It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More Utility Bills Go Unpaid

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 08:06 PM
link   

More Utility Bills Go Unpaid

online.wsj.com

Utilities are becoming more aggressive about collecting money from delinquent customers, leading to a surge in service shutdowns just as economic woes are pushing up the number of households falling behind on bills.

The utilities say they are under pressure to clean out accounts that are weighing down their books at a time when their stocks are being hammered and earnings growth has slowed.

Meanwhile, the increasing number of homes left without power -- which could rise as economic pain deepens -- is beginning to worry some consumer advocates and regulators.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Uh-huh...

Big surprise...not.

I have been reporting on the sharp rise in utilities that has concurrently sky-rocketed alongside everything else over the past year, and it appears that these monopolistic entities are stepping up their violations of the ever-increasingly stuggling populace. Those crooks at Socal Edison are looking to install digital wireless remotes, so that they don't even have to send techs out to shut off a person's power, they can just hit a remote button, and viola-no power, no air-conditioning in the 100 degree temps, no nothing for the struggling peons at their mercy.

Sickening.

But look at the bright side, all these mega-corps will be posting record profits like the rest of them who are currently and repeatedly raping this nation!

online.wsj.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Oh, well. My utility bills have increased each year since forever it seems. About 3 years ago our natural gas cost increased about 50%. Then the next year we were told to expect a sharp decrease in the price because the shortage had been fixed. Didn't happen. And now this year we are to expect another increase in rates. Meanwhile, we haven't used our furnace since March. But I just received a bill for 27 dollars. Somehow we suddenly used gas last month even though the furnace is turned off. It couldn't have accidentally come on due to a thermostat malfunction since I have a light switch type switch on the wall next to the furnace in the cellar which I used to turn it off for sure. (just in case my grandchildren might have gotten cold one day and turned the thermostat switch on before I felt it was time to turn on the furnace) Wonder how they advance that meter? I can't seem to find a way to reverse it on my own.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Legal battles don't work enough. Protest just entertains them. They already own most of the alternative power. Hmm...maybe people need to move out of there?

Oh, right...corporate law has us stuck, pretty much. I wish some thing would happen to remedy the situation that doesn't hurt the peons or leave them suffering too much... Maybe Sen. Obama will be an effective leader? Maybe we can cast off the uberelite and teat suckling infantile businessmen?

Ya, not.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Seems it is going to be a cold winter for many people.

Shame it's coming to this, and only going to get worse.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 09:16 PM
link   
It's becoming almost impossible for us to keep up with our utilities. We've been averaging around $325 a month for electric since May. We're behind right now. I went in to pay on our elec. bill Monday and the lady that took my payment said her water bill had increased $12 since her last statement and her habits hadn't changed in that time.

We have a wood burning stove and don't use our furnace and still get outrageous electric bills. I'm going to start reading my meter since our company doesn't do it. They just use the old averaging method.

They really have you over a barrel. If you don't have the money you're either turned off or forced to go hat in hand to ask for a loan which is embarrassing and depressing.

We'll make it as long as they don't go up too much more, but I feel for the people who are on a fixed income that have no way or are simply not able to make extra money.

Unfortunately, I don't see things getting any better.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Only to get higher come January. Guess I'll bump my A/C up a couple notches next year.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Hate utility companies, in reality all they do is sell something they never owned and take cut by adding ontop the price. The national grid companys (gas and elctric) produce and import the gas/power, these middle men (conmen I prefere) come along and broker a deal between you and the true utility company, in return they add a few pence per unit ontop the real price, thats millions a day just for signing a piece of paper on your behalf with the power company!

If you wish to save serious cash, just go direct to the power companys who own the power stations, import the gas etc. You will cut the middle man out and save yourself a lot of cash.

Of course this is all based on my experieance in the UK, the USA may be different?

Alternatively, just look for illegal ways to tap into the electricity before your meter and find a similar type gas meter on ebay, swap it over and swap back before meter reading guy is due lol. Of course this suggestion depends on your morals and character.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 06:42 AM
link   
I spend close to 300 a month on electricity,and Obama says they will skyrocket?hope I can figure how to get on some govt grant ,otherwise utilitys will be matching mortgages now,I'm wondering how this will help economy?

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Dont worry guys. Now that Obama won we're all set.

Woo-hoo!

Pay my bills.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 07:50 AM
link   
I'll trade anyone my utility bill for one under $350 a month.In the last year they have gone up as much as 100%.I look for there to be a tax on fire wood before long.After all they con get you twice like they do with city water pay for water then pay for sewage.So we are paying for it twice.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 08:19 AM
link   
www.telegraph.co.uk...

^^ water bills set to rise in the UK in an effort to cut comsumption ; and yet Southern water are to put prices even higher because people are using less water allready - which is harming there profits....

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 08:23 AM
link   
In the UK they put Token Meters in your property if you cant pay your bills
if you dont by a token your Gas and Electricity go off automatically. They used to do the same with water but the goverment outlawed it on Health grounds.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Saf85
Hate utility companies, in reality all they do is sell something they never owned and take cut by adding ontop the price. The national grid companys (gas and elctric) produce and import the gas/power, these middle men (conmen I prefere) come along and broker a deal between you and the true utility company, in return they add a few pence per unit ontop the real price, thats millions a day just for signing a piece of paper on your behalf with the power company!

If you wish to save serious cash, just go direct to the power companys who own the power stations, import the gas etc. You will cut the middle man out and save yourself a lot of cash.

Of course this is all based on my experieance in the UK, the USA may be different?

Alternatively, just look for illegal ways to tap into the electricity before your meter and find a similar type gas meter on ebay, swap it over and swap back before meter reading guy is due lol. Of course this suggestion depends on your morals and character.

Electric utilities own the fuel and equipment used to generate electricity so they do own it.
Not to mention the manpower involved in getting the power to you.
And who do you think paid for the poles and towers?

As far as stealing power, here in the US it's easy to catch and field people are well trained in how to spot theft.
I'm sure the same is true where you live.

There are serious penalties as well, in many cases the local PD or Sheriffs office is called in and the thieves are prosecuted in the courts.

You wouldn't like it if your business was shorted it's legally due income.

Southern California Edison has had the remote meter reading for quite a while.
Mid-80's I believe and the first facility was in my work area.
Interesting what they can do.

There's going to be a lot of screaming when the entire utility converts to all-electronic metering.
They are more accurate than the mechanical meters now installed.

Fwiw - if your house has a very old meter, it probably runs slow and the new electronic meters will not....

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by kyred
Oh, well. My utility bills have increased each year since forever it seems. About 3 years ago our natural gas cost increased about 50%. Then the next year we were told to expect a sharp decrease in the price because the shortage had been fixed. Didn't happen. And now this year we are to expect another increase in rates. Meanwhile, we haven't used our furnace since March. But I just received a bill for 27 dollars. Somehow we suddenly used gas last month even though the furnace is turned off. It couldn't have accidentally come on due to a thermostat malfunction since I have a light switch type switch on the wall next to the furnace in the cellar which I used to turn it off for sure. (just in case my grandchildren might have gotten cold one day and turned the thermostat switch on before I felt it was time to turn on the furnace) Wonder how they advance that meter? I can't seem to find a way to reverse it on my own.

What may be happening with your gas meter is that theres a monthly connection fee whether you use gas or not.

Our house is all electric and we had the gas as an emergency backup for a fireplace log that heated one room.
Since we weren't using gas except in the colder winter months I turned it off and if theres a power outage we'll just have to drag out the blankets and sleeping bags.

It does get cold here, nothing like the colder climes in the US, but I've seen 14* F here and low 20's and teens are common.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 09:57 AM
link   
One can buy a high efficiency heat pump and save a tremendous amount on heating/cooling bills. Some utility companies will finance your new unit for you. In my case, the monthly savings on electricity more than covered the monthly payment for the new unit. Now that the unit is paid off, I now pay 1/2 the electric bill that I did with my old heating/AC unit.

[edit on 11/5/2008 by TheAvenger]

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 10:14 AM
link   
My natural gas bill went up x4. I just got my bill and it cost me $100 to heat my home for a week and a half. That was only having my heat on in the evenings when it was getting down to 30 and 40 degrees. Using those numbers it is going to cost every bit of $400+ a month to keep my heat on this winter. There is just no way. We are lucky, we have a wood burning fireplace. Electricity is going to be going up too.

Its going to be a cold hard winter in more ways than one.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Harlequin

As the water supply is deemed an essential to wider public health and therefore legally protected from shut-off, then just ditch that bill and use the money to pay gas/electric instead

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Where do you live????

Here, they do not waste time shutting off water, if you don't pay.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   
they may not cut of water in your area but in mine if you don't have your full bill money by the 15 th of the month you will wake up on 16th with no water and a 30 dollar recconnect fee on top of your bill. plus if you have a well they still charge you a 40 dollar a month fee if the service runs in front of your house because they say you have accessibilty even if you don't use it. also i rent and they came up with a policy that says whoever owns property is responsible for water even through the service is in my name and now they are telling me they are gonna put service in with all his other properties and not give me back my 100 dollar deposit.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join