It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CNN Holograms Debut With Jessica Yellin Figure

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   
The hologram technology was developed by Norwegian company Vizrt. CNN asked Vizrt five years ago, and this is the result.

edit to add:
Major US Broadcasters Chose Vizrt for Presidential Elections

Bergen, Norway, October 28, 2008, Vizrt Ltd. (Frankfurt Prime Standard, Oslo Main List: VIZ) today announces that 4 US networks will use Vizrt during the November 4th Presidential elections.

[edit on 2008/11/5 by Hellmutt]

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt
The hologram technology was developed by Norwegian company Vizrt. CNN asked Vizrt five years ago, and this is the result.

edit to add:
Major US Broadcasters Chose Vizrt for Presidential Elections

Bergen, Norway, October 28, 2008, Vizrt Ltd. (Frankfurt Prime Standard, Oslo Main List: VIZ) today announces that 4 US networks will use Vizrt during the November 4th Presidential elections.

[edit on 2008/11/5 by Hellmutt]

lets not call it hologram. That company doesn't even call it a hologram:

* Viz Artist: a design application to create animated 2D/3D graphics
* Viz Engine: a real-time rendering engine to play out graphics both in SD and HD
* Viz Content Pilot: a template based system aimed at journalists
* Viz Trio: a real-time 3D character generator
* Viz Ardome: a highly scalable Media Asset Management solution
* Viz Video Hub: a plug-and-play Media Asset Management system

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Not really holograms.... sorry. Wolf Blitzer couldn't see her. It is post production, just like the yellow lines in NFL games. This time however, they crossed that technology with the technology from the Matrix that allowed them to pan around the actors in 'mid air'.

I guess it is exciting to the viewing audience, but hardly anything close to a hologram. It is more like a computer controller synchronization of cameras of a long distance, but the overall technology/acting techniques is the same used in the Roger Rabbit movies...

It is cooler than having a person swarmed in a crowd I guess...
DocMoreau

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by scientist

lets not call it hologram. That company doesn't even call it a hologram

Ok, fine. Replace it with "this new technology" instead. I didn't know what else to call it, and used the title of this thread. The no-planes speculations and 911 was not in my mind at all...

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 06:15 PM
link   
To me, CNN calling that a hologram was just like Ted Stevens calling the internet a "series of tubes."

[edit on 5-11-2008 by scientist]

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 10:18 PM
link   
real-time 3D rendering engine
How about that.
Microsoft had that years ago.
So when will this ever be needed again.
Without the corny Star Wars lead in... wow that was something
out of Star Trek as well... phony is as phony does.

We could have use decent real-time 3D rendering to take the phony
out of some critical times in the past.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by ufo reality
I wish they could improve the quality and get rid of the light blue fuzz around her.

I actually thought the blue fuzz was pretty sweeet! It was just like star wars!! It was pretty shocking how they did it. I was reading about it on CNN and I guess it requires alot of hardware and computing power.. THIS is how it works..

On the subject's side:
• 35 HD cameras pointed at the subject in a ring
• Different cameras shoot at different angles (like the matrix), to transmit the entire body image
• The cameras are hooked up to the cameras in home base in NY, synchronizing the angles so perspective is right
• The system is set up in trailers outside Obama and McCain HQ
• Not only is it mechanical tracking via camera communication, there's infrared as well
• Correspondents see a 37-inch plasma where the return feed of the combined images are fed back to them. Useful for a misplaced hair or an unseemly boogar
• Twenty "computers" are crunching this data in order to make it usable

On the HQ side:
• Only used on two out of 40-something total camera feeds that CNN has
• Wolf Blitzer really loves it (or loves Jessica Yellin):

It's still Jessica Yellin and you look like Jessica Yellin and we know you are Jessica Yellin. I think a lot of people are nervous out there. All right, Jessica. You were a terrific hologram.

• The delay is either minimal, or we've gotten used to satellite delay that we don't even notice now
• An array of computers takes the crunched info feed from the subject's side in order to mesh it with the video from Wolf's side.
• Unfortunately, it doesn't look like the images are actually "projected" onto the floor of the CNN studio so that Wolf can actually talk to the person, you know, in a face to face. So it's not quite Star Wars just yet. Only after computers merge the video feeds together do you get a coherent hologram + person scenario

Here's the complete interview with Jessica Yellin

-ChriS

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by scientist

Yeah and even though he was just convicted in federal court of corruption after 40+ years in Senatorial service he is supposedly going to win the senate seat up here (which is beyond me.. especially as an Alaskan citizen).. However, the official numbers won't be in for another couple weeks.. But I had to share this since you brought it up. One of my all time fav's!!!!

or this one

-ChriS

[edit on 5-11-2008 by BlasteR]

[edit on 5-11-2008 by BlasteR]

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 04:24 AM
link   
A japanese rock band used a hologram to get their dead guitarist back on stage. That was definitely not a green screen/post production or anything like that, because everyone could see it.

www.youtube.com...

At 3:13

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Looking at the lack of translucency it looks more like and overlay with position sensitive cameras at either end.

Now these are more realistic "holograms" although again it's all just smoke and mirrors... Shame

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Funny there's actually an article on the Sydney Morning Herald's website entitled 'CNN's 'holograms' just smoke and mirrors.'

www.smh.com.au...

In what was billed as a world-first, Yellin appeared to be beamed from Chicago into the network's New York studio for an interview with anchor Wolf Blitzer. But, in fact, Blitzer was looking at little more than a red mark on the floor.

Meanwhile CNN is still referring to it as a hologram, but they seem to be trying to laugh off any criticism coming their way:

'We do serious journalism, but we also have fun. This is fun. This is about what we can do, about pushing the envelope and pushing the boundaries,' she said. 'Someday when this is even more advanced, having a fuller visual field for interview subjects could give viewers even more of a sense of people.'

Now, in hindsight, Yellin only wishes she could have come up with a better 'Star Wars' joke.

'I was thinking of making an Obi-Wan Kenobi joke -- Obi-Wolf Kenobi,' she said, laughing, 'but I couldn't figure out the pun.'

edition.cnn.com...

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Well i found this video on youtube which i find really cool about this stuff.

Holograms

[edit on 6-11-2008 by Fatality]

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by TeslaandLyne
real-time 3D rendering engine
How about that.
Microsoft had that years ago.
So when will this ever be needed again.
Without the corny Star Wars lead in... wow that was something
out of Star Trek as well... phony is as phony does.

We could have use decent real-time 3D rendering to take the phony
out of some critical times in the past.

I don't think they said it was new.. I think Wolf just said that it was a first on live television.. And it was definately a first for CNN. It's neat technology but pretty over the top... There isn't anything at all wrong with a huge plasma screen television. Wolf Blitzer said that it was so that they didn't have to look at the screaming crowds in the background.. But they do all of this in a tent anyway.... Pretty stupid in a way.

-ChriS

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 03:18 AM
link   
They should have just used this tech at least they would be able to see it.

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 12:06 AM
link   
I knew right from the moment the broadcast started that it wasn't a real hologram. Technology just hasn't come that far yet, and and I thought it was a funny gimmick for ratings at first. But after seriously thinking about this some more, I'm kind of angry and in disbelief over their use of the term "hologram".

It would be one thing if they were just joking about it being like a Star Wars hologram thing, but they were actually calling these digital-effects a hologram. This is like calling TV teleportation because you can see a person in front of you. They aren't even close to each other. They outright lied to people on international television by calling that a hologram.

And people were actually falling for it too, which is what upsets me. Many people I talked to thought there was a projection of the reporter in 3D inside the studio, which there wasn't.

It just scares me to think about how much BS people will believe if it's fed to them by mainstream media.

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by grover

No we haven't actually made that much progress in holograms, it's a fau hologram, a tv compositing effect, the big progress is that it is done on the fly, that's why she has that terrible outline, which would not be present with an actual hologram because it's an artifact of fast automated compositing.

Don't be so gullable, it's on tv. tv = make believe.

(besides you can look up how they did it online, several "geek" tech-sites have featured an article on the process.)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join