It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CNN Holograms Debut With Jessica Yellin Figure

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Beam me down scotty. Well I didnt like her flairs they were huge

Whatever it is 'technically' who cares its the beginnings of hologram technology and thats what they call it so lets roll with it. God help us all if they get blue beam running full speed. (figure of speech with the God part. lol)

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Yes it was a pitiful attempt at making the public think it is real hologram technology simply for ratings purposes. This is a real hologram.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I don't know whether what CNN used was a real hologram or not, but can anyone explain to me how they used the 3d "hologram" of the senate seats and the capitol building? Seemed pretty real to me, but like i said, i'm not sure if it was real or just a gimmick.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 11:24 PM
link   
This was absolutely ridiculous.

I say I really feel let down yet again by poor technology.
Especially when I know they can do better.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Wow, this is so obviously an overlay on the video using blue screen.

Basically, she's standing in front of a blue screen, and the image is transmitted.

In the CNN news room, they can't actually see her, all they've done is superimposed her onto the screen, minus the blue screen behind her... It's pretty poorly done, hence why they opted to go with a blue outline, as they can't effectively eliminate the blueish refraction on her clothes.

It's ancient technology, not a hologram, just a superimposed image on your end of the TV. Wolf can't actually see her.

I was hoping it would be real holographic technology... man did I ever feel let down when I saw the telltale blue outline.

If it were an actual hologram, you wouldn't have the obvious perspective discrepancy either.

Man, they must really be banking on American audiences being gullible.
Then again, it IS an American media outlet... hardly on par with what the entire rest of the world considers actual news outlets.

[edit on 5-11-2008 by johnsky]

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 12:53 AM
link   
I only saw the Will I Am
I knew it wasn't real.

One give it away was the beam in effect. It looked like a dissolve transition from powerpoint. It was 2d and there was no perspective or lighting on it at all. So it wasn't in the studio. It really looked like an effect from a 1990's episode of Bill Nye The Science Guy or some show.

The second point was that Cooper kept staring off to the right below the camera at a monitor, and darting his eyes back to the general direction of Will I Am. He would look mostly off screen when Will I Am was talking, and when he would look back his eyes seemed to focus on different areas. You could just tell he was looking at an area and looking at WIll I Am on the screen.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 01:00 AM
link   
yeah, yeah naysayers

I think this is Real

Not because I think your all wrong about the tech...

But because I have to hang on to my dream of getting Jenna Jameson hooked up into one of these systems.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Green/blue screening will always look fake to me simply because they haven't perfected duplicating the same lighting conditions on the projection as exist in the location it is being projected.
I am sure it will get better.
Even the existing examples of real holograms still look like glorified scrims which they've been using in stage shows for, like, ever.
Basically, you drape a screen in front of the actors and depending on the lighting conditions, you can make the scrim appear to be transparent, but when you project light onto the front of the scrim, it appears to be superimposed in front of the actor.
This is still a long ways from simulating a 3D object, though, because it is still being projected onto a flat surface.

Think of this from a computer graphics standpoint and how 3D objects are rendered. Basically, they are made up of multiple triangles forming the shape of the object and then textures are applied to the faces of these polygons.
At first, the 3D shapes were crude...trees would consist of a pair of bisecting flat panels with a 2D picture of a tree on each one. In some cases, you'd only get a single panel for an effect(say an enemy coming at you in doom) which was always held at a perpendicular angle to your point of view so it was always "facing" you.

Not until we are able to project a convincing texture onto an equally convincing 3D projection surface will this kind of "holographic projection" be anything but a wannabe. Until then, in most situations it will look anything but convincing and remain a gimmick.

When it is perfected, I would guess that you will also be able to physically interact with the hologram, but at that point, we're into a whole new ballgame because it's not just a 'graphic anymore.
Imagine a dynamic projection surface capable of mirroring the image being projected. Graphical AND physical texture simulation as opposed to simple duplication.
They will take onlives of their own.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Here's my version :
At one location, you have the subject beeing filmed in front of a chromakey screen (the green or blue sheet), blue here.
The camera is mounted on some kind of mechanised arm, recording all its movements. These movements are transmitted (miracles of the internet) to another arm in the HQ. This one replicates the original moves, trying to preserve the same angle and stuff.
The vid feed is keyed out (making the sheet disappear and leaving only the silhouette) and goes thru some live compositing app adding these stupid static and beaming effects.
Cause they dont really need them, but they think it will make it look more real.
Yeah right....
Nice trick, but very far from a hologram.

PS : think of the tech they're trying to develop so that doctors can operate from a distance, guiding a robotic arm. It's the same stuff applied the a camera arm.

[edit on 5-11-2008 by Chrysalis]

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   
A sprite put into the video.
Can't say much more than that... they lied or what you saw
is what Wolf Blitzer saw.. how do we know.
Lot of people see 911 differently now after a year or so ..
perhaps Wolf will come clean on the gram or not.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptGizmo
This is a real hologram.
[Kate Moss video]

Acutally, it's not. I'll try to explain it to you. Notice the pyramid structure. 4 Layers of glass, all pointing directly to one side of the audience (notice the 4 blocks). So every block is sitting directly to the opposite of glass in a about 45° angle. Then the 2-dimensional image feed is simply projected to the glass layers in the right angle.

Magicians used this effect for decades (1862 to be exactly), it's called Peppers_Ghost. You just need a setup like this: Peppers ghost setup.

You can actually make your own "hologram" in 30 minutes with a cost of a view dollars. Here's how:

Simliar technique was used for the Gorillaz performing at the MTV event. It wasn't a hologram, but a clever visual effect. They use a digital animation feed projectected onto a special layer of transparent foil. This layer is between the stage and the audience, so the real performers on the stage appear to interact with the hologram from the audience's perspective, while the performers themselves see a twisted image at a weird angle.

Holographic technology is just making it's first step and far away from mid-air free-floating 3-D animations that can be viewed from any angle. The first real, rewritable holographic devices are just able to display some one-colored points, and far away from being real-size 3D reporters. (I'll post a real hologramm, when I dugg up that link...)

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Here's a video of acutal holography (free-floating light points spread over two dimensions, thus creating a holographic display in the air without the use of a transparent foil layer):

This is the latest high-end rewritable holography technology that I am aware off. It's still two dimensional, but I'm sure it will evolve. Everything else is just two dimensional video feeds projected to transparent layers that only work with a certain perspective to create the effect of being three dimensional, while in fact they are not.

[edit on 5.11.2008 by SiONiX]

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 03:32 PM
link   
if your watching cnn apparently they are going to reveal how they did it in a few moments.

i'm leaning green/blue with cameras all around, then placing on the screen(i dont think that made sense.)

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptGizmo
I was watching that and started cracking up at how fake it was. Please tell me you guys don't believe that was real.
It was so bad and ridiculous watching that twit Wolf Blitzer talking to a supposed hologram that was not really there that i spit my coffee out. I said to the little woman that John Stewart of the daily show is going to have a field day with that tonight.

Im glad im not the only one that realized right away that it was NOT a hologram. This is basically the same technology that was used in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" only they added some more stuff to show various angles. It's no different than the fake 3d set props they show (columns, 3d maps, etc.)

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I'm not really sure what the whole point of that hologram deal was other than to fool us into what is supposed to be cutting-edge hologram technology. What better way to get over on the population when 'they' break out the real looking holograms on us.

Peace

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I think this falls along the lines of a subtle form of 'shock and awe' to most viewers, especially the non tech savvy crowd. Its just weird the timing of them doing this, why I wonder?

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Yeah more phony video terror to come.
Orson Wells played to penultimate for the TV terror crowd on 9/11/01.
What is next from these creeps.
Well it shocked me as this was put on a spot in regular news programming.
King Kong Alien climbs the Freedom Tower and punches a hole and it
all goes down like Niagara Falls.
Some think tank spook must have submitted that to the head Illuminati by
now for a sweet bonus.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by 4N6310
At first, the 3D shapes were crude...trees would consist of a pair of bisecting flat panels with a 2D picture of a tree on each one. In some cases, you'd only get a single panel for an effect(say an enemy coming at you in doom) which was always held at a perpendicular angle to your point of view so it was always "facing" you.

You may want to check out FarCry2 if you haven't, its engine has made great step towards photo-realistic dynamic environment:

Fog, Fire, Storms, Rain, it's awesome.

I don't think that our generation (I'm in my twenties now) will ever witness a type I style interplanetary or even -stellar civilization, but if we're lucky, we can experience it in a completely realistic "Cyberspace", imagine the possibilites.

The whole Star Wars Galaxy could be rendered, Massive Multiplayer Online Style. Think of Second Life goes interstellar. We could experience it like it was real, because if we won't make it to post-biological mind uploading to neural networks that would extend our lifes and possiblities extremely it would be our only chance.

Sounds crazy? Sure. But I love it. I'm ready to go post-biological. Its only natural evolution, to quote a great article from a mainstream science site:

If extraterrestrials are out there, they likely live in much older civilizations than ours, and have already transitioned through biology and into technology. The majority of worlds out there are already postbiological.

(UniverseToday)

[edit on 5.11.2008 by SiONiX]

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Wow the elite really do know what they're doing. Once the use of holograms is accepted and used, they will have the power to inform us of what is reality and what is not. Just one more way for them to control people.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 05:39 PM
link   
The stupidity of some people truly astounds me!

She is in a location being filmed by several cameras to capture her image from as many angles as possible.
She is standing in a tent (the same set up as 'green screen') to enable that specific color to be digitally removed real-time.

The images are beamed back to the studio, where they are superimposed onto the already computer generated image of the set. He is talking into space, in an empty studio, she is in a tent somewhere else, there is no "holographic" technology here!

The only advance they have made here is the coordination between camera angles to create the illusion that they are both being filmed from the same camera.

The fact that they have suggested that this is holographic technology displays either their complete ignorance, or their blatant attempt to fool their viewers. Judging by the number of people who think this is real, they are a little of both!

Please, someone tell me they understand the simplicity of this! You can't all be so stupid, can you?

Edited to add a little chuckle at the idea of "No Child Left Behind"

[edit on 5-11-2008 by detachedindividual]

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join