It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any Guitar Players in the House?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 08:11 AM
link   
fellow guitar player here. going into my third year of study. it is a lifelong commitment that is for sure. i think i know more theory than i do application. i do the tedious task of spider walking and practicing my scale patterns every day

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 03:31 PM
link   
so OP where abouts you at in your studies?
know any songs yet? smoke on the water? iron man?

if you're into them a lot of tenacious d stuff is easy.

i don't know if you have it but guitar pro is a bad ass program. thats what i used when i first started. maybe you can get access to that.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by thing fish

Uh I don't know anything all the way through but what I know the most of is probably Tears Don't Fall by BFMV and after that is Nothing Else Matters by Metallica and it pretty much goes in that direction from there on...

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   
take the time to learn a song all the way through, not just the solo or the main riff. play along with a metronome. that will really help. my hardest aspect of playing is playing in time.

you still as into it now as you were 3 months ago?

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 04:55 PM
link   
I have been playing for 4 years now! Without being modest *lol* i am pretty good at it!

I am a singer / songwriter and write songs for T.V and Films!

I am also in an acoustic project and in a band called "Modern Day Martyr"

Some advice! Don't try and learn difficult songs or expect to learn something in a matter of minutes!

Buy some books or find tutorials on the internet!

[edit on 11-12-2008 by Poet Of Deception]

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Yeah I'm really into it. There's hardly a day that goes by that I don't at least pick up the guitar and do something with it...

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Poet Of Deception

The Modern Day Martyr that's on purevolume? I searched it on google and that's what came up...

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I've been playing going on 28 yrs. I took a lot of time learning covers. But don't waste all your time on it like i did. It's great to learn techniques but very limiting since your not learning the theory behind the songs. I've been doing an original metal project for the last year or so. We just got a great drummer so the recording process has started. We got a myspace up with a couple of samples, but they have no drums on them, just drum loops. check it out if you want.
Lanimilbus

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Lanimilbus

Wow I really like that...Its just the kind of music I listen to anyway.
Definately let me know when you get the drums recorded.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Also.......
Don't stagnate yourself. I first started playing learning Black Sabbath and the Ramones. (My favorites at the time). Now I learn Lamb Of God Chimaira and 5 finger death punch. (My favorites right now). Ive got an uncle that learned Blues Stevie ray Vaughn style and never went any farther. He's great at it, but stagnant.

Edit: thanks I will keep you updated.

[edit on 11-12-2008 by Lanimilbus]

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I've been playing guitar for 22 yrs now.I play drums as well as you can tell by my name.My drums are pearl exports and my guitar is just a piece of crap.I like junk and think if you can make junk sound good then you can make a great guitar amazing sounding.I just change the pick ups and use a good amp.I have an old 70s traynor as well I use for a dif sound sometimes.
My first song was smoke on the water and hotel california.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I have played guitar for 12 years now. I play mostly metal, hard-rock, blues, and jazz. I am in a band called Eyes of Isis (Louisville, Ky) and I 4 guitars (Epiphone - Black Beauty, Dean - Razorback (dimes guitar), and a B.C. Rich Mockingbird Custom w/EMG 81 85s and floyd rose)

The first song I learned was Cumbersome by 7mary3. Man that was fun, the the obvious Smells like teen spirit, Smoke on the water, between angles and insects, and enter sandman.

Rock on brotha
-Chris-

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 05:22 PM
link   
i'm telling ya brosef. the greatest and best band in the world...the D
their songs are real easy to learn. give you some more in your arsenal.

in tribute there is this nice little phrase with a couple hammer ons...sounds sweetastic.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 05:34 PM
link   
can you get your hands on a program called guitar pro 5?
it is a sweet little diddy. i have 50k song files i will hook you up with.
it shows the notes on a guitar neck. you can stop and ff. you can slow down the tempo. it has a built in metronome.

killer program dude. i would grab that if i were you.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 05:52 PM
link   

That depends on two things...whether or not my dad will let me download it to the computer (he's VERY picky about that stuff...) and does it cost money or is it free?

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 07:05 PM
link   
well it costs money but it is also free.
know what i mean?
it is an excellent program. tabs the songs out for you in midi files so you can hear as you go. also you can see where on the fretboard you are and how the chords are formed. great program

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by louiekid333

Hey there LK,

Honestly, I've been following this since you posted it and I can't really give you any advice that has not already been given by the others that have responded here.

I hope that somewhere, while sifting thru all of the suggestions you've been given that you take the time to sit back and do what you feel. Not what is going to make you shred, not what is going to give you killer chops...what you feel.

Be it a bluesy thing, a punk thing or a glam rock or a pop rock thing, you're never going to get it unless you feel it and you need to feel this every time that you practice.

I've been playing for 20+ years, electric and acoustic, and with out the feel of what I'm doing, I'm nowhere.

Good luck to you in the future.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   
only way to get your chops up is to play anyway.
best to practice just a little every day than a lot here and there.
feel me

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Yeah I get what you're saying. Thanks for all the suggestions, I think I'm beggining to understand what its gonna take to play well...

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I can totally relate to what Thing Fish says...

Practice every day, be it for 5 min or 5 hours. He's said it right. You wont get to where you want to be by looking at your instrument.

I'm sure that TF and everyone else who plats can relate that some days you are just going to play like s##t!! Get over that hump!! We've all been there, us that have stuck with it anyway. But every day we find that time to play. Practice, practice, practice

Get off the computer and get crackin!!!!

Just kiddin, but you know what I mean

SeeYa!!

[edit on 13-12-2008 by wolf241e]

new topics

<< 1    3 >>

join