It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are we? (ATS)

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Over the last few months, as ATS has become an increasingly significant part of my daily life, many of my friends and relatives have been asking me out of curiosity what ATS is.

I am always tempted to say ATS is a conspiracy board/website. But somehow that answer seems to be unsatisfactory and incomplete. Of course one mentions the word "conspiracy" to most people and a trigger goes off in their heads that makes them do the usual
and dismiss the idea of ATS dogmatically. That actually bothers me very little as I usually perceive such unconsidered reactions ignorant and small minded.

But the fact remains that to simply call ATS a conspiracy site does not do it justice.

So my answer usually goes something like this: "ATS began a decade ago as a conspiracy board but now is essentially a member driven repository of information and discussion on topics ranging from the mainstream to the fringe." Then I go on to describe the many forums, topics, debates, subject matter experts, writers, tinwiki, BTS, etc.

As a result, and in an effort to do ATS justice, my answer to what ATS is has now become a ten minute answer to what seems a perfectly simple question.

So I just wanted to ask for your help in trying to edit down the answer a bit. Perhaps you can share with us how you answer that question when asked. Your input would be highly appreciated.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I usually describe ATS in conversation as "An alternative website where we discuss conspiracies and just about every other topic you can think of"

but then it ends up being a ten minute spiel on the "other" topics...

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 03:52 PM
link   
One half debunkers, one quarter silly and one quarter sincere truth seekers.
IMHO

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 03:54 PM
link   
ATS is a place to learn about conspiracies but to me it so much more. Let me tell you and see if this helps when describing it.

- Its a place to learn
- Its a place to teach
- Its a place to debate
- Its a place to make me laugh
- Its a place to make me think
- Its a place to turn my thoughts on their side - which CAN be a very good thing
- Its a place to be frustrated ( sometimes )
- Its a place to expand
- Its a place to explore
- Its a place to travel the globe and the reaches of the universe without leaving your computer

Its a community!

Dorian Soran

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Interesting question. The topics on ATS vary from aliens to cooking if you include BTS and to discount BTS you wouldn't be doing service to the site. Do you know there are some members that only post in BTS? I would explain it as, "A site that you can discuss damn near anything in a comfortable atmosphere."

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 03:55 PM
link   
ATS is the number one destination for the discussion of Alternative Topics/News on the internet.

Springer...

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Don't edit the answer...rather, allow them an expression that perhaps provokes their personal inquiry under cloak of 'isolation'.

Conspiracy has a long way to go toward mainstream; many people do not question. I feel we need to encourage the question...

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Springer

AboveTopSecret.com is the Internet's largest and most popular discussion board community dedicated to the intelligent exchange of ideas and debate on a wide range of "alternative topics" such as conspiracies, UFO's, paranormal, secret societies, political scandals, new world order, terrorism, and dozens of related topics with an impressive demographic mix of members.

I suppose I could just hand out a piece of paper with the link to the "about" page.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Literally..the BEST site on the net for every topic.
You name it..we got it.

Ok that last line made me feel like a used car salesman. But you get the idea.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 04:04 PM
link   
We are open minded, independent thinkers on all alternative or mainstream topics.

We are the sheep that do not blindly follow the herd or the herder. We think for ourselves and find our own answers.

We may get strange looks from our friends and our families, but we forget more than they will ever know.

All we need is our own secret handshake.

[edit on 11/4/2008 by Kellter]

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 04:09 PM
link   
ATS is the best of times, it is the worst of times; it is the age of wisdom, it is the age of foolishness; it is the epoch of belief, it is the epoch of incredulity; it is the season of Light, it is the season of Darkness; it is the spring of hope, it is the winter of despair; we have everything before us, we have nothing before us; we are all going directly to Heaven, we are all going the other way.

Inspired by Charles Dickens (1812 - 1870)

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Close to what Springer Said, is what I say too: "ATS is an Alternative News Website, with discussions about the stuff happening in the world, conspiracies and lots of other topics too."

Above all that stuff though - It's a great community full of like-minded thinkers, and challenging opponents who make you think.

It's like a Family......
*Too Far? Was that too cheesy?*

Jk.

- Carrot

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kellter
All we need is our own secret handshake.

We have that, it is very similar to this:

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I always say:

It's hard to explain.
Why don't you check it out for yourself? you're bound to find a niche, that fits your interests..

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 04:15 PM
link   
allow me to quote a wise staffer who once said:

"If it's been manufactured, It's on Ebay.

If it's been questioned or considered, It's on ATS."

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Cheek to Cheek, we stand together!

[edit on 11/4/2008 by Kellter]

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   
ATS 2008. American Top Secret.

Says it all, really.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
allow me to quote a wise staffer who once said:
"If it's been manufactured, It's on Ebay.
If it's been questioned or considered, It's on ATS."

My favorite so far.
This and lelevator's "check it out for yourself"

Short and sweet both of them.

But please keep em coming.
It is fascinating to hear members' self perception.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 04:37 PM
link   
It's a place for people.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by budski
It's a place for people.

No budski, too earthcentric.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join