It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cure for Obesity Discovered!!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by calihan123

You are very Wrong !
If you can not move enough to burn Any Caloric Intake off what do you suppose happens to those calories.
Inactivity of muscle mass slowly turns to fat.

Now how does a person who lives in a wheel chair or bed burn fat ???

By the way thin folks arn't necessarily healthy.

[edit on 4-11-2008 by azureskys]

[edit on 4-11-2008 by azureskys]

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by calihan123

no *snip* why do you think they've been trying to create a cure?

some people just don't have the energy or drive to fix their addiction and this will finally give them hope

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 10:16 PM
link   
The use of certain binding-agent 'bulking' additives to processed food could well be the root cause.

These agents are designed so that one end of the molecule chain is attracted to fats, and the other, water. When ingested in any quantity, the body will absorb these binders and they lodge one end in the body-fat, whilst the other end retains water, so increasing the bulk of the body

the simplest solution is don't eat processed sh..... you get the idea

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by baseball101

Overweight, obese, and morbitly obese are different levels of the problem of being too heavy.

For the great many people, it comes from an emotional issue of some sort.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by StefanO
Get the fork out of your mouth...........Problem solved.....HONESTLY.

this is of course a stereotype

it is well known that many people who are fat eat a LOT less than the people who are thin

from

ezinearticles.com...

Most overweight people are actually eating less than slender people. That does not seem to make sense, but it is true. The problem lies with how the body is able to burn or utilize the calories from the foods we eat. Thinner people simply burn off more calories, or energy, than heavy people do.

and

www.american.com...

Researchers have found that the bodies of formerly fat people and naturally thin people are not alike, even when they weigh the same. The formerly fat will require far fewer calories to maintain their weight. While naturally thin people can fatten themselves up briefly (as a few actresses have done for parts), they lose the weight effortlessly afterwards. Naturally fat people’s bodies, on the other hand, want to stay fat. To become and stay thin, a formerly fat person has to eat far fewer calories than his naturally thin counterpart—fewer than he’d like, and fewer than will be comfortable. One famous World War II-era study of conscientious objectors restricted to half their normal food intake showed that they soon became obsessed. They dreamed of food. They developed elaborate rituals. Few people can live like this for long, no matter how disciplined they may be.

end of quote

so may i request that you choose not to be judgmental without learning a lot more facts

cheers

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I know a sure way to lose weight. It never fails and science already supports it.

Put down the fork brush the potato chips off your shirt and exercise.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 10:38 PM
link   
great, now lets find a cure for the starving children of the world.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by jaden_x

agreed ...

we just have to take the cures one at a time i guess ... but hey they're still cures

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 10:46 PM
link   

PS, some people have a slow metabolism, they can look at food and gain weight, but still, it's true, if eating the regular normal amount of calories makes one fat, those people obviously should eat less than normal.

These people should find a better doctor that will test for insulin resistance/metabolic syndrome/syndrome X

That is where the insulin receptors in the tissues of the body don't work properly
This causes the body to put out more insulin,trying to correct the low amounts of usable sugar/insulin energy source. this leads to fatigue.
The high insulin level causes you to gain weight because when the muscles an organs can not use it the body stores the sugar/insulin mix as fat.

The controversy is does does insulin resistance cause you to become over weight or do you become insulin resistance because you are over weight.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 10:47 PM
link   
well, i don't see any sense in a cure for something you are addicted to doing.
i'd understand if obesity was a contagious disease, but if you eat until you're sick, then you asked for it. they should invest the money on something more important. there's no cure for slow motion suicide. but you know how it is, hospitals and doctors would be out of service if there was no one to cure and treat.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Well, as weight gain can be a symptom of depression, and also become an additional cause of that depression, and depression makes it hard to lose weight or be motivated to do anything at all, i think this might be great for people suffering from emotional issues. After all, losing weight helps you feel better and can alleviate one of the reasons for your stress while you work on the others. It is much easier to maintain health when you are healthy, and much harder to work towards health when you are not. I say, this could be a good thing. Just because some may abuse it is no reason to keep it from a single person whose life might be made better because of it.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED
These people should find a better doctor that will test for insulin resistance/metabolic syndrome/syndrome X

Another factor that should be considered/tested-for is hypo-thyroidism which depresses metabolic activity and also psychological factors such as motivation

It's an increasingly common disorder and due to a lack of iodine in the diet

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 11:06 PM
link   

From source:
"This sounds interesting but is terribly early.

I've seen so many drugs that at this stage of development hold promise for great things but later prove either ineffective or have too many side effects. Look at the drug Vioxx. It was a wonderfully effective drug for symptoms of arthritis and people loved it. But years later it was proven to increase incidence of heart attack.

This drug has only been tested in mice. Who knows if it will even be effective in humans? We won't have long term toxicity data for 10 or so years!

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 11:12 PM
link   
I, working on a psyche ward, have also seen on a regular basis people who get put on certain psyche meds and gain 40-70lbs in a single month, this is a regular thing. Such meds would be great to help them.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Toadmund

I need to correct what you said about eating less...
I always had control of my weight and never had an issue, but all of a sudden something went wrong...

This was my diet:
Am before work, walk for an hour.
Breakfast...fruit...
snack...homemade no sugar yogurt with some nuts or small amount of fruit
lunch...a salad sometimes with nuts and braggs amieno acids and some kind of vegetable (a starch/carb source) no butter ,
after that a 45 min walk.
afternoon snack if hungry a variation of the above snack
dinner...fish was usually the source of protein (sometimes chicken...white meat)
salad or vegie soup or both if hungry.
Tons of water...at LEAST 10 8oz. No coffee, no milk, soda or alcohol.
Sounds great huh???
Heres the kicker...I could not loose weight... I Gained weight!!!!!
I joined weight watchers...following their diet I GAINED 24 in 3 wks!!!!!!
I have tried Atkins...nothing
Worked with dietician for months...and nothing...trying to rev up metab and that did nothing for me neither!!
I have tried many other diets and nothing.
I can starve myself all day and night...I don't even really like to eat...so to me, its not an emotional thing...
I have been told by doctors that I am a liar, a closet eater and others just look at me with disgust as do other people in our society. I am judged and put in that "just put your fork down" group and it really hurts because I DON'T WANT TO BE FAT!! I feel like s**t...I don't like the way I look...I know what it is like to be healthy and yet have no control over this.
So I guess the point of story is...not ALL ppl are fat because they don't put their fork down and we should really not judge because it NOT always what you are thinking...

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hendu
So, instead of staying away from the pizza, eat it and don't face the consequences(sp). Good ole American way... not responsible for your actions.

Now, I know there are some w/ diseases which are uncontrollable but for most, they can just 'drop the plate, walk away'.

"French scientists say "

Someones always gotta thrown the USA hate in there huh. Read the article before before taking the foot out of your mouth.

That being said. I would be interested in the part of helping with blood sugar as diabetes runs in my family regardless of weight.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 11:23 PM
link   

i know that's the interesting thing people can still have a high-fat diet yet they won't gain weight.

Carbs are sugar or starches that the body turns to sugars.
[edit on 4-11-2008 by ANNED]

I think what you meant to say is:

"Carbs are sugar or starches that the body turns to stored fat."

-

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 11:33 PM
link   
The main cause of obesity is plain laziness....end of story.

I was once plagued with being overweight...but I corrected it and built myself up, the proper way.

Of course, I'm not talking about people with diseases, or side effects of some drugs to treat some diseases, those people are naturally excused. I'm talking about the couch potato that refuses to get his lazy ass up, head to the gym...or at least anywhere outside and burn some calories. I'm talking about the fat kid who complains that people shouldn't make fun of him because he's fat...well...no, they shouldn't. They should make fun of you because you're lazy.

And if you don't want to lose weight to please anyone else...do it to please yourself and you body. Because, when you take care of your body...it takes care of you.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 11:50 PM
link   

i know that's the interesting thing people can still have a high-fat diet yet they won't gain weight.

A high fat diet does not cause weight gain

A high carbohydrate diet causes weight gain

That is why when many of the people that have been fooled by the weight loss industry try a low fat diet the seldom lose weight and many gain weight.

It is also why people on a Atkins diet lose weight and a Atkins diet is a very low card and high fat diet.

Carbs are sugar or starches that the body turns to sugars.

When food manufacturers label food LOW FAT you will find the 98% have higher carb content then the standard non low fat product.
This is because the manufacturers raise the carb content when they lower the fat content so that you will not lose weight.

These manufacturers DON"T want you to lose weight.
They want you TO GAIN weight.
That way you will buy even more of there product.

[edit on 4-11-2008 by ANNED]

low fat products always are higher in sugar than their high fat counterpart

I think some people do well on high carbs and some people do well on high protein
no one diet suits everyone - we are all different

I myself am highly allergic to carbs - so I dont have a choice - I have to have the protein and avoid the carbs

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Well, too, the standard american diet is loaded with processed garbage that translates to alot of fat, plus many people are working lots of overtime at desk or low action jobs, but that leaves them little energy or motivation when they are home. I know most of the older people i work with in hospitals become quite fat due to a lifetime of working 12 hour shifts, nights and days, irregular sleeping patterns, eating on the go, etc. These things all wear on you and make it difficult to maintain, and this is for the majority of the people i work with.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join