It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Violent Video Games Linked To Aggression In Children

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Violent Video Games Linked To Aggression In Children

www.telegraph.co.uk< br />

The link between video games and aggressive behaviour was analysed in comparative studies in Japan and the United States in a bid to determine how closely they were connected.

The results, which were published in this month's journal Pediatrics, showed that despite cultural differences and disparities in crime rates, children across the spectrum were affected equally by playing games.

Craig A Anderson, a psychology professor at Iowa State University who lead the research, said: "We now have conclusive evidence that playing violent video games has harmful effects on children and adolescents."

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Okay, I'm going to be careful on this one, because I see a duality of possible disturbing recourse on this issue.

On the one hand, I can certainly see where kids sitting in front of these games, where they are chain-sawing heads and limbs off or slashing people's throats is definitely not good for their mental disposition.

But on the other hand, I get a slightly uncomfortable feeling with some of the wording being used here, as I can see this possibly taking a turn towards big brother stepping in with more control measures and / or possible actions. I think it ultimately rests in the hands of parents to moderate what is and is not acceptable, and at what age.

But this is a sticky issue to be sure IMO...

www.telegraph.co.uk< br /> (visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Hm.

Despite the fact that I used to play a lot of computer games and despite the fact that I'm a, uh, "liberal"...the results of the study don't surprise me at all. I'd expect it.

Just like I wouldn't be surprised if another study were published linking teenagers' behaviour and film/TV.

But where to go with it once the scientific evidence has been built up?

And surely some other scientists will publish the results of their study saying that there is no link.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 11:59 AM
link   
There are lies, damned lies, and statistics - Winston Churchil

Studies like these are utterly useless because video games do much more than only teach children aggression. Me personally I have learned how to operate an organization, lead a group efficiently, manage my time, improved my hand eye coordination, learned how to market a product, and learned important life lessons like not quitting when the going gets tough. I guess doom and gloom studies are more popular than the ones that are beneficial.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 12:03 PM
link   
As the poster before me states, I too think it's a little bit of BS.

Sure it might have SOME effect, but everyone gets affected differently.

For example, me. I am one of the most peaceful people on the world in real life, and I played more (''violent'') games than you can count on a calendar.

Even when people hit me in real life (friends and such.) rather than getting mad (like some other people do) I just ignore it.

That doesn't mean that I am completely pacifistic though.
Use of force is sometimes necessary to bring across a point to some bragging kid that feels like he's the king, when he's not even close.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   
To me, it is impossible to differentiate whether violent games lead to violent behavior, or violent behavior leads to violent games. Does gun ownership cause violence or does violence cause gun ownership? I will agree with the wording as far as using 'linked' but any attempt to say it causes violent behavior will be met with heavy skepticism from me.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 12:09 PM
link   
How dare they suggest my obsession with Grand Theft Auto make's me aggressive!!! I'll kill the MF'ers!!!! ...ROFLAO....

No I can see how it would desensitize kids but in this day and age they see more violence on the streets in school and at home then they do on some silly computer game...
Just ask the brother of the kid in SC who was killed trick or treating.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I'll tell you what should be linked to agression in children. Improper parenting. That's right, teach your children the difference betwen fantasy and reality and they won't act out the things they see on tv. But no, no one is gonna do that, they would rather just let their kids veg out and blame video games for their kids problems. I played plenty of violent games, I was also told the difference between the game world and the real world. Stupid parents.

link   
So.....

Did Jeffrey Dahmer, Fred West, Peter Sutcliffe, Jack the Ripper etc play violent video games???

link   
It's funny, for every one of these studies that claims this link, there has been one that claims no link exists.

Kids immitate what they see up to a certain age. It's why we don't watch violent TV or play pretty much any video games with our 2 1/2 year old or 1 year old up and watching. The last damn thing I want to explain to my wife is where my son learned to slap the mandible claw on his little sister following him watching WWF with me.

That said, I do not believe that a "normal" kid becomes violent after playing Gears of War. It's kind of like when I was a little kid my friends and I used to pretend we were in Star Wars. We made our own light sabers and tin foil & cardboard Darth vader helmets and such. My friend James always wanted to be Luke Skywalker and I can honestly say I never tried to legitimately slice off his hand when I was pretending to be Vader.

The REAL problem today is that we live in a society where expression of violence is verbotten and that goes against human nature. Kids, especially little boys, fight. It's part of their nature. Many, many times in grade school I'd get into a fight with some other guy and we'd both end up with bloody noses, a black eye, or whatever else. After a little bit of sniveling and some angry looks at each other for a day or two, you'd usually find us back playing together like nothing ever happened. Now days schools have a zero tolerance policy and kids are taught that no fighting is acceptable. What's that lead us to? Kids bottle up their emotional anger until it becomes rage and they end up taking dad's handgun to school and popping a few shells into Little Jimmy's head. All easily preventable if you'd just allow kids to be kids.

If anything I think violent video games allow kids like that to actually express their anger in some small way and, truth be known, it probably feels good to them so they decide to try expressing it in real life. In today's zero tolerance world the mere fact that they're expressing such a natural (but percieved as distasteful) emotion apparently indicates an obvious problem to the so-called "experts."

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   
You only have to compare the way children and yteenagers behave in this century, to the way children and teenagers behaved in centuries prior to the existence of video technology.

Prior to that, most of them spoke in a respectful manner to adults, worked hard to help the family unit, and stayed out of big trouble overall.

Today we have record numbers of teenage pregnancies, brutally violent street gangs filled with youth as young as 11 sometimes even 8 !!! Children are murdering their peers in school with heavy weapons, running rampant with social disrespect to authority, having fun stealing cars and selling drugs.

You can blame parents all you want, but in all truth most young children involved with crimes have parents who have been teaching them about morals and respect since they were young.

The problem is when you are poor and your children are witnessing an unfair society that punishes citizens with no means the media helps to shape how they view the world, and will override what parents have taught time and again.

The media conglomerates have spent billions learning how to manipulate the psycology of young and old alike with their programming. For anyone to be naive to think the billions they spend are for nothing, and have no impact on the minds of citizens, especially that of the MOST impressionable age category of all, young children and teens, well I hope you just understand people do not spend money on research they dotn plan on using.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Couldn't agree more DD.

If parents relied more on responsibility and attention towards their kids more rather than letting them "plug-in" to a world of violence, they wouldn't have to suffer a future with their kids getting into trouble and accepting violence as pert of everyday life.

......but how many busy parents do the right thing, how many parents would exchange part of their busy schedule to spend time with their kids?

Much easier to let them "play" or stare at the TV for hours.

I believe you are also right about the "wording".

I am suspicious of ANY government report like this. What is the underlying message, who compiled the report, why and at what cost?

More importantly...will they act on the information?

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 12:32 PM
link   
from me it gets a big "so what?" do we need scientists to tell us that playing outdoors is a healthier option as well?

the thing is, these games are expensive and rated by the distributors, at least in europe.

the shops won't sell the violent ones to kids, in my experience, but i have seen something indicative of the real issue numerous times. i like video games and play them quite often, i'll usually spend a few minutes browsing the aisles on a Saturday to see if anything takes my fancy. now and again i'll notice a child being refused at the counter, only for their parent to stomp up to the counter, annoyed at the inconvenience.

there are parents out there that believe that a violent game is something along the lines of street fighter 2, or maybe even a few who think of donkey kong, this study isn't going to change that.

i'm half afraid they'll find out how graphic these games are in case they attempt to stop good games being released because they're to lazy to police the media their children are consuming.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 12:34 PM
link   
And listening to NPR makes me violent and agitated.

It isnt the content of the games so much as it is sitting and doing nothing for hours at a time for months on end making these kids irritable. Not to mention when playing these games online kids are subject to racist tirades, hostile name-calling and abuse, constantly trying to keep their character alive for periods of seconds and minutes, etc..

Playing online games like Halo and GoW and COD4 can be a very stressful experience especially when done for 4/6/8 hour blocks like some of these kids do.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I believe it depends on the person.

If you are the sort of person that is easily led and already show signs of agression these games will only nurture and force your agression to grow. On the other hand if the person is not easily influenced and not in his/her nature as there is no agression to nurture, these games will not have any effect.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Shut the F##&* up! I will pwn u, frag ur 8ss till kingdom come! Den snipe ur hed into pixilated blood glory...
oh wait, sorry. I thought this was the Halo 3 chat room....

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Hahaha, yeah come election time, conservatives will pay to have scientific articles give them an easy platform to spew censorship....lol.

Although, gamepolitics.com has consistantly shown evidence that video games have no real bearing on child behavorial development.

Kids will be kids, with or without video games. I would rather have my kids fraggin zombies on tv, than shooting up convenience stores on the streets.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 01:11 PM
link   
These studies seem to pop up every few years. The way the subject is sensationalized is disturbing but the idea that any form of media has a impact on our development is plausible. They say that playing loud aggressive music in the car makes you a more aggressive driver. From experience I think this is true but everyone reacts differently.

The idea of young children watching and playing violent material does make me uncomfortable. These games have obvious ratings, it is not the fault of the games industry. The latest game Gear of War 2 has parental controls built in to eliminate blood and swearing from the game even though it has a 18 certificate, so the games industry seems to be going beyond the call of duty.

If I want to rip peoples heads off in a game then that is my right as an adult. The content is not the problem, its the irresponsible parents and retailers that should really be the ones demonised.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   
There is a big difference between children being more violent if they play computer games, and children copying computer games. It was widely documented that james bulgers murder had similarities to the film childs play. However the two murders must have already been un-hinged. The hypothermic needle media model suggests that people are instantly affected by what they see and hear in terms of media material. Most of us could quite happily come out of a cinema after seeing someone go on a murder spree, and instantly distinguish between reality and fiction. Unfortunately there are people who are unable to flick that switch and remain in the world of fiction. It annoys me when people blame computer games and films for a childs violent behaviour, it is not the root cause, it is merely eccentuating a problem that already exists within certain people. I do agree however that the effects of violence are rarely portrayed accurately and it is this lack of education that could cause problems.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I have a shirt that reads "Everything I know in life, I learned from playing video games."

Believe it or not, I feel that this is somewhat true. But this does not mean that because I play video games that I am going to go murder someone. I have been playing video games for 20 years now. I have yet to chainsaw someone's arm off . . . heck . . . I have not even jumped on a Goomba's head yet!

There are ~600 kids at the high school I work at. I know most of them. About 60% of them play video games. None of those would intentionally murder someone.

Games are good at teaching reaction, hand/eye coordination, driving, problem solving, math, reading, geography, working together, etc.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join