It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mandarin Matryoshka Doll-Theremin Orchestra - Literally

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 11:53 PM
link   
I'm not sure I could sit through the entire album, but interesting nonetheless - do the stethescopes come with the theremin dolls?
Are there any theremin players out there? Jokes aside, the theremin is pretty cool.

www.liveleak.com...

More about the theremin - the instrument you don't touch. Also some good history on the inventor, Lev Termen.

The theremin was invented in 1919 by a Russian physicist named Lev Termen (in the United States his name was Leon Theremin). Today, this marvelous instrument is once again in the musical spotlight.
Besides looking like no other instrument, the theremin is unique in that it is played without being touched.

Two antennas protrude from the theremin - one controlling pitch, and the other controlling volume. As a hand approaches the vertical antenna, the pitch gets higher. Approaching the horizontal antenna makes the volume softer. Because there is no physical contact with the instrument, playing the theremin in a precise melodic way requires practiced skill and keen attention to pitch.

www.thereminworld.com...

ColoradoJens

[edit on 4-11-2008 by ColoradoJens]

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

Come on! No theremin lovers out there? I thought the title of the thread may pull in a curious music lover, but alas, another thread with nada...

CJ

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I prefer the golden oldies on the theremin. All this new stuff just dosen't have the soul and vibe of the classics.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Whaaa, thanks for the vid - that is AWESOME! I love classics like that - of course, brought to you because YOU asked for it! I guess there was a time when the theremin players were like rock and rollers!

ColoradoJens

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   
In my musical careear I have only met one person that played the theremin. Not so much a musician but a schizoid, OCD, genius that
went out of his way to get on your nerves in any way possible.
I have a feeling that the person that would be drawn to build and play a theremin, might possibily look at the world a little differently than the rest of us.
www.youtube.com...

oops, need to click to the red letters to listen/watch.

[edit on 10-12-2008 by whaaa]

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 10:40 AM
link   
www.youtube.com...

see what I mean???

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Any fan of cheezy old '50s sci fi/horror, especially from American International Pictures, has to love the theremin.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Ha ha. Sounds like several people I know (just no theremin playing). This vid is hilarious. Imagine having this guy do your wedding! (or living in your basement) And to yeahright, agreed. Sci-fi and theremin go together like coffee and cream.
Thanks for the responses!

ColoradoJens

top topics

join