It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are we? (ATS)

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Short and sweet, that reminds me one time of what I witnessed on a ski trip. My group was in the lodge at a table getting sloshed. As a people person I was watching a group of folks a little older than us approaching the table next to us. One of the skiers was obviously tired carrying his tray and beverage and as he was almost to his table he said,,,

"I need ass on wood, food and beer down throat."

Now that's short and to the point. I don't know if ATS can be encapsulated in such a short description.

I like Crakeur's also.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I totally understand this OP!

The weird part is that "ALL" of the truly best and worst I have had heads up on, eventually come to pass and that really gets my closest people going "HUH?"

They used to laugh and snicker, now they come to me for advice and to find out truth from fiction.

I think they sometimes feel I am 'REALLY' doing Above Top Secret work... And I am! I am here right?

Tell them it is the best site on the internet for a balanced view on alternative topics and latest breaking news.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I'm definitely still at the 10-minute explanation phase.

I do like Crakeur's suggestion

Springer's is manageably short and has the benefit of being officially endorsed, but it's not how I talk. It would sound like someone else's words coming out of my mouth if I called something the "number 1" anything. Last thing I want people to think is that I'm being brainwashed

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

before I joined - I was a lurker for quite a while

this place fascinated me - whatever else it was (is) - it was surreal

even when dealing with reality

I was powerless to look away

but, when I finally realized I was tired of just eavesdropping I joined

I think the reason is that it finally occurred to me that it was a genuine community

suspended in this world of electricity and the written word - talking to people at all hours of the day - from all over the world

the idea that you could be discussing UFOs, philosophy, economics or bigfoot with someone in Tokyo or Australia, Egypt or Sweden - or someone in your own apartment building (this part really gets me - you just don't know) - seriously - all belonging to a community

and even when you don't actually know them - you do

they become familiar

it started out as a source of unusual information - now it's someplace I have to visit every day - even if I don't say anything - I have to see what's up with everyone else

explaining this to anyone who hasn't been here just makes me sound like a kook

so, there you go

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I read a thread on here about a tree eating a cow. Its a slice of humanity that makes us what we are, curious, intelligent, imaginitive and slightly insane. I come on here because its interesting and never boring im lucky to live in a time where i can talk to someone on the other side of the world and tell them i dont believe a tree could eat a cow.

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 07:53 PM
link   
So I've been using "User Generated Content Ecosystems"

That usually shuts'em up.

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   
I've heard it called, "The Disneyland for lunatics" but I forget who said that. I like it though.

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Kellter

That is one thing I can absolutely agree with.
I haven't been at this site for very long, but I have been around these blocks for a number of years now and while the questions always remain the same, one thing that never changes are the people that come back to you saying something to the effect of "Hey, remember when you were telling me about such and such?".

Sorry, but often times I DON'T remember. Why? Because like you said, I have forgotten more of this than you have learned.
Not than you will ever know, but than you have currently learned.

Sorry to sidetrack the topic, just had to agree there.

[edit on 10-11-2008 by Jay-in-AR]

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 11:14 PM
link   
In response to the actual question, I would say that *I* describe sites like these as places where, if you are deliberate enough, you can learn things that most others won't learn about until NEXT WEEK, if ever.

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I think internos said it best!

"ATS is unique in this: it acts like a school, but a "school" in which each "student" is free to decide which "teacher" actually adds something to his/her knowledge, and which one spreads BS (where for "teachers" i mean we ALL and for "students" i mean we ALL)."

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 11:17 PM
link   
From someone looking from the outside,in,i would say that ATS is full of so much disinformation,it would be troubling for someone to come here and find the hard honest Truth.

So many things on this site that can sway someone down the wrong path.

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 07:23 AM
link   
ATS......a great place to snipe at people without having to climb all the way to the top of the clock tower.

[edit on 11-11-2008 by MrPenny]

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 08:01 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

To put it simply - and you really can't define it any other way.....

ATS is what the members make it.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 08:11 AM
link   
ATS is basically the only website I visit these days. I first heard about it when John Lear mentioned it on Coast to Coast AM with George Noory.

I started out as a lurker for a few months, then became a member, and haven't stopped posting since

It is the best website for discussion of any kind. It is also the most advanced forum on the net. Till this day, I still haven't figured out everything on ATS, probably because I haven't fully explored ATS yet.

But when it comes to telling people about it... I don't, because of the usual reaction people have to conspiracies and such topics. Although I don't think that calling this place a conspiracy website alone does it any justice. It is far more than that.

It is the only place where you can literally talk about ANYTHING,
ofcourse.. as long as you stay on topic and behave yourself

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 08:35 AM
link   
ATS is a miniature version of the subcurrents of mass-consciousness.

It is here that concepts of the world mind are confronted, processed, absorbed and discarded, in synchrony with the evolutionary circumference of the vibratory pulse of this planets paradigm.

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

You may want to consider changing your mood from "lucid," to something more apropos.

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   
ATS is an alternative means of perceiving the events of the world as they unfold as well as being the most constructive venue for discussing events of the past while we as a community exchange thoughts and ideas which will hopefully enable us all to glimpse a little bit of the future.

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
ATS is a miniature version of the subcurrents of mass-consciousness.

It is here that concepts of the world mind are confronted, processed, absorbed and discarded, in synchrony with the evolutionary circumference of the vibratory pulse of this planets paradigm.

Best description I've seen all day

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 12:12 PM
link   
When I saw this question, I could not help but think almost instantly of the movie The Breakfast Club and how it started and ended . . .

In my answer to 'What are we?', I give you the following from that movie . . .

Dear Mr. Vernon...we accept the fact that we had to sacrifice a whole Saturday in detention for whatever it was that we did wrong, what we did was wrong. But we think you're crazy to make us write this essay telling you who we think we are, what do you care? You see us as you want to see us...in the simplest terms and the most convenient definitions. You see us as a brain, an athlete, a basket case, a princess and a criminal.

Correct?

That's the way we saw each other at seven o'clock this morning.

We were brainwashed...

What we found out is that each one of us is a brain and an athlete and a basket case and princess and a criminal.

Does that answer your question?

Sincerely yours, the Breakfast Club.

To that end, I truly believe that we are the sum of our parts . . . we are sceptics and truth seekers and investigators and thinkers and rabble rousers and left wingers and centerists and right wingers and spiritualists and atheists and agnostics . . . the list is endless.

In the end, we are truly the sum of our parts of which we make discoveries daily and which serve to make this site a pretty damn cool place to hang out.

[edit on 11-11-2008 by GoalPoster]

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 03:07 PM
link   
S-dog

You've scored aver 214,000 ATS points and you've only been a member since june. To say that ATS has increasingly become a significant part of your daily life is an understatement. If you're not multiple people then I'd say that ATS IS your life.

This may also mean that when talking to people about ATS, you may sound a bit fanatical about it without even realizing it. Which may cause the
reaction you were talking about.

Not trying to rag on you here, but 214,000 points in less than 6 months.....come on....(yeah, I'm a little jealous).

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join