It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Didn't Vote.

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrPenny

I feel very sorry for people who feel so helpless and at the whim of the powers that be, that they refuse to participate in the society. I'll assume you're also tossing trash out of the car windows.

Refusing to participate is the most pointless form of protest I can imagine.

* If you want a party that will punish you for hard work and ability, please put your cross here.

* If you want a party that will wage wars under false pretenses, please put your cross here.

Ummm....I dont think so.

I only vote those who represent my values.

While Im happy for the Millions of people around the world feel a fresh surge of inspiration for a few weeks because Obama was voted, I will cast my contribution to society in a different way.

Elections are not the only way to make a difference.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by The Savage Khan

People also died for free speech but I don't hear people spending hundreds of billions to protect that. No they spend all this money so they can control us and anyone that dare challenge the authority of their violence. People died so we could be free from government not controlled by 300,000 pages of tax code or as many pages devoted to law. The words are not the reality, they are even further from it. According to our society people died so sociopaths we call politicians could use words printed upon paper to give them the rights to use guns in order to intimidate us and control us through fear, yeah oh that definitely sounds civilized to me!

[edit on 5-11-2008 by bubbabuddha]

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I'm curious to know how much a president makes per year. Four hundred thousand dollars/year? How much did the candidates spend to get that job? Where did all those campaign donations come from? Still think both candidates were not paid for?

This is the first year I have not voted. Last election I was at least deceived into believing that one candidate was better than another. The past 4 years have opened my eyes quite a bit. It's very disappointing to have ones bubble bursted.

When our freedom to choose for ourselves the course of our own lives is removed on an almost daily basis, it makes little difference if we're allowed once every 4 years to have the illusion of choice.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by The Savage Khan

HELLO??? BUELLER?? We live in a FREE society. That means I can choose not to vote, and you still can't do anything about it. If I don't like any of the candidates, I won't vote.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by SuperSecretSquirrel

Not in this election.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Im concerned. I came to ATS to try to get the other side of the story. Not to see the same crap that is all over the media. Why do we need 4 different forums for politics. realy! One should be sufficient. Politics is always the same... Someone is greedy... Someone lied.... Someone is gonna start WW3.. Someone cheated... Give it a break people. Who cares who won the election. Nothing will change. Its all a cherade (SP?). "The events on here are real, the names and faces have been changed to protect the GUILTY!" Above Top Secret.... There is nothing secret about politics Except its all a big sham. Something else to put the veil over eyes for another 7 or 8 months. Please people dont turn this super cool site into a political BS site. I vote no more political bs on this site. If you agree please star and flag, if not then please bash me and my silly views. all welcome.

Voting is for sheeple!!!!!!!

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

Why is it then relevant to place a vote for one of two individuals likely conditioned and prepped for the role of such a vaunted position?

I feel the same way you do about voting, but I voted this time. Why? Because, its just like being at a choose your own adventure movie or soap opera, I can at least help sway who I get to look at, and since I think the country can benefit from seeing a black president, I voted for em.

I know politically it probably wont make a difference, but socially/emotionally it may. Our racist brothers and sister Americans, perhaps will become more racist, perhaps they will become more accepting. Me being an optimist, I cast my vote for the black guy in hopes we can all be more accepting of each other.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 03:20 PM
link   
What's great about America is we can choose not to vote, not to speak, not to join the armed services, not to believe in one religion, not to take sides, not to believe what another believes or you can choose to do so with all the above. If I vote and somebody says they didn't then so what? I don't care! It's their choice and that's that.

I wonder why millions vote but only 270 electoral votes count? I wonder, if are vote really counted then why can't we choose someone other than the two candidates projected? I wonder why voting in a federal election was never mentioned in the constitution? Just wondering why.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock
My question to the membership is this:

Why do you think that the 'Powers That Be' would accept any percentage of chance regarding the leadership of this nation?

My follow up is this:

Why is it then relevant to place a vote for one of two individuals likley conditioned and prepped for the role of such a vaunted position?

Okay....the first question is "begging the question." Show me that some cabal, organization, or conspiracy exists that is completely and totally pulling the electoral strings with the aim of placing a pre-determined person in office.

Second question....well, that one is also "begging the question." What is meant by "conditioned and prepped?" An Ivy League education? Maybe some facet of their upbringing? Possibly you're suggesting some kind of Manchurian Candidate?

Asking questions that are based on premises that have not been established, is pointless. I'm already confident in what your answer will be.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by crw2006

Just because you have a right not to vote does not also mean it is not your duty as a citizen. It is your duty as a citizen to vote whether you like it or not. Nobody here is saying you should specifically be punished for not voting they are simply saying you are being a bad citizen if you don't. I'm sure there are excuses to not vote but considering that nearly every state had two alternatives to the two-party oligarchy I have yet to see a good one.

What other means besides voting does US law provide to empower the people? What happens if literally zero people vote out of apathy or because they are frustrated? The only voters left would be those voting because they were paid to vote one way or another by corporations.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by MrPenny

What is your point in that reply?

I asked what I felt were valid questions.

And before you get all 'there is no evidence to suggest' and all that, I wonder if you can tell me that the mental process of a multi-thousand dollar a year earner is the same as someone whom is living from paycheck to paycheck.

Seriously, the only way to bridge such a substantial discrepancy is through ideological expression.

Manchurian Candidate or not, what benefit do you see in being told "We Need Change".

Change happens without political influence. If you are pleased holding onto indirect tautology as a valid means to decide whom to 'place your trust in', then by all means let's continue espousing abstract terms such as 'hope' and 'better'....

In the mean time, I suggest you reconsider trying to find the flaw in my decision to not vote.

It's my decision and based on careful thought.

I dare say that many of those who did vote did not consider the process as I did.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 05:29 PM
link   

In the mean time, I suggest you reconsider trying to find the flaw in my decision to not vote.

You and I both know that's pointless. It's a value statement. And it's you who invited the scrutiny with a thread titled "I Didn't Vote."

I asked you previously how it was that you could not find anything other than slogans and abstracts from the candidates. I even offered links to resources with information much more concrete than "slogans and abstracts." The flaw appears to be that you made zero effort to get beyond the "slogans and abstracts" and instead relied on the soundbite type of information that is supposed to confuse you.

Congratulations....you let the political process defeat you without even putting up a fight.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 05:32 PM
link   

I wonder if you can tell me that the mental process of a multi-thousand dollar a year earner is the same as someone whom is living from paycheck to paycheck.

No, and neither can you. The only thing you can tell me with any veracity is your mental process. Neither you or I are privy to the inner-workings of any other human, with the exception of what we don't know.

Jealousy is not analogous to understanding or insight.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hal9000
I can't blame anyone for not voting if they don't like the presidential candidates, but you know there are other things to vote for.

What about all the local politicians and issues that directly effect you?

My .02

This is why I vote. At the local level, a few votes can often make a big difference in very close races.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Here's a simple point. IF these candidates are so worried about the country and world, why do they feel the need to raise millions and do "NOTHING" with it except to put themselves on a pedestal and slander their opponents.

Its all self gloating and self glorification to put themselves in a position of empowerment so that they and these other corrupt cteatins can benefit. If you actually think they care about you, I must say "you're simply nuts."

How come that money wasn't used for helping those who are truly being affected by theis economic collapse? Thousands of people are losing their houses and jobs along with millions of starving people and these guys are raking in millions in donations.

What about the fact that our country turns a blind eye to illegal immigration. Not only turn a blind eye but help them manipulate the system and rape American citizens of their rights.They don't uphold the law and prosecute these people but give aid and comfort to them. They have willingly commited crimes and are being rewarded.

ATS link

You people who are losing your jobs now think you have it bad.I'm in construction and have been out of work for almost 2 years.These people want inexpensive labor and I couldn't afford to pay gas on what they want to pay me.

Give it some time, watch and realize that your vote is as meaningless as the value they hold for our lives.Middle/lower class people have broken their backs (blood, sweat,tears and even death) to build this world, yet they own everything.

I can go on forever but know I'm wasting my time on deaf ears.

If voting changed ANYTGHING, it would be illegal Plain and simple. They appease you by making you think you and your thoughts actaully mean something.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrPenny
You and I both know that's pointless. It's a value statement. And it's you who invited the scrutiny with a thread titled "I Didn't Vote."

Much like those who author threads regarding the support of their candidate or in disdain of their rejected candidate.

What is the difference?

All three are opinion based. My 'option' is something that the MSM will not encourage...why?

Because of the propagation of the 'illusion' that an average and ill informed American actually has a say. The election, as represented by the actual vote, seems to have been a foregone conlusion. While we can argue ad nauseam regarding whether or not an American citizen is doing his or her 'duty' by submitting a vote all day long, the reality is that the excercise in many cases represents a hollow and misinformed perspective...which is encouraged by the current system.

I asked you previously how it was that you could not find anything other than slogans and abstracts from the candidates. I even offered links to resources with information much more concrete than "slogans and abstracts." The flaw appears to be that you made zero effort to get beyond the "slogans and abstracts" and instead relied on the soundbite type of information that is supposed to confuse you.

The 'flaw' is in actuality that I don't really see that the promises made by a candidate who is attempting to appeal to the majority of people are going to be made good on. The President is not the only one who makes the decisions. We have Congress and Senate to assist based on our system of checks and balances. As well, we have lobbyists who affect how our elected officials will ultimately support.

I ask you, when do we get to vote for the lobbyists?

I certainly have not enough money to sway their opinions. So should I spend time on researching the views of our elected officials wih regards to their moral faculties on accepting campaign contributions for future favors?

While that would appease my suspicious nature, it would remain that I would be in the extreme minority of people who actually deigned to look that far. And as the practice seems acceptable in our current societal structure, I view it as a contradiction and an undermining of the process.

The Electoral College need not vote that which our constituants have voted. As well, there is a lot of money directed towards these individuals.

And the propagation of 'change', while a valid interest in light of the past eight years, is still a rudimentary tactic when trying to gain the attention and support of the 'average American'.

And that is where the relevance of the distinction between a $25,000 annual income comes into play against a several hundred thousand dollar a year income - the former must worry about the immediate day to day physical concerns of keeping a home and family, while the latter drinks mimosa's in the morning discussing how to affect the former.

While I would never assume that I can see into the mind of someone else, I am more than capable of recognizing this dichotomy...

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

Just one example of the supposed tolerance on MSG boards today for those that don’t vote which happens to include 66% of the population of this country, in other words 33% are the “real” citizens and 15-18% get to force everyone else by gunpoint if they don’t agree, while the rest can’t talk about anything, which includes member s of society that are children, mentally disabled, sick, etc. I find it hard to imagine how anyone could have such a sick idea of what constitutes freedom, freedom to pick your slave owner doesn’t constitute any freedom at all, whether they are local mobsters or national they rob the same, why be involved with politicians when you don’t have to and the same could be said for the mafia. They may wish to shove guns in your face and torture you but they can’t take your mind, they may even kill but they can’t win over your liberty unless you willfully grant it by advocating their control over your life, why place yourself under the control of total strangers? Last time I checked the constitution doesn’t grant the bill of rights only to those whom vote.

The direction of 15% of the population generally speaking doesn’t include the wishes of 85%, from a statistical point of view that looks like plantation politics with the disarming use of psychological mind control to persuade people they are finally freeing African Americans from slavery, even though Africans practiced slavery as well and white people were just as much put into indentured servitude, many of which never survived the journey to the states. America turns a blind eye to the fact that every election we get a election decided by 15% of the population while %15 express their disagreement the other 66% are told to shut up and that they are less than human, it was that kind of thinking that led to the holocaust, Mao’s Cultural Revolution and Stalin’s reign of terror. Making people into non-humans because they use drugs or don’t vote has to appear the most fascist form of ideology I have seen in my lifetime, to think that anyone that doesn’t vote doesn’t count tells me all I need to know about evil people that would probably love to take physical action towards those that oppose, after all the Constitution appears just as a piece of paper, why should the democrats even hold elections anymore, I mean nobody will vote, so why bother, why not just get the tyranny in the faces of the 33% that think they are in control, smash the illusion once and for all, maybe you will get your dreams of a society in which everyone would be forced to vote, maybe you don’t want that, sounds to me you and those that vote don’t like anyone to disagree with the government, as if by not voting you are not saying anything, or making that your silenced statement. I’ve tried to talk to people whom vote and talk and shove their politics in my face, by not voting I reject your legitimacy to decide for me what to think, If you think I am a piece or #, then you better get busy warming up the gas chambers cause I’m not shutting up.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

I voted for local offices but for the first time I did not vote for any of the national positions I am just so tired of voting for the lesser of two evils and I think the president is just a figure head these days anyway just someone to blame it all on to deflect attention from the real power.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Just another example of Amercians taking for granted, rights that so many other countries (and our own, years ago), do not have. So many countries where there is one person on the ballot.... you have no choice. Every time I meet someone from another country who has become a citizen in ours, they are just thrilled and estatic that they can place a vote.

When I served on jury duty 3 years ago, and again in Grand Jury recently (an 18 month stint no less), I was amazed at the people I talked with, both in the courtroom, and in my office. The amount of people that would do everything within their power to "get out" of jury duty staggers me. There are so few countries that even allow you to be tried by a jury of your peers.... most would give their left eye to have our court system. And they'd find it a *great* honor to serve in that process. And yet in America, most I talk to feel it's a burden... a chore.. something to "get out of." It's disheartening.

There were 16 cantidates on the ballot this year for President. I find it hard to believe anyone could find all 16 cantidates equally bad and not worth voting for. Regardless of they were all terrible (and they are not), you have a choice to make the best of a bad situation. Choosing to do nothing at all is just burying your head in the sand.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I voted but I agree with you. There is, without question, TONS of proof for the NWO conspiracy. The Fed is the best place to start when trying to convince people. Once I learned about the Fed everything else fell into place and I feel that I finally understand how things really work.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join