It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Barcelona chosen as headquarters of new Mediterranean Union

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Barcelona chosen as headquarters of new Mediterranean Union

www.iht.com

BRUSSELS: A historic palace in Barcelona is to be the headquarters of a new union between Europe and southern Mediterranean countries after horse-trading among 43 countries solved several disputes blocking progress on greater regional cooperation.

Ministers meeting in Marseille resolved a contest between four cities to host the new Union for the Mediterranean. They also broke a deadlock over how to deal with some of the diplomatic complications arising from the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

Sarkozy's idea for a Mediterranean cooperation organization was controversial and had infuriated Germany because, when first proposed, it appeared to exclude northern EU states. Early diplomatic success at a July summit meeting in Paris gave way to deadlock as officials argued over the group's structure.

Made up of countries as diverse as Israel, Turkey and Syria, the proposed new union has struggled to fulfill Sarkozy's injunction that the southern EU countries and their non-EU neighbors should "realize that their destinies are tied together."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Well this can only mean one thing, the New World Order is on it's way.

I wonder when the North American Union is scheduled to arrive?

I never heard of the Mediterranean Union before, I guess there is a first time for everything.

Strange days indeed.

Really though I am just trying to post this now, cause I don't have any comments about this, but it won't let me because apparently my comments already are not enough.

www.iht.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 03:04 PM
link   
damn, barcelona has a special place in my heart. i love this city. what a shame.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by 12.21.12

I have to admit it's new to me as well. Nice find!

A quick search led to this:

As you may be aware, Sarkozy is also heavily involved in moves towards a new world financial/currency system:

EU Blueprint for a Worldwide Currency System

Sarkozy's Influence on the recent G7 Meeting

[edit on 4/11/08 by pause4thought]

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I don't want to sidetrack discussion but if one wants a look at the history of the Barcelona Process, which is what this union is built on. Go over to

www.fulfilledprophecy.com

and read Recommendation 666. If you don't believe in God thats fine, but if you do or simply want to see how this stacks up next to biblical prophecy I recomend checking it out. The first half is an over view of prophecy while the second deals with the Barcelona Process and the major players involved. They also cover any and all news regarding this union and the global movement.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Medditeranean union? I'm a little bit surprised! Maybe I am naive to the way that area works, but I would have thought of those countries as a part of Europe, not as an intependant area.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Barcelona is a great city, I highly recommend visiting it.

Good enough choice though not very central.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Actually you're not to far off. The Barcelona Process which this union was built on, is essentially a agreement with EU. It initialy was meant as a way for these countries to have a partnership with EU in trade and aid, but has since morphed into EU wanting to control policies and laws of the area.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Dang, this one caught me by surprise....

I keep wondering about the NAU myself but have a feeling it will be the America Caribbean Union..... I think the US and Canada will try to include everybody to make a bigger and competitive Union.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Barcelona is an amazing place. many great memories of my stay there, and easily one of my top 3 cities ive ever been to. Only there can you be absolutely flat broke and have homeless people buy you a beer and a banana. One of the denizens even gave me a few euros to go celebrate Halloween after i told him it was my favourite day of the year and i went to this awesome bar that is made out to be an enchanted forest.. you can walk around little paths around the bar between waterfalls and giant mushrooms, sit in trees and drink.. it was quite the trip.

BUt back on topic.. i was surprised about the union but I am glad a city such as Barcelona is the headquarters for it. It sounds like Sarkozy, as shady as he is made out be around here, finally knocked over some roadblocks that stood in the way of progress. Ill be interested to see what happens with the mediterranean countries and the northern EU, and if this will try to improve things with them as well.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 05:50 PM
link   
This is also the first I heard about this.. nice find.

asmeone2, only the northern part of the mediterranean area is european, the Southern part is African-Middle Eastern.

I'm flabbergasted they got Israel to join into any alliance whatsoever with Syria. I wonder if Libia is also in on it, as it is also a country that's got the Mediterranee as a border.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Phatcat

I'm flabbergasted they got Israel to join into any alliance whatsoever with Syria. I wonder if Libia is also in on it...

Check out the videos posted above, which touch on these issues.

Suffice it to say good ol' Gaddafi was apparently in good form, railing against the European imperialist project seeking to tear him away from ties with the African Union, etc. I thought he'd gone soft in recent years; no such luck it seems.

new topics

top topics

join