It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michelle Obama's Outfit Tonight

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by resistancia

I am thrilled with the Obama victory, but was mystified by her dress. I thought maybe I just don't get it, so I googled it and apparently others were puzzled too. She's great looking, why would someone give her such a bum steer? It really doesn't matter what she wears, just sorta interesting. GOBAMA

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Wow that's pretty heinous.

And to those with a 'It's just a dress. Don't you people have anything better to do?' opinion, I seem to remember people moaning about Palin's wardrobe (the actual styles- and not the supposed expense ordeal) so it's only fair we can serve as the liberals' fashion police as well.

[edit on 11/5/2008 by AshleyD]

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

I believe the idea is that because this moment was important for so many other reasons, it is trite to be discussing attire. The reasoning that Palin had fashion police (didn't hillary?) so you'll be the fashion police for a woman who holds no office, is to minimalize what happend last night, imo. Not a huge deal, but come on...

ColoradoJens

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

That's not the way I see it but you are more than welcome to. We are discussing the more serious issues in other threads. We have every right to discuss the more light-hearted hideous nature of a public figure's fashion sense in this thread if we wish. It's allowed. Right? If this was our sole focus, you may have a point. But it isn't. So...

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by AmethystWolf

My husband noticed the dress "Black Widow"looking. Like you said I hope this is not foretelling the future!

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

I agree that it would be trite to simply be discussing fashion. But the whole point of this thread was not to discuss fashion. It was to point out the strange nature of her attire and what it may or may not foreshadow. The symbolism here is very strange to me, and I've long felt that Obama's rise to power was too quick and seemed too 'planned'. It seems to me that something must be in the works. Part of me wonders if it is about whether he will live to finish his term. And, what would his assassination do to the state of our country? How would it affect what remaining liberties we still have.

Again, and I can't seem to state this enough - this isn't about fashion. It's about how strange it is that she appeared to be dressed as a black widow.

If you want to just say that's crazy, then so be it. But please don't trivialize what I'm trying to discuss here.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

I think the ability and desire to discuss fashion shows that:
1. We're a civilized nation and we have enough of our needs met that we can take the time to do that;
2. We're attuned to subtleties.

I'd say on the basis of that pic, that Ms Obama would do well to employ an image consultant. She's actually freer to do that now that her husband won than before when it might have been distracting.

2 cents.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by AmethystWolf

I didn't mean to trivialize your thread, if you took it that way I apologize. I stated that I myself critically watched how the production was put together, as is how my brain works - I too noticed the color trends and yes, the dress was not the best. I suppose one may read into a "message" that her dress conveyed - blood red on black - Obama will be killed soon! - or she's the black widow - or whatever. I read it was for color coded reasons and it simply wasn't the best choice. Please correct me if I am wrong, but womens' attire is simply much more variant than men's suits and ties. (I believe Hilary had something to do with popularzing the pantsuit - God forbid) Anyway, I'm sure we'll all be hammering her again. It's not only the American way, but she is a woman! Criticize away media, right? Ultimately, my point is that all of this aside, the idea that her clothes may convey a message is possible. I think it simply conveyed a decision to match everyone else.

ColoradoJens

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   
The only thing I thought was that it made her look like she was Pregnate.

I wonder if the Obamas are expecting????

Has there ever been a baby born in the white house?

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I just had to respond to this thread.. I was watching Obama's acceptance speech live lat night. As soon as I saw his wife's dress I immediately thought how she looked just like a Black Widow spider.. I find this just very eerily strange. Why allow her to wear something that would even give a hint of such a creature? Black widow? Just seems very foreboding!!!

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by TKainZero

The Question:
Who was the first baby born to a president's wife in the White House?

The Answer:
The first baby born to a First Lady in the White House was Esther Cleveland, second daughter of Grover and Frances Cleveland, in 1893. She was not the first baby born in the White House, however. Thomas Jefferson's grandson, James Madison Randolph, was born there in 1805. For more information about our presidents, you might like to check out our Presidential Factfile.

—The Editors

www.infoplease.com...

Also, although unproven, there are rumors of a cave full of light deprived semi-bat children that look suspiciously like Bill Clinton too. Unproven, of course.

ColoradoJens

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKainZero
Has there ever been a baby born in the white house?

The first baby born in the White House was the child of Martha Randolph,Thomas Jefferson's daughter. T.J.'s grandson was born in 1805.

Esther Cleveland, born in 1893, was the first child of a president born in the White House.

The site, Babies of the White House, gives info on all the births there.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I was one of the glad to see Obama win people,and although we were happy my husband almost came out of his chair when he saw this dress and remarked that it made her look pregnant! I too saw some flag relationship in the choice of color motif. Having said all that and being the goth that I am I just wish the dress had been more flattering like a black dress with a red belt or vice versa

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Definately a 'make you think' moment. It wasn't ugly, just a very strange choice.

I dunno. Maybe she got it at Target.Lol

[edit on 5-11-2008 by Myrtales Instinct]

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Now that we have all gotten over the dress...

Can we OFFICALY let the First Lady to be, Mrs. Obama, be known as the Black Widow.

Sometimes something just comes along and it just sticks, no matter what...

Michele Obama is the Black Widow...

From here on out...

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I actually think the dress is sexy...if it was just red haha

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Here we are, two years later. The black widow dress was infact a sign of things to come. Her fashions were created to make her look big at the beginning of the term. Like everything else associated with these people, the plans were layed out way ahead of time. Ever since she has been first lady she has been on the," everyone eat healthy" kick. As the months have gone by she has gradually changed her fashion choices from the fat look to the not so fat look to most reciently the one strap number. Basically she wanted to look like she was eating healthy and loosing weight. She has actually gained weight in the last two years.
The disturbing fashion question..... Why does every head of state all over the world have to be exposed to her armpits? She represents us all over the world with her armpits hanging out. Check the pictures to see leaders with smaller builds face to armpit with her. I find this more disturbing than the fact that she very seldom is caught in panti hose. Sow's ear.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join