It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

JSF on HMS Illustrious

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I was watching this article on BBC and noticed at 1.52 an F-35 on deck.
Bearing in mind the recent murmuring about scrapping it, this seems like quite a strong singal, to take it into the centre of the capital.

BBC Link

Jensy

Edited due to awful spelling.

[edit on 4/11/08 by jensy]

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 02:06 AM
link   
£10 says its a model - since theres 1 F-35B and she hasn`t flown yet....

also did you notice the RAF at 1.49?

at present the F-35B is too heavy to operate from `lusty` anyway - the take off run , even with the ramp is 10m too long (lockheed figures)

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Very well spotted,

But I thought that the original idea was to have the 35s operating from the 3 'Vinces as a replacement for the Sea Harrier (until it became delayed and the Sea Harrier was just replaced by its less able cousin)?

Jensy

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 09:12 PM
link   
i am lucky enough to work in one of the greenwich pubs, so i asked one of the sailor about the f 35 and he confirmed it its just a model althought he said its cost £1.3 million he said its from lockheed they will show it to politicans and other lucky guests wednesday evening.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 12:44 AM
link   
It was a Mock-up F-35. The royal navy said so.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Harlequin

The F-35B hasn't flown yet?

I was under the impression that it has had its first flight, but it never did STOVL tests or flew under the lift fan yet.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by ShatteredSkies

it hasn`t flown - its based upon lockheeds own figures - i posted a link ages back but the weight increase coupled with no power increase has forced the longer take off run - whats sad is at present the F-35B operating from the new carriers won`t actually have a useful load out

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 05:33 PM
link   
F-35B first flight

F-35B First Flight

F-35B First Flight

(From the last article)

The first Lockheed Martin F-35B short takeoff/vertical landing stealth fighter takes off from Lockheed Aeronautics in Fort Worth, Texas, on its inaugural flight Wednesday, June 11. The jet, which will be used by the U.S. Marine Corps, the United Kingdom and Italy, is the first aircraft to combine stealth with supersonic speed and short takeoff/vertical landing capability.

It appears to me that the F-35B STOVL has in fact had it's first flight.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 02:04 AM
link   
wow so it has in fact done a VTOL take off and a STOVL take off

oh wait i can be just as sarcastic

the STOVL numbers for the distance take off roll were given by lockheed themselves as it hasn`t been flown like that yet.

edit : spelling

[edit on 7/11/08 by Harlequin]

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Where in ANY of my posts did I say it had performed VTOL and STOVL maneuvers? Go and find it for me.

I could have swore I had stated that the F-35B HADN'T. If that's what you're being sarcastic about, I don't understand what the point to your post is.

So why the confusion?

Shattered OUT...

[edit on 7-11-2008 by ShatteredSkies]

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShatteredSkies
The F-35B hasn't flown yet?
I was under the impression that it has had its first flight, but it never did STOVL tests or flew under the lift fan yet.
Shattered OUT...

Ummm Har? This was posted no more then 4 posts above the one which you blasted him for saying it has done VTOL or STOL landings/TO.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 09:42 AM
link   
i didn`t read that when i hit reply , so please accept my humble apologise - ; what i was trying to get at is ; for STOVL ramp take off`s - the only useable figures at this time are thos published by lockheed , which are based upon available power vs weight - and its those figures which give the take off run at being longer than the deck space of the UK Invincible class carriers.

the bloat has caused an issue - and even now the RN are concerned , quietly , of the actually weapons fit they could use on the F-35B that they would recieve.

new topics

top topics

join