It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Violent Video Games Linked To Aggression In Children

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Choronzon
Hahaha, yeah come election time, conservatives will pay to have scientific articles give them an easy platform to spew censorship....lol.

Uh... Hillary Clinton, Evan Bayh, Joseph Lieberman (at the time a Democrat), and Tipper Gore are conservatives now? Sorry, but take your lies and fabrications elsewhere. The liberal democratic party has become the party of entertainment media censorship. It wasn't the conservatives who acted like Sally Struthers in a Feed the Children commercial when the GTA Hot Coffee mod was discovered. It wasn't Nancy Reagan who blew her lid over 2-Live-Crew, and it wasn't George W. Bush who made an ass of himself over the game Manhunt.

Censorship in the name of "protecting our youth" is a liberal political leadership movement, NOT a conservative one. We don't buy into it taking a villiage to raise our damn kids, we believe it just takes two people, a mom & a dad, and some common sense on their part to make the right choices for their kids.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 03:19 AM
link   
You're right I should have said older politicians.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Oh, so there are people out there that actually don't make the connect between a Childs (Adults) daily interaction and their future behaviour? That blows my mind!

Here's an exercise, what was the last Children’s Film from Disney etc that didn't have aggression and conflict as its central premise?

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 04:49 AM
link   
Where's S.N.U.H. When You Need Them?

I suppose I'm hopelessly programmed but I can't read an article like this without being reminded of what is probably the finest send-up of this subject ever devised...

The Simpsons: Itchy & Scratchy & Marge

Scratchy: “Lemonade?” Itchy: “Please.”

Now that's entertainment.

N.B. Studies show that incessant nagging about issues like television or video game violence leads to violent behavior.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I very simply blame the parents. I work for a major games retailer in the UK and see this kind of thing every day. Here's a perfect example:

Child comes to buy a copy of the latest GTA games and is turned away on ground of his age. Child then comes back with parent. Sales assistant notices the child and realises the woman is buying it for him. Assistant points out that the game is 18 rated and shouldn't be played by kids, but she says its ok. Assistant presses the matter saying things like "Would you buy your son an 18 rated movie or a bottle of vodka?" and "You do know this game contains graphic scenes of violence of sex?" Parent always has the same canned answers; "Its ok, he played the others." "Its fine, all his mates have it." Assistant sighs and reluctantly sells the game as he can't refuse sale on any legal grounds and knows that he's played a part in warping some boys mind.

Parents need to wake the hell up. They're filling their kids heads with things that are more destructive than most drugs out there. The games are mean't for adults and are rated for that very reason. An adult can process what they see on screen in the most part. They have a much higher chance of being able to distinguish fantasy from reality.

Adults have a right to enjoy adult themed entertainment - Don't blame the games!

Kids will always be drawn to what seems taboo and are told not for them - Don't blame the kids!

Parents have no idea what they are doing to their kids even when you lay it all out there for them. Mum always knows best? I wish that were true. Deny ignorance!

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by kundalini

I agree in that it's on the parents. However, the parents need to spend time with the kids and teach them the difference between real and video game. The parents also need to limit game time, and offer up suggestions as to what the kids can fill their time to.

And yes, I'm a parent. I have a 14yr old boy, and a 12 yr old girl, both have video games, and my son play games like Mortal Kombat, and other violent games.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 08:23 PM
link   
People of this world have been committing crimes for years, people that are young and people that are more mature. The world has always been like this. Video games have only been around for about, what, 20 or 30 years or so? In my opinion, this is just another way conservative people to put blame on something. The fact that some kid stole a car? The fact that some kid killed someone? That doesnt have anything to do with video games, that kind of crap has been going on since the beginning of time. Crap back in the caveman days, little caveman kids probally stole peoples clubs. Was that blammed on too much cave paintings?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join