculous. And disgusting. All the hollering about how abortion is murder....have the baby and give it up for adoption. Well, if they keep legislating who can and can't adopt, where are all of these children going to go?

It is unfair to couples who want to adopt children, gay or straight, who aren't married. It is unfair to single parents who want to adopt. But, most of all, it is unfair to the children.

We can't legislate who would provide a loving, stable home for unwanted children.

God knows, there are plenty of heterosexual married couples who do a crappy job of raising children....when are we going to legislate that they can't have kids??? Those are the ones we need to deal with....

[edit on 11/5/2008 by skeptic1]

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by roadgravel

We can't stop from neutering these parents:

But God forbid a gay couple from creating a loving household.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by pluckynoonez

Ironic isn't it.

I actually know a family that wouldn't exist under this law. Two children who have a wonderful, love filled life and are very happy.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by skeptic1

It is just ridiculous. And disgusting. All the hollering about how abortion is murder....have the baby and give it up for adoption. Well, if they keep legislating who can and can't adopt, where are all of these children going to go?

You should get 1,000 stars for that.

I don't particularly like abortion but I am sick and tired of hearing people whine about murdered babies out of one side of their mouth and with the other put into effect legislation like this that would prevent those "unwanted children" from having a loving home.

Fact of the matter is those children are wanted... they could be in loving homes... but certain slices of the populous have to stick there noses in and keep them "in the system."

Apparently God and his people only care about the unborn until they are born.

It should be one or the other. If Abortion is outlawed, then adoption standards should become much more lax and birth control and sex ed should be easily availible.

If you take away sex education, birth control, and do # like this, then expect your abortion rates to go up!

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   
When I saw the final count this morning, I was truly shocked!

You see, I'm from Arkansas AND my father is gay (so this really hits home).

But let me tell you something... I believe that he has taught me more in my life than I could have ever imagined. He taught me strength. He taught me compassion. And most of all he showed me love!

He showed me a love so deep for people that reaches greater and farther than whatever their sexuality may be. It doesn't matter if you're gay or straight. People are people. Who thinks that they can decide the morals and character of a person based solely on their sexuality? To me that is just not right. And maybe it's because I come from a different place than most people, but in this day in age when it's so socially acceptable... What is the problem with anyone who is financially stable, caring, dependable, loving, and a good person inside, being able to foster a child that might otherwise be neglected or let down?

I don’t get it and I am truly sad about it, because I know that my dad, who I love with all of my heart, is so loving and would never judge anyone. So for people to judge others like him is just beyond anything I can understand right now.

I wish this society would understand that homosexuals are not bad people. They just live a different lifestyle than straight people. That's it!

And before the haters get on here, let me tell you that I am 24 years old, and I'm in a heterosexual relationship with one of the most beautiful women in the whole world. So just because you are raised around homosexuals, it doesn't mean you will become one.

Cheers!

EDIT: I forgot to say thanks to Ign0rant for posting this! So... THANKS! The world needs to get out of the 1950's and be welcomed to the 21 century! I'm done ranting now...

[edit on 11/5/2008 by ou_sooners_19]

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Well, this is Arkansas... probably the most fascist of all states.

Our grandfathers died to defeat fascism...
... and Arkansas is dying to start it again.

Racism, Sexism, and even Nazi worshipers operate out in the open down there...

But that's what you get when siblings mate.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by asmeone2
It should be one or the other. If Abortion is outlawed, then adoption standards should become much more lax and birth control and sex ed should be easily availible.

I try to avoid going into the lion's den on issues like this but since no one thus far has presented an opposing view to the topic at had, I will.

I agree with the ban. I will state my opinion first. I consider homosexuality abnormal. I don't think it is something that should be encouraged, or considered normal to hetero relationships anymore than other sexual preference abnormalities should be. I think that to allow children into homosexual homes voluntarily promotes acceptance and normalizes that lifestyle and behavior for the next generation.

That being said, I quoted asmeone2 because I agree on these aspects. Adoption standards should be much simpler to get children into loving homes. It is because of so much difficulty, cost and red tape that so many foreign children are adopted by American families, and that pisses me off too. I also agree birth control and sex ed. To my knowledge, birth control is easily available, so I don't know how it could be more easily available. If I am not mistake, sex ed, if not a class on its own, is at lease included in every health class in at least the High School level. In many cases, it is included at the Middle School level. Again, I don't see a need for it before that, so I don't see how it can get much more available.

That's all I have for now. Shred away.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by johnsky

Before you post, you should probably get your head out from under the sheets and wake up.

You show no facts at all. You know why? Because you speak of ignorence! Everything you said is made up from hearsay. You think everyone from Arkansas is inbred... Well guess what... contrary to popular belief, we don't ride horses anymore, we have cars. We have bathrooms, and not an outhouse. And we are not inbred.

So do your homework next time you try and post.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolf321

Thank you for taking the time in coming down from your crucifix and informing us of your opinion on this matter.

This is the problem with America. Fear of this, fear of that. "We cannot allow the abnormal to become normal..." tripe is truly disgusting. Open your heart and realize that love is love and intolerance is just that.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolf321

Normal is subjective. We all have our own definitions of normal.

Homosexuality is not abnormal; it occurs throughout nature in all kinds of animals....naturally. So, it occurs in humans naturally, too.

That isn't even the issue, though. The issue is denying rights to people who want children on the basis of their marital status (this initiative, specifically). The issue is denying rights to children who are unwanted by legislating who and what constitutes "proper" parents.

The issue is denying rights, when our country was founded with the basic principle of everyone being created equal.

It isn't fair and it isn't right. That's the bottom line....

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolf321

I just want to say this. If you look outside of western, Judaic culture, the stigma against homosexuality is nonexistant in most cultures.

I don't think it's homosexuality that has caused the trouble at all, within our culture, but rather the fear of somethign different.

Honestly, how does it effect you?

It's not like allowing gay marraige would nullify your right to get married to someone of the opposite gender.

And remember of course that over 1 in 2 heterosexual marraiges end in divorce--what exactly are we protecting again?

I can understand that the fear of "indoctrinting the children" is a very real one, but please think of them... what is worse, to have them "indoctrinated" into a view that is different than your own, or to shuffle them around "the system" for years, starving them of love and stability?

Edit: Birth control and sex ed classes vary by state. Some encourage it, in some it is practically outlawed. Then there is the problem of doctors and pharmacists refusing to write or fill brith control prescriptions, even when that should be the patient's right.

[edit on 5-11-2008 by asmeone2]

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by ou_sooners_19
I wish this society would understand that homosexuals are not bad people. They just live a different lifestyle than straight people. That's it!

I agree, there are many homosexual people who are good people; kind, generous and fun people. Take Ellen Degeneres for example. Truely a wonderful person. But I cannot approve or accept her sexual lifestyle as normal or good.

Originally posted by pluckynoonez"We cannot allow the abnormal to become normal..." tripe is truly disgusting. Open your heart and realize that love is love and intolerance is just that.

Should we change laws on theft because there are people who have kleptomania? The fact is, there are things in the world that we are supposed to not tolerate. Philosophical question: Before a law exists, is the crime wrong?

You seem to suggest we should be allowing the abnormal to become normal. That line of thinking leads to social decay and eventually anarchy and chaos.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolf321

The big (false) assumption is that they are abnormal...

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolf321

You seem to suggest we should be allowing the abnormal to become normal. That line of thinking leads to social decay and eventually anarchy and chaos.

I reiterate my point of normal being subjective. You have your definition, I have mine.

As for social decay....us straight folks haven't done much to uphold the moral integrity of society: adultry, divorce, abuse, child molestation, prostitution, gambling, murder, rape, robbery, assault, etc., etc.

You think allowing a loving, same-sex couple to adopt unwanted children is going to bring our society lower than we have already allowed it to become? It just might up-lift it some.

Just because it doesn't fit your definition of "normal" doesn't make it wrong or unjust.

[edit on 11/5/2008 by skeptic1]

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wolf321

I try to avoid going into the lion's den on issues like this but since no one thus far has presented an opposing view to the topic at had, I will.

I agree with the ban. I will state my opinion first. I consider homosexuality abnormal. I don't think it is something that should be encouraged, or considered normal to hetero relationships anymore than other sexual preference abnormalities should be. I think that to allow children into homosexual homes voluntarily promotes acceptance and normalizes that lifestyle and behavior for the next generation.

Before I start Thank you coming into this thread without arms failing and spouting nonsense. I respect your opinion and courtesy on this matter.

Homosexuality is a term referring to people who are attracted to those of the same sex. Now to say this is a abnormality is wrong. Homosexuality is a new age idea that is slowly getting acceptance across states. Think back to the 60s, 70s and even early 90s the thought of interracial marriage was abnormal. The notion of "normality" cannot be defined by you or me it is created by in the times we live in.
Now to the idea that children living with homosexual parents will to become homosexual. This really hasn't been proven false or true by any factual study so that statement is just a baseless claim. From a logical standpoint, you should worry about the media and government poisoning the minds of the younger generation before placing any blame on the homosexual population. Not everyone is perfect, sure homosexuals may be bad parents but what about the heterosexuals that beat or sexually abuse their children what example are they setting?

Here's an article I found regarding children being raised by homosexual parents.

Kids Raised By Gay Parents

-Ign0RanT

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join