It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it normal to get dizzy while using the computer ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 02:34 AM
link   
I don't know if I should put this here, but its computer based so I thought its ok.

When I've been on the computer for a while I sometimes start feeling wierd. I get dizzy and sick and have almost passed out a few times. Usually when I get like this I just leave the computer and either sit down or do something else and I feel fine after a few minutes or so.

Is this because of the monitor refresh rate or what ? and does anyone else have this problem ?
Is there anything I can do to deal with this ?

And no, I'm not epileptic.

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 03:30 AM
link   
I felt sick when I was on the computer once but I think it may have been due to the 8 pints of Guiness I drank beforehand. :w:

I've heard of a few people having this. I think its because you are sitting too close to the monitor.

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 03:44 AM
link   
Low Blood Pressure.

When I have been working on the computer sitting still for a while I notice something similar. Do you sometimes get dizzy when you stand up quickly?

Otherwise do you work on your machine in a room with only a flourescent light?

The interference between the screen and the light can cause nausea...

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Might be a Photoleptic Seizure

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Netchicken
Low Blood Pressure.

When I have been working on the computer sitting still for a while I notice something similar. Do you sometimes get dizzy when you stand up quickly?

Otherwise do you work on your machine in a room with only a flourescent light?

The interference between the screen and the light can cause nausea...

you've got low blood pressure too? it sucks, eh?

i haven't actually been nasueated by the desktop monitor. i'm usually on a laptop, so that's got a LCD... but when i did use the desktop for a long time (4+ hours nonstop) my eyes would hurt. i did some research online and found that for every half hour you spend looking at the screen you should spend five minutes looking away or doing something that requires movement. so what i would do is use the computer from say 9 until 950... then from 950 to 10 i would use the bathroom or stretch or walk around the house. it really helped my eyes.

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 04:41 PM
link   
make sure you have your refreshrate as high as you can setit..

and for your eyes burning, go into the monitores options and turn brightness down as far as you can then conter that with contrast.

then, your eyes dont get tired from staring at computer screen..

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 04:42 PM
link   
my settings for a viewsonid 3 contrast 31 brightness

posted on Apr, 9 2004 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Yes, I think its your refresh rate. I've felt sick occasionally after using the computer but I've never passed out or anything like that.

Someone I worked with told me that the refresh rate can have the same effect as flashing lights have, and that epileptics can get seizures as a result. You said you don't have epilepsy, but have you been tested for petit Mal ?

posted on Apr, 19 2004 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Definitely your refresh rate...XP likes to default at 60 Mhz.
To fix go into Display Properties / Settings / Advanced /
Monitor and adjust your screen refresh rate as high as it will go (example when set at 1024 X 768 at 24 bit, you can go 85 Mhz),
That should do it.
Another thing to consider if this does NOT fix is note if you feel light headed, your face feels warm and when you look away from the monitor things have a green or red tint to them, you then need to get a LOW Radiation rated monitor.

posted on Apr, 19 2004 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I've been dizzy a few times its the same as watching to kmuch T.V i guess.

XL5

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 05:03 AM
link   
I have The same thig happen to me when I play: wolfenstien3d (PC), MTVs slamscape-almost right away (psx-old game) twisted metal black-using a fast turning car (psx2) or any 3d game where the character turns fast.

What helps is laying down in a dark room and taking advil. Also finding a game that does this just a tiny bit and becoming imune to it, then it just feels like the back of your head just tingles.

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 06:52 AM
link   
It's the Monitor Refresh rate. You have to set it at the highest your monitor can handle. I usually have it set to at least 85hz. Also dont use your computer in a room with no lights. Always have your light on in the room while you're using the computer. And also if you start getting sick STOP USING THE COMPUTER INMEDIATELY. Get up, walk around the house for a bit and rest your eyes for a couple of minutes.

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 07:10 AM
link   
There are plenty of guidelines around for the safe use of computers. Here's some.

www.hse.gov.uk...

I imagine you are not taking breaks/sitting in a good chair with a suitable setup. We all know how addictive ats/bts/games can be, but please read some of the guidelines so you are aware of potential problems and have the odd break from the screen.

top topics

join