It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smokers are banned from fostering

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Smokers are banned from fostering

news.bbc.co.uk

Smokers in a north-east London borough will not be able to foster children from January 2010 - unless there are "exceptional circumstances".

The ban was passed on Tuesday evening by Redbridge councillors who voted unanimously in favour of the policy.

Redbridge Council wants to protect children from "the damaging effects of passive and second-hand smoke".
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 09:02 AM
link   
And how many other areas will follow suit?
How many exceptionaly good people/parents will not be able to foster, even though these people do not smoke indoors?

I'm a smoker (roll my own rather than highly odoured machine made types) yet I do not smoke in my own house. I am more than happy to go and stand outside in all weathers.

It's not just about protecting other people, it's about stopping my furntiure, curtains, wallpaper, clothing stinking form stale smoke. It's about stopping the film of sticky tar sticking to everything in a 20 foot area after a certain amount of time.
It's about reducing my need to have to clean everything as often as others might.

Pure discrimination and an almost obvious show of contempt for anyone deemed to be a 'smoker'.

Smoking does not make you a bad or inconsiderate person. It should have no reflection on wether you can adopt or not....
becoming a foster parent has not stopped many gay/lesbian people from doing so (even though some have tried to stop this also), so why should it stop anyone else?

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Breaking News Forum Submission Guidelines – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 5/11/2008 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Wow madness!

I agree whole heartedly extralien as I live in North London and my parents foster; my mum is not a smoker but my dad is.

My parents have won "Foster carer(s) of the year award" in our area for three years in a row (not including the last) - I'm not bragging, just pointing out that being smokers DOES NOT affect your abilities on fostering kids!

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 10:26 AM
link   
It does seem a bit extreme to deny smokers this, I used to be a smoker and I stopped because well I fell in love and got pregnant and all that.
Anyway, I grew up with both my parents smoking, they also smoked outside but it still made me curious and I had my first one before I was 12.

Of course you want to do the stuff grown ups do when you're a kid, so this how ever un fair it is, is prolly just to make more people cut down on smoking.

And is that such a horrible thing really?

I miss smoking, with all these hormones and the fact that in a few months I'm gonna push out another human being, I would give ALOT to smoke. When ever I pass people that smoke on the street I have to distract myself so I don't take a deep deep breath when I pass them.

Even though I feel pathetic everytime I see someone smoke, I'm glad I stopped. It scared me when I was little, to hear about all the peope who died from smoking and then to se my parents smoke and I don't want my child or any child to live with any fears.

I do however feel that denying good people children is way out of line.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 11:06 AM
link   
That's absurd.

I object to your comparison of smoking and homosexuality with reference to fostering, since second-hand smoking has been shown to cause health problems and there is no such thing as second-hand homosexuality.

But that's not the point.

Unless the fostering system is vastly different over there than it is here in the U.S., they have much better things to worry about than whether a foster parent smokes, and really good foster parents are in desperate shortage.

I'm also really concerned about the kids who are now placed in stable homes where the parents smoke – what if the parents try but can't give up the habit? They're going to yank a kid out of maybe the first stable situation of their lives to protect them from second-hand smoke?

Cigarette smoke is bad. I get that. But what are the health prospects of a kid who grows up with no stability? I suspect that the harmful effects of secondhand smoke (which, if the parent smokes outdoors or in a well-ventilated area are probably very low) are more than compensated for by the lessons in how to take care of oneself physically and emotionally that can only be learned in a stable and caring environment.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Smoking is a bad example and kid's are impressionable.

England smoking ban takes effect Jul 1, 2007

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 11:28 AM
link   
So what about the kids that have their biological parents taking care of them?

If those parents smoke, will the kids be taken away to be placed in foster care with parents that don't smoke, or perhaps will the parents be fined?

Weird events indeed.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by -0mega-

Interesting point you made there... It does bring thoughts of where this issue might actually be leading towards.

i'm sure we can all see the errosion of rights here and the possiblity that there may be 'laws' about who can and can't have children.

You can't become pregnant if you're a smoker.
you cant have children if you're earning under £X
You can't have kids if you listen to the wrong types of music or eat/drink foodstuffs that contain Aspartame...

Well, you get the drift ...

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Extralien

And how many other areas will follow suit?
How many exceptionaly good people/parents will not be able to foster, even though these people do not smoke indoors?

If they smoke at all , they are endangering their children.

Sorry, but nicotine is THE MOST Addictive and legal substance there is.

If a child sees there parent smoke, they believe it is OK. If the Parent says "Don't do like me" they are teaching double standards, and the child will still smoke.

Children learn what they see. Period.

I'm glad to see this happen!

It looks like everyone around the world is waking up finally!

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Its a bit over the top really

Im not a smoker, never have been...never will, but to take away these peoples rights like this, is just ludicrous.

It wouldve been more acceptable just to ask them not to smoke around any kids they adopted rather than take the oppurtunity away from them entirely

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

If a child sees there parent smoke, they believe it is OK. If the Parent says "Don't do like me" they are teaching double standards, and the child will still smoke.

Children learn what they see. Period.

Both my parents smoked

I have never touched on in my life

Obviously I am specially unique or your statement is flawed

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by -0mega-
So what about the kids that have their biological parents taking care of them?

If those parents smoke, will the kids be taken away to be placed in foster care with parents that don't smoke, or perhaps will the parents be fined?

Weird events indeed.

It wouldn't surprise me. The social services in the UK have already taken 7 kids away from their parents because the parents let them get too fat, just in the last year. I suppose that parents who smoke are likely to be the next targets.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

The Lame-o Council passed a law regarding the necessary conditions for foster parents today including:
musli only diet, bikes only - no cars, regimented excercise and simultaneous music lessons, guarentee you don't live within 10 miles of any factory or major roadway, no smoked foods within 30 feet of children, no hairspray, deodorant, toothpaste, mouth wash, make-up, cleaners, alcohol, knives, guns, spears or crossbows in the house; masks must be worn at all times outsisde, vaccines will be given on a monthly basis, and you must dress you children in the latest fashion. Crazy people, people who simply want benefits, perscription drug abusers, please apply within.

ColoradoJens

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Another reason I am glad I don't live in England...

Political correctness and the nanny state will be the key used to open the door to more tyranny. Brainwashing of the public, through repeated attacks ad nauseum from every aspect of the media on the 'sin' du'jour will be the way this revolution will be won.

The only reason tobacco is not illegal is that those in true power understand it is essentially harmless. they intend to continue to use it, but they also wish to deny tobacco use to the general public. the difference between us and them is that we have to engage society in general on a daily basis, and we do not have essentially unlimited incomes. Thus, by increasing the cost and denigrating smoking as some sort of evil, we are effectively stopped form enjoying the same privileges they enjoy.

As another poster mentioned, I also roll my own cigarettes now. I have full intention of actually growing and curing my own tobacco. I have already noticed a definite difference in how I feel, although I have not changed my smoking habits in the least (I do smoke less, but that is because I want less of the real tobacco). Marlboros, which I smoked my entire life, taste 'nasty' to me now. I also spend about $10 a carton as opposed to $30+.

Rights are being pulled, not by violence, but by financial control and pressure. Today, they are coming for me. Tomorrow, will they come for you?

reply to post by HunkaHunka

Flawed conclusion. I smoke like a chimney (am even somewhat 'activist' over it), yet neither of my children smoke.

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   
How many more rules are they going to tack on, before it simply becomes illegal to foster children?

Then where are we going to put all the homeless children?

... maybe they'll just make homeless children illegal. lol.

top topics

join