It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Didn't Vote.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
You do have an impact on local issues if you are involved, so even if you don't vote for President I'd say it is wise to take part in the local issues.

This is my only regret..which I made up for by 'campaigning' to my family and friends...

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

This is true about local elections. Since I work in the transportation infrastructure industry, the local officials are of vital importance to me. If a candidate was running on a platform of cutting highway funds, it seriously behooves me to vote and campaign against that candidate. One thing I will say is that, as I have gotten older, I've noticed that party affiliation doesn't seem to matter as much on the local scale as it does on the national scale.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   
The usefulness of the ballot box has been depleted by planted candidates and the banker-controlled media's propaganda.

Rothschild bodies swinging from tree branches is the only thing that will save this country now. Question is, who's got the guts to put them up there?

I didn't vote either. They give you two paths to the same bleak ending, and the third party candidates are about as pointless as a 3 year old crayon.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Dear MS,

I think it is a sad thing that you choose not to vote.

For president, i understand, but there should be MANY state and local issues that you should have voted on.

It wasn't just a president that we voted for... In fact, the state and local issues are MORE important then selecting a new Commander in Thief.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock

I, on a daily basis, focus on 'the issues'. I believe that my participation on ATS satisfies my 'civil duty'.

And yet people who don't interact with the election process every three years out of four have a voice equal to mine...

I love the discrepancy inherent in that...and will defend others voice.

I will make mine smaller, yet more consistent, because I truly think there is a difference to be made...

You certainly do fulfill your civic duty and deserve props for that

It costs you nothing to vote. That was my principle point.

Yes politicians do their best to manipulate the public at large...often succeeding, sometimes not so much.

But every once in a great while politicians actually serve the people and thus there is hope. Revolution might be neccessary. We were born of it after all, but until then I will fight with any means available...even with my single vote.

[edit on 4-11-2008 by maybereal11]

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 04:02 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

The overall "flavor" of the last 8 years (at least here on ATS but in the real world too) is that Bush is:
1) an idiot
2) a warmonger
3) secretly responsible for 9/11

Those are the top 3 in my mind followed by a dozen or so lesser evils including being a dictator and the anti-christ. We've had years of conspiracy talk and complaints regarding the current administration as a result so it makes me wonder...why wouldn't people go vote?

If everything was so fixed, then war will continue and things will be more or less that same. Bush created the perfect Utopia for "them" right? Now here's a chance to change that and people can't be bothered to step up and try?

That whole "I'll never make a difference" thought is not what this country was founded on and exactly what "they" want you to do if you believe in that concept. Don't try to take a stand, don't try to make a difference and you let that idea win.

The people on Flight 93 tried to make a difference and they did. They probably saved hundreds of lives by not just sitting back thinking they couldn't affect the outcome.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

[edit on 4-11-2008 by ZeddicusZulZorander]

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I feel someone who cant take an 1/2 hour to vote does not deserve to be heard. regardless of your views it is a duty to vote, countless people have died and suffered for this right no matter how much or little we think it matters so to you I say who cares , have a good one

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by secretstash
If 90% of the population abstains from voting, then you have allowed 10% of the population to make the decision for you. I vote because I don't want anyone making the decision for me. I don't think you can make a significant impact unless you get 100% to not vote.

Vote 3rd party!

Your decision was made way before you even thought it up. Elections are like a play. They're there to entertain the masses, to keep Average Joe happy.

I chose not to vote today, even after registering. I refuse to be a part in the next big problem, and mark my words, not matter who gets elected, we will have major problems. They are both of the same coin, just different sides.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

Because while the effort may seem futile, you can write in a third vote. Unlike the primary, you can write in who you want.
While that write in certianly can't win, it is not a vote for the two we didn't elect as candidates, and it is one vote that is trying to say something.

I always do a third party vote because I despise the two party system. It won't make a difference in the long run, but it makes a difference for me.

I support someone's choice not to vote. As long as it is by choice for a reason such as political views, or passive aggression. I do not support not voting because of downright apathy and not caring, and not bothering to care.

I was dumbfounded last election when a female friend of mine said she is voting for Bush because her husband is. I said: don't you have a mind of your own? She said she just didn't care, so it was easier to go along with her husband. E. Anthony must of been rolling in her grave. So sad.

[edit on 4-11-2008 by nixie_nox]

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I beleive the voting system is corrupt from Top to Bottom. I firmly beleive the next President is pre-determined far in advance of the election process.

We witness Theatrics of Democracy, or the illusion of Democracy. There is no transparency in the vote counting, so I think anyone would have a very difficult time building a solid argument against my "conspiracy theory."

The Media twists the reality of the polling all the way up to the vote, to help convince the people that everybody wants the predetermined candidate.

That is my theory. Which is less of a conspiracy theory than actually beleving your vote is counted is.

[edit on 4-11-2008 by FX44rice]

[edit on 4-11-2008 by FX44rice]

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

I understand your reasoning for not voting and I believe the same.
To answer your questions:

1. I have no doubt that "The Powers That Be" would not leave the decision to fill this ever so coveted position to the American People. I believe there is a hidden group who choose this person way before election day.
But I also believe that we have certain responsibilities, and voting is one of them.
So what if my vote doesn't count? Who cares. As an United States citizen, it is my duty and God-given right to vote, so I'm gonna do it.

2. It isn't relevant to place a vote for one of two individuals. It is relevant to place a vote for an independent individual.
I have only voted for one of the two major parties once. Since then I have voted for the Libertarian candidate, but not this time.

So I will vote today.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I just voted for Cynthia McKinney, she is looking at 9/11 and is the next best thing to Ron Paul as far as honesty in what America is looking for.

I looked at my ballot, and I was going to vote Obama, but when I saw Cynthia's name my heart and mind told me this is where my vote will count for me.

So the Green party has my vote

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solarskye

Originally posted by SuperSecretSquirrel
If you didn't vote, then don't complain.

What!
Their are voters out there that shouldn't complain. Those who take no responsibility for their life. Those living off government and making babies they can't afford but yet they can vote.

Heh...they are nothing compared to the corporate welfare these fat cats get away with. Dodge paying taxes, setting up off shore accounts, and hiring foriegn workers on the cheap as the hard working Americans who want a job won't get paid what they deserve if they get it at all. I'm sure whomever they vote for makes no difference as they will surely continue robbing us blind while being the true leeches of American society while we keep blaming the ignorant, lazy, or selfish poor for our hardships.

Meanwhile some lobbyist is getting your senator to allow them to take 600 million of our money to pay overseas advertising for AT&T.

CEO Welfare > Lazy American Welfare.
It's not even close.

What's the point anyway, I don't think anyone can stave off the coming depression.
I see no point in voting for either party and I haven't.

If there is a vote to get rid of them and restructure this mess then count me in.

- Lee

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKainZero
Dear MS,

I think it is a sad thing that you choose not to vote.

For president, i understand, but there should be MANY state and local issues that you should have voted on.

It wasn't just a president that we voted for... In fact, the state and local issues are MORE important then selecting a new Commander in Thief.

Perhaps he didn't even consider that election day is much more than just voting for President.

You don't even have to cast a vote for president on the ballet sheets. I have a copy of my ballet sheet and it has the following votes:

1) President and Vice President

Congressional...

2) Representative in Congress, 15th district

Legislative...

3) State Senator
4) State Representative

County...

5) Sheriff
6) Property Appraiser
7) Tax Collector
8) Supervisor of Elections

9 - 14) Shall (6 people) be retained in Court of Appeals office?
15) Member School Board
16) Supervisor Soil and Water
17) Member Port Authority

Constitutional Amendments)

18) No 1 - Regulation, prohibition, inheritance, etc.. rights on property of ineligible citizens.
19) No 2 - Amendment to outlaw any form of Gay marriage
20) No 3 - Storm shutters/renewable energy sources added to home value for taxation
21) No 4 - Property tax exemptions on perpetually conserved land
22) No 6 - Assessment of Working Waterfront Property based on Current use
23) No 8 - Levy sales tax to supplement local community college funding

24) Cap on annual increases in County Ad Valoren Tax Revenues

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I agree with the OP. I am not voting. It is my way of protesting against an obviously flawed system.

Neither McCain nor Obama will "change" anything in DC. They are power-hungry victims of the system. Puppets. They had to participate in the corruption to even get to where they are today. Do you really think the elites that finance these two guys are going to let them purge Washington of lobbyists, backdoor-dealing, and corruption once in office? I think not. They are chosen because they will perpetuate the system.

Some posters say non-voters should still vote third party, despite the fact that they themselves will admit a third party candidate will never win. My question is, what is the difference between not voting and voting for someone you will openly admit cannot win? Essentially, there is no difference. We are one in the same, just choosing different ways to protest the same corrupt system. Brothers-in-arms, if you will.

Some posters will continue to argue that millions of men and women have died to give us the right to vote, therefore, we should respect their sacrifices and participate in the vote (sham). I say that those men and women died because they believed in principles that were against corruption and tyranny. I think that those men and women would be disgusted by the state of politics and government in our country today. And I think that my decision to not vote, my decision to not perpetuate the flawed, corrupt, tyrannical, and war mongering system is more in line with their beliefs than is given credit to.

In the end, a right to vote, is a right just like any other, be it speaking freely, right to assembly, right to own a gun, a right to be a vegetarian. Just because you have a right, doesn't mean that you have to exercise it. It is a choice. Or so they will have you believe...

www.youtube.com...

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I did vote today. I voted for John McCain and it was because Ron Paul made a good point earlier- The white house should not lean all the way to the left, nor should it to the right. Were Obama to win, the left would have way too much swing.

But, going further than that, there has been a question raised that is quite important. The question of, "What difference does it make who takes the seat because they are going to further the same corruptive goal?" It is an important question. However the question leads us to believe that the intended outcome will happen regardless of who votes for who. So, we have a couple of options as concerned citizens-

1. Rebel.
2. Work within the system.
3. Work within the system and rebel.

I would choose three, so I voted. However, I completely understand the notion of not voting because of the pointlesness that can be perceived out of it.

All in all, it is your own personal stand for liberty and I respect that. Bravo!

EDIT- Took out quote. Sorry.

[edit on 4-11-2008 by GreyFoxSolid]

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I agree with the O.P. and for the first time since I became eligible to vote I am not. I probably never will again. For those of you parroting the line that "you can vote 3rd party!" you're missing the point entirely. It doesn't matter who you vote for when the whole thing is rigged anyway...

I refuse to take part in a process set-up to entertain the masses and distract them from what is really going on. They're doing a bang-up job I must say.

[edit on 11/4/08 by Malynn]

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I didn't vote as well,&& as others am fine with it. Because no matter what there isn't going to be a change. they both are going for similar things.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I am confused...

If there is the slightest chance the process is NOT rigged then why not vote?

It costs you nothing to vote and if by some chance you are wrong...your opinion has been recognized.

For those that say they are not voting "to protest" a rigged system and they are 100% sure it's rigged...I still don't get it.

How is not voting a protest? Do you think you have hurt the politicians feelings by not voting? Are news reporters calling you to explain why you didn't vote? I don't get the whole protest by not voting thing....protest by carrying a sign and rallying yes, but by quitely sitting home and not voting...confused.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join