It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don't be so harsh on criticizing america

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by calihan123
Where in mexico were you? Because I have also been to mexico my friend, and most places the water is not drinkable.

So, im not sure where you were.

But im not uninformed. Im alive. I drink water out of the faucet. I dont have cancer. I dont have diseases. Im actually perfectly healthy.

Cancer isnt linked to water. Thats just another theory people want to throw out there because they have nothing else to talk about.

cancer comes from MANY things.

I'd rather not say where in Mexico I lived but I never said anything about drinking the water. I also never said cancer is linked to water. I was pointing out that cancer has been linked to fluoride (which is in most of the water in the US, among other things). Here's some more reading for you: www.fluoridealert.org...
Your blinders are on too tight, it's hopeless. Have fun, I'm done.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by marsha law

1,284,105 No not quite a million. A bit more.

Let's analyze this..

you got this figure from here

www.antiwar.com...

notice the word estimate click for explanation

That leads to here

www.justforeignpolicy.org...

which says

The graphic above provides a rough daily update of this number based on a rate of increase derived from the Iraq Body Count. (See the complete explanation.)

The estimate that over a million Iraqis have died received independent confirmation from a prestigious British polling agency in September 2007. Opinion Research Business estimated that 1.2 million Iraqis have been killed violently since the US invasion.

Notice the word British Polling agency.. So the number comes from a poll. But let's also check out the Iraq Body count site...

It says

Iraq Body Count (IBC) records the violent civilian deaths that have resulted from the 2003 military intervention in Iraq. Its public database includes deaths caused by US-led coalition forces and paramilitary or criminal attacks by others.

www.iraqbodycount.org...

notice that not all of these deaths are attributed to our military or the action of our military. On this website you will find this figure

Documented civilian deaths from violence

88,851 – 96,976

Now this number seems more credible but even then we aren't responsible for all of these deaths.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 01:04 PM
link   
no , you are just looking for too many reasons to dislike what im saying. I actually love the place I live, I would never want to leave. And all anyone in this post is trying to do is make me not love it. but that wont happen. I have traveled to many places and i can say with certainty this is the best place. I feel the most freedom here. I meet so many people from different cultures here.

I dont feel the need to keep looking for reasons to hate america anymore. ive learned to appreciate the life ive had because ive seen how many others live, and im VERY appreciative for what i have. ive learned to look at life positively instead of trying to pick the negative out of everything.

If thats a bad thing on my part then im sorry. But im sick of putting down this country all the time. Its time to start thinking positively and moving forward and maybe others should start doing the same.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by calihan123

Heck, call it bias on my behalf but I agree with you. The USA is one of the best places in the world to be. That is not to put down any other country. I could probably learn to adapt and live just as well in other countries, but I bleed red, white, and blue. And to go one step further, America is number 2 on my list.

Texas is at the top of my list.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   
yeah im not trying to put down other countries whatsoever. thats not at all what i was saying. ive loved many other places as well. but im just tired of hearnig so many americans complain about this country when its really quite an amazing place if you give it a chance and stop looking at things in such a negative light

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   
calihan, I think it is a learned behavior. People have learned to hate via the negativism that has been put out there the last two years. Examples, we are no longer admired, we are killing innocent people, we are racist, USA is bad, we are bullies, all the gloom and doom...etc...

Kinda hard to think positive when there is so much negative in front of you. I, for one, prefer to count my blessings. And I see from your posts that you like doing the same. Keep up the good work.....

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   
PARIS – Barack Obama's election as America's first black president unleashed a renewed love for the United States after years of dwindling goodwill, and many said Wednesday that U.S. voters had blazed a trail that minorities elsewhere could follow.

People across Africa stayed up all night or woke before dawn to watch U.S. history being made, while the president of Kenya — where Obama's father was born — declared a public holiday.

In Indonesia, where Obama lived as child, hundreds of students at his former elementary school erupted in cheers when he was declared winner and poured into the courtyard where they hugged each other, danced in the rain and chanted "Obama! Obama!"

"Your victory has demonstrated that no person anywhere in the world should not dare to dream of wanting to change the world for a better place," South Africa's first black president, Nelson Mandela, said in a letter of congratulations to Obama.

Many expressed amazement and satisfaction that the United States could overcome centuries of racial strife and elect an African-American as president.

See. This is the progess america is making. We ARE making progress. And we can be a better country. I think we are well on our way. And im going to continue thinking that way because I believe we can only grow from where were at now. No more dissing on america. We are making progress.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 02:19 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 03:20 AM
link   
reply to post by DarthChrisious

"We are the best country on the face of the Earth. Our American democracy is the best form of government ever created. Do not let one incompetent president with an agenda that is anti-American distort your overall judgment. We know we have our faults. We're not perfect, nor have we ever claimed to be. We haven't always made the right decisions (i.e. electing Bush). But we do our best to correct our mistakes. Tonight will be a big step towards correcting some of those mistakes.

But do not let your perception of the American government affect your perception of the American people, especially if you've never been to America before. A lot of people have no idea how hard it is to be an American. Unlike a lot of other governments, the American government is centered around the people. Unless you've lived and voted here, you have no idea how big of a responsibility that is. And the majority of Americans take that responsibility very seriously. "

Come on - puleeze! You don't really expect non-americans to buy this malarky, do you? Don't you realize that MOST countries in the world tell themselves they are 'The Greatest Nation On The Earth'?? The Brits. The French. The Chinese. The Germans etc etc?? It's called patriotic propaganda - pure & simple.

There are many democracies around the globe - many of them arguably far better than the US model. That may come as a shock to you - but it's true. Maybe you need to travels some more....

All democracies are "centered around the people" as you put it. the US is not remotely different in this way at all. All democracies ask their citizens to vote for their representatives... In fact, if you do your reearch - you'll find that US democracy is based almost entirely on French and British forms of government/democracy.

Shocking huh?

J.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

"Kinda hard to think positive when there is so much negative in front of you. I, for one, prefer to count my blessings."

Good for you, but i think your ignorant to the role the US played in the world for the last 8 years. People - american and non-american - do have good reason to be harsh on the US. And as for being the best democracy in the world, the american people should have decided 4 years of Bush was enough.

As a superpower the US has a responsibility to the world. I'm sure the american people are nice (as everywhere else on this planet people are nice), the way the US has been messing things up is something you should really be mad about, actually. It's ignorance to differ.

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Say what you will about America and Americans, but you can't judge us all by "George i am an idiot Bush" .As a woman in this country ,I can speak my mind ,I can voice protest..I am Free.I don't have to walk 10 paces behind a man or shroud my face , or have to worry about being arrested and thrown in some prison for voicing my opinions,or worse killed for them.I can choose to have a career, or a family or both.I love how everyone hates us vile Americans till a major disaster,Tsunami ,Coup ,whathaveyou occurs than they all want our help.I know George Bush ruined this country,I also know our government has '"filthy dark secrets and agendas" But Anyone who thinks their country doesn't is obviously deluded and drinking too much of the government funded Kool aid.before you ask, I lived briefly abroad and while our buddies over in Europe think they are so much better and their government is so wonderful and America stinks, if you think that there is no corruption or shameful things in your history open your eyes.America does not hold a corner on the market of atrocities against its fellow man....I also have visited other countries( ex military) trust me America is a paradise compared to some other nations.

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 05:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

Not all Americans are happy with the way our country has gone in 8 yrs( John Kerry was also not the best choice 4 yrs ago either).One can still be proud to be of a nationality.In this country, besides voting a president out,the only choices for removal are impeachment( not gonna happen when Congress can't seem to tie its own shoes in the past 8 yrs)or assassination( not recommended). It is easy to critcize and call us ignorant..you don't live here, and not all of us spend our time sitting watching reality tv and getting obese.

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Nothing wrong with Americans or America as a place to live, but one can not be surprised the US is criticized for it's foreign policy.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join