It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cure for Obesity Discovered!!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED

The controversy is does does insulin resistance cause you to become over weight or do you become insulin resistance because you are over weight.

Ah, We have a winner! Great question. The answer can be found and discussed here: www.abovetopsecret.com...'

The truth is, the cause of obesity, and the cure for it, has been known for over 100 years. Here's a question, how do you fatten up a cow? You feed it lots of grains. A high grain diet is the cheapest and quickest way to fatten a cow. Grains are carbs. Guess what, over the last 80 years or so our carbohydrate intake has increased while our fat intake has decreased.

So you tell me. Do carbs make you fat or does fat make you fat?

French scientists say they have found a drug that tricks the body into burning off fat even when on a high-fat diet.

That's werid, because pre-westernized eskimos did just fine on a diet that is almost entirely fat. They were not overfat and had 0% cancer rates. Interesting isn't it?

The fact is, high Insulin levels cause fat storage while high glucagon levels cause fat burning. How do you keep insulin levels down and glucagon levels up? Eat a diet that is adequate in fat, moderate in protein and low in carbs.

High-fat, low-carb diets cause the body to burn fat as energy, instead of sugar. Exponentially more efficient.

Originally posted by baseball101
reply to post by calihan123

i am not obese, but you must also think of the people who are incapable of doing any physical exercise i.e. handicap etc.

Exercise is neccesary for heart health, but, it's not for preventing obesity. Diet is more important.

Originally posted by StefanO
1000 calories input, 800 output....gaining weight, 1000 in, 1200 out, you loose weight. The diet industry is one of the biggest scams in history.

This is a myth. The only way one can lose weight by restricting calories alone is by eating a very restricted calorie diet. As in, 500 calories a day. Likewise, you will gain weight by eating 4000 calories a day. You have to understand though, these are extremes, are very unhealthy, and are rare. Also, you may lose weight by restricing calories but in most cases that weight is muscle, not fat.

Once again, what you eat is more important than how much you eat. Controlling metabolic hormones has a greater effect on body fat than does calorie counting.

This article is ridiculous!

-Dev

[edit on 5-11-2008 by DevolutionEvolvd]

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by baseball101

This very product is available at www.rezilience.com and yes, people who I have spoken with are losing weight w/o extreme dieting.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 12:24 AM
link   
What I find amazing is that even though dietary fat is viewed as the main cause for obesity, if one would merely take a gander at the constituents of an obese person's diet, they would come to find that most of the food this person eats can even really be considered "fatty".

I find it so amazing that fat is villainized the way it is, yet clearly most people associate the ever persistent indulgence on delicacies such as pies, cookies, pasta, rice, ice cream, cake, candy or the many other "carbohydrates" with OBESITY. I just find it funny that people who are obese really don't eat much "fattening" food, yet when they do, I guarantee it is complemented with a copious amount of carbohydrates. Steak and potatoes, spaghetti and meatballs, chicken and rice.....

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Some of these drugs they invent are good.
But you have to be careful to not prevent or cure one thing, and worsen something else.
Resveratrol derivatives can be good for certain things but liver problems have occurred in some tests some of the modern statins come from this.
And some of them can cause serious illness's.
Eventually if they keep researching it they might find something universal however, I would be fairly sure big medical and pharma would stop it before then.
Because they gain to much money and sickening power from treatments, not from cures.
Cures mean no more illness to treat.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Well, I can speak from experience as I AM a fat bastard , well at the moment at least.

So we're now replacing common sense with drugs eh ?

If you don't get enough excersice and eat mostly crap then you will in all probability be a fatty and die younger than you should.

It will be intersting to see in the future, how going from a couple of bowls of rice and the odd tiger paw a day, to an unlimited ammount of big macs with fries, will effect one of the world healthiest populations.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 06:32 PM
link   
The responses thus far are so sadly predictable. We get it, you are all clever for saying the cure for obesity is exercise. Well done, all of you.

Of course, none of that addresses the cause of thyroid malfunction or genetic disposition to obesity, or a plethora of other causes (yes, including mental and psychological)

ezinearticles.com...

Recently, a study conducted at the Boston University Medical School concluded that a very small genetic change in DNA area is the leading cause of obese propensity. The incriminated gene, its name is INSIG2, plays a strategic role in fat production and makes somebody more prone to be obese by simply changing its normal G-status into C-status (the DNA code is made up of four letters)

The conclusion is blaming people for their obesity is a bit like blaming people for being bold or short.

Take into consideration that some people are naturally fit, and can eat whatever they want, and can be couch potatoes without any dramatic weight gain, while someone who is predisposed may need to maintain a strict diet and workout regiment, just to maintain their shape.

That being said, of course not 100% of obese people can blame it on genetics. But it also means that doing the opposite - blaming it all on laziness and bad eating habits - is just as ignorant.

And before anyone decides to drop some more clever insight, no, I am not obese myself. I just cringe when others feel the need to ridicule and point fingers away from themselves, in attempt to distract their own insecurities.

Stay classy, guys.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hendu
So, instead of staying away from the pizza, eat it and don't face the consequences(sp). Good ole American way... not responsible for your actions.

Now, I know there are some w/ diseases which are uncontrollable but for most, they can just 'drop the plate, walk away'.

The whole point of our cleverness is precisely so we do not have to face consequences in that we may find a way to make our world rather than have it make us. Surrender to your environment if you like but in the process you shall perish.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hendu
So, instead of staying away from the pizza, eat it and don't face the consequences(sp). Good ole American way... not responsible for your actions.

Now, I know there are some w/ diseases which are uncontrollable but for most, they can just 'drop the plate, walk away'.

They should be forced to not drive cars or use air conditioning in their homes too. That will teach them!

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Toadmund

Oh yeah, tell that to Jarred, he can pick up the sub if he wants.

PS, some people have a slow metabolism, they can look at food and gain weight, but still, it's true, if eating the regular normal amount of calories makes one fat, those people obviously should eat less than normal.

[edit on 4-11-2008 by Toadmund]

Some people have clinical depression and other psychological disorders that cause over eating. In fact I bet most obese people have some psychological defect that makes it hard to not over eat. Most obesity is accompanied and caused by other illness or disorders so don't hate.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 08:05 PM
link   
All of these easy quick fixes that are taking up valuable time, grants, donations, etc are ridiculous. They invented diet pills, then gastric bypass, lap band and now fat burning pills? For the majority of obese people, it’s emotional, let’s fix THAT problem instead. It will actually benefit the individual on a healthier over all level. Let’s give these obese people that are already unhealthy, meds…..Ya, let’s just shorten their life span even more. Come on! Please deal with the underlying problem, not how to mask it. It’s typical of the medical profession though, to mask the problem and just manage it, not heal and cure like it should be. These are all of course my opinions. I am not intending to offend anyone and if I have, I apologize. For the individuals w/medical conditions, metabolic disorders, etc, then it’s a good thing but once again, in my opinion, I feel that the money and time etc would be put to better use on cures for pediatric diseases and more life threatening illnesses. Everybody wants an easy way out, a get rich quick scheme, etc…. we are lazy.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Oh great, another drug to be used to 'cure' a 'disease' easily treatable if people would live a bit healthier. People, your body does not process all your food as you think it does. To paraphrase Jasper Carrot, one hole is bigger than the other.

The cure for obesity has been around since the year dot, start excercising, stop eating rubbish and cease the destructive western lifestyle that's killing you.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 08:58 PM
link   
A few years back my cholestral was high. Ate low fat. walked a couple of miles everyday. Lost 30 lbs. Had it checked again and it was HIGHER than before. Pissed me off...lol Did the low card thing and cholestral went down. So I am on the low carb side as being the answer for better health.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by baseball101

Trust me, thats me..I can eat a high-fat diet and won't and gain any weight. But believe me when I say this...just because you look fit, doesn't mean you are.

I used to be a tri-season athlete in highschool (fall,winter,spring), I played all sport ranging from cross-country to soccer to lacrosse. I was in the best shape thus far in my life back then. I could run 5 miles without getting tired.

Fast forward three years, I haven't exercise since I graduate high school. The most I've ever done was jog on the treadmill, and thats once in a blue moon. I feel like I'm in the worse shape of my life, my heart at time feels strain. I could barely run a mile, without feeling out of breath, light-headed, and the desire to just throw-up.

High metabolism only does so much, you look in shape, but if you continue to eat a high-fat diet, I can guarantee you, you'll die before you know it.

That being said, I do add some green in my diet, but I'm sure that just does oh so much. Even though I look fine, I'm currently trying to make an effort to push myself to get back in shape and beyond!!

To sum up my rambling, what I'm trying to say is, screw miracle drugs or cure, if you want to be in shape, just exercise and eat healthier. Granted I know some people have genetically obese, but still that shouldn't stop you from doing the two.

[edit on 5-11-2008 by skyblueff0]

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Bull. There are tons of things people do that are health risks that do not receive the same kind of aggression and taunting. I have yet to see mobs of posters jumping in to accuse someone riding a motorbike as being unsafe, for example. There is a moralistic tone in this pack mentality that goes beyond concern for others. Additionally, losing weight is not as simple as you all make it out to be. I used to be overweight, and lost it years ago, but I was exausted, bitchy and hungry the entire time. If I had had to hold down a full time job and support a family at that time I'm sure it would have been impossible. Not to mention the distrust I have of shallow people like yourselves that I have gained since loosing weight. I'm suddenly privy to 'fat jokes' and come-ons from guys who wouldn't have looked at me twice when I was heavier. If I wasn't concerned about health I would go out of my way to gain weight back, just to insulate myself from jerks like yourself.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 12:02 PM
link   
**ATTENTION**

Snarky one-line comments or simplistic solutions for obesity, a complex problem, are not welcome in this thread.

The topic is the medical research, "Cure for Obesity Discovered".

Please stay on topic. Sniping will be OT or Mannered from here on.

Thanks for your input and happy posting.

-Badge01
Forum Moderator

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Thanks Badge, I for one am overweight as those on the board who have met me will attest to. However I have medical reasons why I will not go into here as well as genetic predisposition. Let me also say that I am energetic and very active, rarely will you find me sitting on my fat butt. I find this discovery amazing and a possible answer to my personal delema.

I find it always sad and deppressing for people to look at me and say just drop the fork. I usually eat one meal a day and yet I still suffer. I am not physically able to jog or even walk well some days. If I could loose some of the weight, I may be able then to change my ability to exercise, it has been a catch 22.

I will have to look into this further...

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Is there really a need for this 'cure'?

I'm 6 foot dead on. According to the health gurus, I'm supposed to weight somewhere around 188 pounds.

I'm currently at 215 which according to some body mass index thing I found on the web, puts me on the borderline between overweight and obese.

Here's the thing . . . I've got a flat belly, nothing hanging over the sides and wear a size 32 waist, regular fit pant.

Do I need to take a pill . . . do I need to be cured?

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by GoalPoster

i'm guessing you don't need this unless you believe it's really a problem for you which it isn't ... i'm guessing this is for the people who really have a bad problem ... i mean it could really change some peoples lives who really need it

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by scientist
Of course, none of that addresses the cause of thyroid malfunction or genetic disposition to obesity, or a plethora of other causes (yes, including mental and psychological)

ezinearticles.com...

Recently, a study conducted at the Boston University Medical School concluded that a very small genetic change in DNA area is the leading cause of obese propensity. The incriminated gene, its name is INSIG2, plays a strategic role in fat production and makes somebody more prone to be obese by simply changing its normal G-status into C-status (the DNA code is made up of four letters)

The conclusion is blaming people for their obesity is a bit like blaming people for being bold or short.

When was the last time you saw a short person grow tall after eating an optimum diet? I bolded the part of that quote that quote that should be emphasized. Genetic Predisposition, or being prone to something, does not force an individual to suffer from a that predetermined ailment. It does, however, mean that the person is more susceptible to becoming, let's say, obese if he/she doesn't eat right.

Yes there are psychological reasons for obesity. Those people have an addiction to food because it makes them feel better. For those people, this drug may be helpful as a last resort or in combination of some other therapy. New research, within the past 10 years, has shown that thyroid malfunction may not be a cause of obesity, but a symptom of it.

I agree with you, maybe more than you realize. Hormones are the reason for obesity. Just not the hormones you're thinking of. The metabolic hormones Insulin and Glucagon, and one other, Leptin. Leptin regulates the thyroid, which regulates metabolism. So, go figure.

And before anyone decides to drop some more clever insight, no, I am not obese myself. I just cringe when others feel the need to ridicule and point fingers away from themselves, in attempt to distract their own insecurities.

Stay classy, guys.

It's sad isn't it. All I'm doing is trying to help. I help overfat people almost daily as a profession. People are just unedcuated on the metabolic effects of the food they eat. Ridiculing and pointing fingers needs to stop. If you don't have something of value to add to the thread, don't post.

-Dev

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by GoalPoster
I'm 6 foot dead on. According to the health gurus, I'm supposed to weight somewhere around 188 pounds.

I'm currently at 215 which according to some body mass index thing I found on the web, puts me on the borderline between overweight and obese.

Here's the thing . . . I've got a flat belly, nothing hanging over the sides and wear a size 32 waist, regular fit pant.

Do I need to take a pill . . . do I need to be cured?

Haha, no. The problem with obesity and overfat is not about being heavy, it's about body fat. BMI caculates both fat and muscle. So if your lean body mass is high, you would be considered obese, even if you're probably only a little overfat. What you need to find is your Body Fat % and your Lean Body Mass %. Here's a caculator that works great. Here's a chart to figure what your body fat % should be.....

Women Men
Essential fat 10-12% 2-4%
Athletes 14-20% 6-13%
Fitness 21-24% 14-17%
Acceptable 25-31% 18-25%
Obese 32% or more 26% or more

-Dev

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join