It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Military.... why?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by ADVISOR
Um, NCO is enlisted.

Nope. Sorry. And NCO is an NCO.

E-1 thru E-4 is an enlisted troop (in the AF)

E-5 thru E-6 is an NCO

E-7 thru E-9 is a Senior NCO (SNCO)

That's how TheKingsVillian is breaking it down (which is correct).

Move out and draw fire.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Why is it considered brave to just "follow orders"????

Come on!

It takes way more courage to not go and fight a war we all know is wrong, than to go and fight, and lie to yourself and say you're protecting "freedom"!

When will people realize we don't need to kill?

I know there are crazy people out there! So yes we do need a defense, that's not bad.

But To be in Iraq is just plain stupid.

It really really pisses me off that people are still joining the military regardless of how wrong it is.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
OK, you lost me.

Originally posted by theendisnear69
I know there are crazy people out there! So yes we do need a defense, that's not bad.

But then you say:

It really really pisses me off that people are still joining the military regardless of how wrong it is.

So, what's it going to be? Guys joining the service to make sure you're protected from the "crazy people" (since you don't want to join) or are they wrong for doing that?

Pick one.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by jerico65

hahaha you purposely take me out of context.

I said protect us from crazy people, because the gung-ho military types always tell us anti-military people that there's always someone out there trying to blow us up, so we need a defense.

Yes in a sense there are evil people out there, and thats all a military should be used for. DEFENSE.

To put it better, It pisses me off that people join the miltary regardless that we currently are not fighting for any good reason. Give me 1.

Should someone invade us, than yes go all out and have everyone join the military, but when there is currently nothing we need protecting from, NO do not join just because you need the money, or think youre saving the world.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   

It takes way more courage to not go and fight a war we all know is wrong, than to go and fight, and lie to yourself and say you're protecting "freedom"!

I disagree. My good friend, SFC Randy Shugart died on October 3, 1993 in Mogadishu Somalia. He died defending 4 wounded soldiers, fighting 1000 to 1 odds, never once placing his life ahead of those he was sworn to protect. We were there to help a people that turned out to not want our help

What most people fail to realize is that there are 2 kinds of people. Athenians and Spartans; Thinkers and Warriors. Neither should be judged for doing what they do, being who they are. Don't punish a dog for being a dog, neither should you punish a warrior for waging war.

And before anyone disparages the sacrifice of SFC Shugart, let it be known that if not for his sacrifice on that day, I would likely not be here and I thank his bravery for the birth of my son ... I know how he died, I was there.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by theendisnear69

Theendisnear, you're a bit mistaken, but not to worry, I'm here to help.

I assure you, it doe NOT take more courage to sit on your ass while others go do the fighting. Trust me on that.

One other, little tiny mistaken assumption. You would suggest that there's never a reason to kill. That just flies in the face of the fact that there's a ton of people all over the world that need killing in the worst possible way.

You suggest that we need a defense, and that defense isn't bad. The truth is, a shield without a skilled sword behind it will be of short benefit as the shield will eventually splinter or defend the wrong side of a killing thrust.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by theendisnear69

I just reenlisted again until 2014 "for the money." Until you people who are so gallantly staying at home instead of joining the military can fix the economy, I'll have my 3 squares and a cot* regardless of how bad the job market/economy gets.

I got mine.

*Expression. ACTUALLY - I get housing for me and my wife, full dental and medical coverage for free - free education up to a master's degree at any college I want - free electricity - free water - money for food AND a paycheck. So - 3 squares and a cot is a little understatement. I don't have a problem staying in for the "money." Thank you.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Should someone invade us, than yes go all out and have everyone join the military, but when there is currently nothing we need protecting from, NO do not join just because you need the money, or think youre saving the world.

So, when someone invades your country, that's when the military should be brought out? Well, so much for keeping them up in their training.

Don't join for the money? OK, then, I'm getting out of the military now and moving into your house. You support me, since I'll now be out of a job.

And what's wrong with saving the world?

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by jerico65

Originally posted by ADVISOR
Um, NCO is enlisted.

Nope. Sorry. And NCO is an NCO.

E-1 thru E-4 is an enlisted troop (in the AF)

E-5 thru E-6 is an NCO

E-7 thru E-9 is a Senior NCO (SNCO)

That's how TheKingsVillian is breaking it down (which is correct).

Move out and draw fire.

That's interesting. So when I re-upped as an E-6, that wasn't an ENLISTMENT contract I signed? Okay.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by SuperViking
That's interesting. So when I re-upped as an E-6, that wasn't an ENLISTMENT contract I signed? Okay.

Ok, I guess we're splitting hairs now.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by dooper

Nope not mistaken at all. Sure i'm 18 and "sit on my ass" and smoke pot all day, while others are out there defending my freedom from big bad Iraq being the heros that they are.

I'm sorry I don't want to kill a man. There's just something in me that keeps me from picking a gun up and shooting a man.

Your right though, there are evil evil people out there that just want to KILL KILL KILL.

Oops! now who does that sound like?

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   

So training to you is fighting in lots of wars? I didn't realize the army didn't have a training program.

Thats okay I currently have two people living in my house, that are unemployed. Two squatters to be exact. Great friends. But they could very easily just go and join the military and be sent to Iraq to protect us from all their nukes and WMDs we found.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by mf_luder

I get by just fine not joining the military. I'm 18 and live on my own. Very happy. I'm sure the military would make it oh so much easier on me though.

I just live better knowing i'm doing the right thing. Standing up for what's right is how I like to do it.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   

So training to you is fighting in lots of wars? I didn't realize the army didn't have a training program.

Thats okay I currently have two people living in my house, that are unemployed. Two squatters to be exact. Great friends. But they could very easily just go and join the military and be sent to Iraq to protect us from all their nukes and WMDs we found.

Don't be so sure they could make it.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by SuperViking

I disagree. You do know what being a squatter entails right???

Soldiers get 3 meals a day. They don't

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   

I disagree. You do know what being a squatter entails right???

Soldiers get 3 meals a day. They don't

Soldiers do? Ok, Dooper, SuperViking, care to educate this individual on what troops eat?

In garrison, you have the opportunity to have three meals a day.

In the field, I've gone a day on one MRE. And I'm not Infantry, either. I know those guys have gone longer on less.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Ok I was wrong, big deal.

I've gone a day on one MRE while I was an eagle scout.

Can't complain I wasn't forced to join.

Just like the military

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Can't speak for others, but on long range patrols, I ate one ration every other day to keep the weight I carried to a minimum. Plus, two high temperature chocolate bars, on the "diet day," and if we got a chance, I'd have cold instant coffee two or three times a day.

By accident, I grew quite fond of dog jerky. Our KC scout brought me some, I ate and liked it, and then he led me to where he found it. Stripped dogs hanging from tree limbs everywhere. Plenty was there, so I grabbed it up, and when that ran out, I made arrangements in the local village to keep up a supply.

Everything but the coffee ways soaked in tabasco.

Kept intestinal parasites to a minimum.

This young man didnt' have to tell me he was eighteen. Already figured out he was really, really young.

That's why he's so certain about everything.

He already knows it all.

And we can all learn a lot from this young man.

[edit on 28-1-2009 by dooper]

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I, once again, typed my whole reply in the darn thing here.

After an hour of work, I thought I would select all, copy before posting, for a few times before, I posted, but it failed, losing all my data.

This time trying to be safe, I hit paste instead of copy with everything highlighted.

Now, I dont' have the energy to retype my thoughts and stories.

It may be for the best, one , I probably shouldn't have told about anyways.
top secret ops and all.

probably saved by my own mistake.
Just had to post this to tell of my error.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by mf_luder

I spent 4 years in the Army. I wasn't there because I was a patriot. LIKE MOST of the people in the Army I was surrounded by, we were mainly in it economic reasons. Most of us hated the BS military mind games. Most people don't understand that once you sign up, you're government property and will do what you are ordered to do, under duress. The consequences are very harsh for dissent in the ranks.
I was in Central America during the Reagan years. I lost complete faith in the Government and the military when I was chosen to be an interviewee for the news channels. I was also told what lies to tell the correspondents, and how to explain away the things we were doing there...

[edit on 28-1-2009 by odd1out]

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join