Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

What if Obama is assassinated before inauguration?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 01:46 AM
link   
I am just making a guess, but the Electorial College just takes the information provided to them. I would assume that they can still cast their votes for Obama ( even if he was killed / died prior to that day )

He would be elected as per the rules outlined, then come January when a new President is sworn in, Biden would then step in and be sworn in.

My theory anyway.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by StarShin07

Interesting theory. Can they legally cast a vote for a person who no longer is living?

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wolf321

Interesting theory. Can they legally cast a vote for a person who no longer is living?

In my theory, i don't see why not. Since they are basically just casting a vote for the state they are voting under. Its not like they can go in and cast a vote for H. Ross Perot at that time. They are just following through with whatever the laws state they have to do.

Kinda like the TV show Survivor. Its filmed long before it airs ... the winner already knows who won, but can't do anything until the show airs.

Again, just my own thoughts and theories.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mercenary2007
i realize that the constitution is vague on this issue.

It is more than just vague. It's non-existent.

Also even though the electoral College hasn't voted we know how they would vote by the popular vote. the popular vote is used to determine the electoral vote.

Well, per past elections that isn't always true. There have been multiple cases in American history that show the electoral college does not always vote the way of the popular vote. The fact that each state has different rules governing how electors can vote, it can actually go contrary to the popular win.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wolf321

No. But by electing Obama, we have also elected Biden. So there is no need to cast another vote. The people have already spoken.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by 12.21.12
No. But by electing Obama, we have also elected Biden. So there is no need to cast another vote. The people have already spoken.

Partly true. The people have spoken, in the sense they chose Obama and Biden, anticipating the succession discussed in the Constitution would apply. If Obama died before the electoral vote, Biden would be technically clear to appoint a VP candidate without approval of the Congress per the Constitution or the people per an election.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 02:34 AM
link   
This talk of race riots has got me thinking.Since he is a purple person,half from Africa half White,not sure pedigree there,but you know...In the reaction scenario to this unmentionable event posited here,'Which side to chose?' becomes the question .Which brings me to my thought process here.I am for the Bill of Rights supporters,of course.But how to tell who is telling the truth when both opposing sides claim that?That becomes the question,'Who has lied to us (the most)?' Maybe it really is about the old and the young.Old men lied us into war.The leaders are always old,whether it's military or corporate or interpersonal.The old alpha putting the rest of us down and sending us off to the 'doings'
I have alot more in common with Mr Obama than Mr McCain.Especially age-wise.So these supposed battle lines are not at all clear and race war is a fantasy projected on a whole lot of different types of individuals by a few who would allege all and only 'Blacks' would do thus and such.I know quite a few white supremicist types who are very well armed and who shoot at human shaped targets often with scoped high powered rifles,preparing for this supposed eventuality,when the sickness is within their own fantasy.Especially in doing what is for all practical purposes,sniper practice.Nurturing a murderous spirit is almost as bad as doing it,The Bible equates the two,so stop it.Flat out wrong.I am all for defensive firearm practice and action,that is a different issue.Doesn't take a murderous mindset to protect your home.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 06:40 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by 12.21.12

...african americans would rebel, becoming the aggressors and the subject to martial law.

Not only African Americans would rebel!
Quit the racism!
And that’s capital *A* in African and American!

EDIT: Would you have posted this if the new President Elect was a Caucasian?

[edit on 5-11-2008 by silo13]

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I think the confusion that is this thread is very indicative of what would happen in real life. Wolf321 is absolutely correct in his statements - there is nothing in the Constitution or Electoral Law that deals with a situation.

While there has been similar situations (Robert Kennedy who was assassinated after winning several primaries and was the presumptive nominee in 1968), there is no precedent to go by.

People being what they are, there will be much fighting trying to figure out what to do. In the end, my opinion is that the DNC would have to hold a special convention to choose another candidate. Whether Biden would get the President position and they'd nominate a VP or the other way around - good question.

This has been very interesting to think about.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Hillary Clinton would become president should Obama not make it to Inauguration because she was the Dem's party's 2nd choice for Presidential ticket. If not Hillary then it would be Palen because she knows most about Russia. If not Palen, then it would be Charlton Heston because he has seen the Statue of Liberty.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Isn't Obama now going to be the third president in history to not be a mason? I believe the other two were Lincoln and Kennedy. That should say something right their...

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
reply to post by 12.21.12

...african americans would rebel, becoming the aggressors and the subject to martial law.

Not only African Americans would rebel!
Quit the racism!
And that’s capital *A* in African and American!

EDIT: Would you have posted this if the new President Elect was a Caucasian?

[edit on 5-11-2008 by silo13]

Well he is half caucasian, so um yeah. My only hope is that should something like this happen, society won't see race as an issue, but rather they would see the stranglehold our leaders have put this country in and not allow such an ill mannered manuever influence our policies.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolf321

Actually most of you are wrong. In the 25th amendment it does say that if the president were to die in office the vp would take over and that is correct, however, that is only if the president and vp were both sworn into office. President bush would remain in power because he is still the president until jan20th. Biden would not take over if it were to happen before inauguration because he has not been sworn in therefore George bush would remain president.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 04:11 PM
link   
In my opinion, who takes charge afterwards would be the least of my concern. It's rather the outrage and hatred that would be born, if such an assassination/murder would occur.

[edit on 5-11-2008 by Mammoth]

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 04:13 PM
link   
yeah if obama was assassinated , biden would become pres.

but lets hope that no one chooses to once again assassinate a president who could do a lot of good for us.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by edgecrusher2199
Isn't Obama now going to be the third president in history to not be a mason? I believe the other two were Lincoln and Kennedy. That should say something right their...
Off topic, but no. Obama will now be the 30th president in history not to be a Mason. Only 14 have been, and the last one was Ford, more than 30 years ago.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Obama hasn't been elected yet. Each party chooses their electoral college voters for each vote for each state. The vote last night was simply electing the voters for the the Electoral College vote. Therefore, if say Obama murdered someone before the Electoral college vote, in December, the people who the Democratic party chose, could still vote for McCain in the "real" election.

If Obama were assassinated, it would be up to the electoral college voters, who we elected last night, to decide.

However, since the democratic party chose these people, it's highly unlikely they would choose McCain over Biden, since one would believe, they are hardcore liberals.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Ok the way i see it is this:
Our contry voted for Obama/Biden vs. McCain/Palin.
The electorial college doesnt vote until later.
If Obama dies before they vote, then the E.C. is no longer voting on what the American people have voted on. Just as people have said, the Constitution says nothing about the President elect, so you can't say that Biden will take Obama's place. Unless the E.C. can vote on a person whos not living, I would think that McCain would win because he came in 2nd place. When you vote for something and it cant work, normally you would do whatever came in 2nd. If they dont do that then there should be a new presidential election, but that would take to long as Bush must leave office on Jan. 20., unless the whole martial law thing comes into play.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by JoshNorton

Well.....I would think that if any of that happened, the President at the time would remain in office since the elected presidents havent been sworn in yet. And maybe he would be givin another year or so till the people re-elect. who knows. Martial law maybe.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join