It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Didn't Vote.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka
MS,

I would ask then, given your stance, what do you put your energy towards regarding change?

Great question. I put my efforts into ATS and helping people (and it is a gradual process) discuss politely. I encourage discussion and when I see fit, I interject my opinion.

The election process is geared towards creating the illusion that an average, office working citizen really does have a say in global interactions. This is a fallacy as the average citizen is too geared up in the 9-5 work process and raising of a family to actually interact with future projections based on the myriad of concerns regarding current events, such as the current economy or cultural differences that lead to war.

I view the election process as a survey...and my 'voice' is better served here at ATS where I can perhaps provide a different view that detracts from the standard issue media response.

I do not discourage voting. I am merely providing my opinion of the process and stating my abstinence...

[edit on 4-11-2008 by MemoryShock]

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I was about to go vote.... but then I realized why I was voting. I'm voting because people are telling me "Go vote. Make a difference! Blah blah if you don't vote don't complain!" So I stayed home. I don't trust anyone with authority, so why should I be forced to support giving corrupt politicians with big egos and savior complexes gaining more authority over me and my fellow humans, who are all equal and important in the eyes of God?

I disagree with politics, and as a poster said above me, I believe humans are free standing individuals, capable of natural order and cooperation... and I believe that if we eliminated all systems of control, and went back to tribal and communal living in a natural setting, that we would not have corruption. If we just learned that once you centralize power in any way shape or form, you are enslaving yourself under that power and becoming powerless yourself, we could accomplish this. Corruption and controlled chaos does not make sense, it does not work, and it is entirely preventable by the simple means of non compliance and standing up on your own as your own free willed being allows you to do.

I don't believe people are born corrupt. Society corrupts them, either directly or indirectly. We are all corrupt, infected with poison ideas about what's best for the world. We have the tools within ourselves to cleanse our minds of these viral philosophies... and to suggest to me that I need to trust somebody else to fix what is at its heart a very personal and spiritual problem for each individual to hash out on their own.... it is completely absurd, and I am not one to compromise the truth with convenient lies.

Don't vote! Instead, find a wooded area and meditate to find your own answer. Everything politicians and people in authorities promise to you about change is empty lies, whether they themselves realize it or not. They are not the ones that are holding your mind hostage. You are! You each must vote for yourselves to be president of your own being. Nobody should be able to take your free will away at any time.

Voting is just another tool of manipulation to keep you from realizing your own potential. Anyone who says differently, no matter how intelligently they present their views..... is misguided by fear. You don't have to do anything out of fear of not doing it. That's not your free will. Government is not your free will. Politics is not your free will. The economy is not your free will. Borders and stereotypes and divisions in society is not your free will. You are your free will, you must not allow anyone to compromise it with fear of inaction. Just be what you are naturally. Causes are not worth crusading for. The best medicine is total non-compliance with the system. Total inaction towards anything other than your free will.

I believe that there are more than enough good people in this world, and if all the positive people in the world were to denounce all systems of control over them and refuse to cooperate with them.... I think we could return to balance and harmony very quickly, and the ills of society would just naturally work themselves out.

I will refuse!!!

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I feel like participating in this election would be an admission of acceptance for a corrupt system, which I do not want. I fundamentally don't agree with how this election has gone so far, so I am protesting. Although voting for a third party candidate is a viable option, again I say I'd be giving my approval to a corrupt system that is fixed from the get-go. It's a bad situation to be in, because I want to vote, and yet I know my vote will either be tampered with, not counted at all, or it just won't matter anyway.

[edit on 4-11-2008 by Viral]

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

I think our founding fathers were smart enough to not put a right to vote in our constitution when it comes to a federal election. There's to many people that should never be allowed to cast a ballad for a President.
I think not voting is voicing your opinion too.

[edit on 11/4/2008 by Solarskye]

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I'm really quite happy that I even decided to come out and vote today. I had a headache, I was feeling tired, I wanted to go straight home right after school, but I didn't. I wanted to be a part of something instead of just watching it all happen. I'm content to have participated in the voting process and hopefully the person I want to elect does a great job of running this country.

[edit on 4-11-2008 by LiQuiD_FuSioN]

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by burdman30ott6
reply to post by secretstash

Yes, but on the national level, 0% of us are actually making the decision. The electorial college is making the decision for us. So even if you 100% voter abstention, a president would be chosen.

Would they do it rock, paper, scissors, or flip a coin?

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock

Why is it then relevant to place a vote for one of two individuals likley conditioned and prepped for the role of such a vaunted position?

There are other options, and I opted for one of them.
I urge everyone else who is fed up with this BS one party system to begin voting for populist candidates in all elections. I ended up voting for the Republican in my local congresional race, but I voted for Ralph Nader for President. Not that I would really want him to be President but I cast the vote as a statement. Only when we all all start supporting third or fourth party candidates, will REAL change happen.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 03:26 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 03:30 PM
link   

My question to the membership is this:

Why do you think that the 'Powers That Be' would accept any percentage of chance regarding the leadership of this nation?

I guess first off is that I do not view "the powers that be" as sophisticated as some conspiracy theorists would make them out to be. There are undercurrents of corruption and power mongering within our government, but from the evidence of many debacles and fumblings I doubt their omnipotence.

My follow up is this:
Why is it then relevant to place a vote for one of two individuals likley conditioned and prepped for the role of such a vaunted position?
I Abstain In 2008: The Second American Revolution

Again. I doubt that these two candidates are simple manufactured political bots eager to do the bidding of the "powers that be". I have no doubt that many forces will come strongly to bear upon them once in the white house, urging them to serve questionable causes and individuals and I voted for the man I thought would be more likely to rebuff such forces.

I will take it further...even if I knew the vote was fixed I would vote anyways if for no other reason than to make the supposed fixers job more challenging in hiding the will of the people, or perhaps to demonstrate the truth if it is somehow revealed...otherwise there is no "loss" in voting in your proposed scenario of the vote being fixed and their is the tiniest of possibility of gain.

To despair and not vote at all...I couldn't do that.

[edit on 4-11-2008 by maybereal11]

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I DID vote!

I chose not to decide!

If you chose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

You can choose from phantom fears
And kindness that can kill
I will choose a path thats clear

I will choose free will.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 03:33 PM
link   
i didnt vote. nope nope

link   
Please forgive me for re-posting parts of what I had posted in July in another thread. But it answers your questions from my position.

What I really think about this election is that it DOES NOT matter who our next president is. It doesn’t matter if it’s Obama or McCain, because the powers that be have this all wrapped up and they are going to have their way regardless which person sits in the seat. It’s all a game, It’s all for show. It’s all to keep us busy, keep us distracted, keep us amused, occupied, while they do their thing.

BUT... I might be wrong.

Let’s say my doctor told me that I was going to die within a month, and I got a second opinion and a third and fourth and they all agreed that I was on my way out… The fifth doctor I see tells me that if I take this one pill, that has NO side effects, I’d have a 5% chance of beating this thing and living a healthy life. Would I take the pill? You bet I would.

That’s how I see this election. We’re “on our way out.” The people no longer have any power. The government has us by the short and curlies, they have it all planned out and regardless who wins this election, the plan isn’t going to change.

Massive revolt is the only way out - and they’ve even prepared for that (prison camps). And besides, people are too comfy watching their big screen TVs to step outside and think about a real revolution.

So, here we are, coming up on this “election” (for your entertainment and amusement, folks).

Now, if I’m correct, it doesn’t matter who I vote for. IT DOESN’T MATTER. It doesn’t make a difference. Nothing will change. If I vote or don’t vote. If I vote for Obama or McCain, or write in Ron Paul or Bugs Bunny. NOTHING will make a difference in the outcome of this master plan.

If I’m correct, that’s reality. But I could be wrong. Maybe they haven’t covered all the bases. Maybe I’m just a bit paranoid. Maybe there’s a slight chance (5%?) that the election is what he seems to be. Maybe, if I vote for someone and he wins, he will make a difference in the crash course of this country.

I know… it sounds naïve. I know it could be false hope. But if the 5th doctor gave me a pill and said there’s a 5% chance it would cure the ill, I would take it. That’s why I’m voting. Because even though I KNOW it doesn’t make a difference, there’s a chance, a slight chance that I’m wrong.

And if I’m right, and the country is on its way to hell in a hand basket, then those who don’t vote or vote 3rd party, thinking they’re all that for “being awake”; somehow wiser and more intellectual than the rest… well, they’re just as delusional as everyone else.

So, although I totally respect your right to chose not to vote, I am unsure still of what is the expected outcome of your choice.

link   
I did not vote either. They are both on the same team and until a third party candidtate is allowed to participate I will NOT!!!

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I think the statement "Vote or say nothing" is greatly oversimplified, you Americans know what state your country is in- Dont fool yourselves, some choose not to choose any of these men running for president. They may not respresent their ethics or ideals or the people may have lost faith in politics completely. It's just not that simple, and you know it.

In my opinion if nothing happens, your old two-party system will go on forever, third party's get smashed under the media hammer, and you live in ignorant bliss ever after. Equal chances? Heh, that's a good one.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I know it is different in each area, but voting here is much more than just electing the President. We also pick state legislators, judges and vote on bond issues. Since local politics affect us far more often than national, it makes voting very important.

You do have an impact on local issues if you are involved, so even if you don't vote for President I'd say it is wise to take part in the local issues.

In the end it is a personal choice. Your post says to me that you are feeling just a tinge of guilt

When I was young and wild, I always found reason to not vote. As I got into my 40's and now into my 50's I realized just how much the local issues mattered in my life. They do have an impact on us.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 03:41 PM
link   
if you dont vote then you are a piece of #. i dont care who you vote for. this is your country and my country, there is more to vote for than just the president. Dont pretend that you did not vote for a reason. You are apathetic and lazy. why do you live in this country if you do not care about the direction it takes. there are civil rights on the line, public transportation issues, funding issues for children, etc. do your civic duty asshole, we live in a society for a reason. im tired of people defending their right not to vote, like its a political taboo to even bring this up, but no, if you dont vote then you dont matter. thats my opinion of you.

Mod Edit: Do Not Circumvent The Automatic Censors.

[edit on 4-11-2008 by MemoryShock]

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by maybereal11
I guess first off is that I do not view "the powers that be" as sophisticated as some conspiracy theorists would make them out to be. There are undercurrents of corruption and power mongering within our government, but from the evidence of many debacles and fumblings I doubt their omnipotence.

I, of course respectfully disagree. Consider the day to day attentions of our leaders and of the 'average American'. The former is involved in the metal consideration and verbal negotiation of 'how to best influence the population'. The latter is concerned with 'how best to raise a family while juggling professional concerns'.

The not often recognized and poverty stricken citizens who have no awareness of complex sociology and economics, but still have a vote and strain the limits of America's welfare programs are a major issue here.

Why is my vote any more important than somoene who was convinced by a campaign strategy...because they were influenced by rudimentary 'psy-ops' in the form of advertisement and billboards.

I, on a daily basis, focus on 'the issues'. I believe that my participation on ATS satisfies my 'civil duty'.

And yet people who don't interact with the election process every three years out of four have a voice equal to mine...

I love the discrepancy inherent in that...and will defend others voice.

I will make mine smaller, yet more consistent, because I truly think there is a difference to be made...

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 03:42 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

That is a weak argument, my friend. Please refer to my above posts.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Why do you think that the 'Powers That Be' would accept any percentage of chance regarding the leadership of this nation?

I'm confused do you mean chance or change ?

You have have lost me . There isnt a job that doesn't require some degree of training and/or preparation .

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join