It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if Obama is assassinated before inauguration?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by 12.21.12

But, technically, Obama hasn't been elected, because we have an indirect electoral process. In other words, we have elected the members of the electoral college who will elect the president and vice president in December. The question still remains, then, although hopefully a moot question, as to the succession if he Obama does become incapacitated to hold the office BEFORE the electoral college elects him.

I've been wondering about that myself, although I don't think it's specified in the succession rules.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

No, our country voted for electors. It did not vote for Obama or McCain.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Wolf321

That's exactly right. If Obama is President and dies then Biden succeds him but since he is not President yet, then Biden's office is dead too. They ran together as a ticket and the people did not choose Biden but Obama. In some states the Lt. Governor runs seperate from the Governer and the people of those states can even elect an opposite party to be Lt. Governor.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Are you aware of the attitude shift many black Americans had upon Obama's election? Many black people I know feel like they are on top of the world, and I believe this is also evident in the media. Much more so than most white Obama supporters, in my opinion.

So no, I don't think many black people would give a # if another white president was assassinated.

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 03:54 AM
link   
I heard it would be Hillary Clinton, she was next in line for the democrats, it makes sense

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
reply to post by 12.21.12

But, technically, Obama hasn't been elected, because we have an indirect electoral process. In other words, we have elected the members of the electoral college who will elect the president and vice president in December. The question still remains, then, although hopefully a moot question, as to the succession if he Obama does become incapacitated to hold the office BEFORE the electoral college elects him.

I've been wondering about that myself, although I don't think it's specified in the succession rules.

he recieved 8 million more votes in the popular vote. if we had no electoral
college he would still be the president-elect, making your point moot.

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 04:27 AM
link   
i think if obama doesn't play ball with wall street...his assasination becomes a real possibility...just my cynical opinion. and with all the crazy right wing racists out there, they would offer perfect cover complete with a fall guy.

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   
It would go to the candidate who recieved the second most electoral votes, i.e. McCain.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 02:09 AM
link   
[john mCcain become president is the electrorial college does not cast there votes. Once ther votes are cast for Obama, if he was not capable of taking office Biden would be pres

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 03:26 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

They haven't cast their votes yet.

One of the mistakes people make is they believe that political parties have some constitutional reality; they don't. Parties are just groups of people who band together because they have a similar political philosophy. If people had wanted to they could have broken themselves down into Catholics and Protestants, or cat lovers and dog lovers, rather than democrats and republicans. In other words, the democrats didn't win the election, Barrack Obama did.

After the Electoral College casts their votes it will be completely determined by the constitution, i.e. Joe Biden will assume power if Obama dies. But until then Electoral College has a difficult dilemma if the "winner" dies before the votes are cast.

Would Joe Biden have won in an election against John McCain? Who knows? It's not clear. The easiest thing to do constitutionally is to vote for the person who got the second most electoral votes, this would be the easiest choice to defend in the courts; although as another poster said the Electoral College would have great latitude and could give it to Ralph Nader if they wanted to.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolf321

If Obama gets shot before taking office. There will be riots, total chaos, military use in our own land. Martial Law will be passed and if you remember back in 2006 Bush passed the martial law bill that if anything would to happen he would stay in power. So the answer to your question is we will have more of George W. Bush, smart man. Way to go America!! You guys feared Sarah Palin was one heart beat away from the presidency and you guys voted Obama. Now we are one bullet away from the worst.

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Well what if Mr. Obama is found to be born in Kenya (and deemed by the courts to be ineligle to be a candidate for President) - prior to the Electoral College vote. Who is President then? Or is there another election?

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 06:39 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 11:55 PM
link   
what's the big fuss here? this is clearly addressed in section 3 of the 20th amendment:

Section 3. If, at the time fixed for the beginning of the term of the President, the President elect shall have died, the Vice President elect shall become President. If a President shall not have been chosen before the time fixed for the beginning of his term, or if the President elect shall have failed to qualify, then the Vice President elect shall act as President until a President shall have qualified; and the Congress may by law provide for the case wherein neither a President elect nor a Vice President elect shall have qualified, declaring who shall then act as President, or the manner in which one who is to act shall be selected, and such person shall act accordingly until a President or Vice President shall have qualified.

Biden will take office. end of story.

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Please take this hypothetical scenario one step further, or possibly several steps. What would happen in the event that not only the President Elect, but the Vice President Elect were both assassinated simultaneously - and possibly some of his announced top Cabinet, as could happen if an assassination were to occur during a meeting?

Second question, short of imposing Marshall Law, would there be any other scenario where the current Administration could retain power beyond January 20?

I believe that any occurance of his nature would be a travesty for our Country, but I would like to know what to watch out for, as I would not want the current administration or the GOP party in power one moment longer than necessary.

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Wolf321

Yes Biden will be president thats a FACT not a ? Damn people are you that stupid to even ask that ? My guess the one who posted that ? doesent even know whos Vice President lol.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Has anyone considered that the Speaker of the House may become President since Obama is not sworn in yet so he is not in office and that would disqualify Biden since he is not sworn in as well. As far as Bush is concerned, no President can serve more than 2 terms in office since FDR. Seems like the most likely choice would be the Speaker of the House until another election could be held or until the courts could make a decision on what to do. Just a thought.

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 04:16 AM
link   
In the Netherlands, we experienced great unrest following the assasination of Pim Fortuyn days before the election. I predict that if Obama were to be assasinated, God forbids, tremendous turmoil would unfold in your country. In this setting I cannot imagine your electorate choosing McCain and to calm down the people they would avert to Biden.

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 07:34 AM
link   
I am Sad that Martial Law will come on date of Obama Become President on 20th Jan 2009, because Obama did not still show his Birth Certificate,50 million American People are very Angry but Leberal Media is Covering the Important Matter Instead Media is Creating a Scene that Obama is the Most Liked Person in USA which is totally Lie,It Will be better to Obama to show the Birth Certificate Before 20th Jan 2009

Even after Gereral Media Like CNN,FOXNews and Other Leading Broadcasting is Covering the Obama Birth Certificate Issue but Still 2/3 of the American People are very concern about his Lie,even African-American are not Happy Becuase Obama is fact Indonasian Citizen and Born in Kenya, the real Son of Soil(Original Inhabitant of USA RedIndians) are very very angry about rewarding Obama but reality That Rewards Belongs to Original African-American(RedIndians).

My Request is Let Obama Produce his Birth Certificate,in fact Birth Certificate is not so Important but if this issue is left unnotice,Obama will become one of the Smartest and Cunning Person to Cheat and Fool 300 million American people,any way Americans are not Fool to Vote this Guy,This Fool has Cheated all Americans Becuase of the Other Political Party(Republican Party),This Part Politicial Never Brought this Important Point in the Election,even John McCain let it Loose now this Cheating of one most Powerful Country is casting Heavy Dark Shadow on American Society

This will not Stop Until This Man Obama is telling the Truth about Himself,It is Shame to Note that even Highest Justice Department is Closing Blind Eyes to this Most Critical Matter of Nation,but one all Law Official will Remember there Terrible Mistake.

Bye
GOD BLESS AMERICA

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join