It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TA-ATTACKS: Terror Arrests This Morning in the UK, Half Ton of Ammonium Nitrate Recovered

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Eight suspected Islamic terrorists have been arrested and more than half a ton of ammonium nitrate recovered early this morning in several locations around the UK. All persons arrested are British citizens between the ages of 17-32. This news comes just hours after the Phillipines reports of similar arrests and discovery of explosives.

Sky.com

The raids happened around 6am local time as police, numbered around 700, armed with search warrants entered 24 locations throughout the country. The searches took place at several buildings in London, plus Uxbridge, Ilford, Colindale, Crawley, Slough, Luton, Horley and Reading.

The ammonium nitrate was discovered in a storage facility on Boston Road, Hanwell, west London, according to Scotland Yard Assistant Commissioner Peter Clarke. Clarke is also the National Co-ordinator for Terrorism.

The operation is still ongoing, indicating there may be more arrests made as the day progresses.

The arrests are not linked to IRA activities, nor are they directly related to the Madrid bombings.

Arrests were made in Crawley, Luton, Redbridge, Ealing in London and in the Thames Valley.

Ammonium nitrate, when mixed with diesel fuel, yields an extremely powerful and deadly explosion. The 1993 World Trade Center bombing, the 1995 Murrah Building bombing in Oklahoma City, the 2002 Bali blasts and the 2003 Turkey bombing all were a result of ammonium nitrate explosives.

More on this story as it develops.

Related Stories:
TheSentinel.co.uk
Reuters AlertNet
CNN.com
TheScotsman.co.uk

ATS Discussion:
Phillipines Attack "Thwarted"

Related ATSNN Stories:
Where is the Missing Fertilizer?

[Edited on 30-3-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Working on details.
This one looks to be big. Stay tuned.

-B.

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Could be more hype and wishfull thinking than reality...

news.bbc.co.uk...

Scotland Yard said the operation was continuing and sources said reports that bomb-making equipment had been found was "going too far".

The raids took place in Crawley, West Sussex, close to Gatwick Airport; in Luton, Bedfordshire; in Ealing, west London; in Redbridge, east London; and at an undisclosed location in the Thames Valley.

Scotland Yard declined to reveal how many premises had been raided or how many people had been arrested.

Britain has been on a high state of alert over terrorist activities since Christmas and one step off the highest alert in London.

Following the bombings in Madrid, Metropolitan Police commissioner Sir John Stevens said an attack on London was "inevitable".

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Main story updated with info from the press conference that just completed.

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 05:04 AM
link   
worrying stuff, i hope they catch them all as i live in that precice area.

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 05:06 AM
link   
Well, here's confirmation on TWO of the attacks being ammonium nitrate:

"The material recovered is the same type which was used in the Bali bombings in October 2002, which killed 202 people, and last year's attacks in Turkey, which killed 160.

The main explosion in Bali involved 50-100kgs of ammonium nitrate - around one fifth of the amount recovered in London today."

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 05:07 AM
link   
Oh...by the way that means they found about 500 kg.

We've still got a lot missing bat poopie out there!

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Your missing a link to your story mine lol more related as info about what its used for and such

link

[Edited on 30-3-2004 by SE7EN]

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
Oh...by the way that means they found about 500 kg.

We've still got a lot missing bat poopie out there!

Damn right Valhall, 500kg = 1,102pounds.
S.

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Sounds like the Police in the UK are doing a good job. I hope their counterparts over here in the US are focusing on the right folks this time.

all eight were of Pakistani descent

Not much of a suprise there, maybe profiling does work.

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 10:45 AM
link   
British citizens? Pakistani descent? Confusing, this is. When I think of British, I think of pasty faced limeys, tea time, ect. Why do they just not come out and say it?

TPL

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 11:06 AM
link   
When I think of British, I think of pasty faced limeys, tea time, ect.

Im British, slighty tanned, and i hate tea.

From www.nationmaster.com...&id=uk

English 81.5%, Scottish 9.6%, Irish 2.4%, Welsh 1.9%, Ulster 1.8%, West Indian, Indian, Pakistani, and other 2.8%

[Edited on 30-3-2004 by TPL]

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Ammonium Nitrate is the main component of ANFO, a high explosive.

ANFO, Ammonium Nitrate Fuel Oil, is a mixture of ammonium nitrate with diesel. It is highly explosive, although not nearly as much as c4, and fairly stable, requiring a large trigger charge to detonate it.

ANFO was widely used in IRA bombings, such as the one on a shopping centre in the mid 90s, and possibly Omagh.

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 11:06 PM
link   
This is a bit troubling. Does anyone else see a pattern forming in the last two monts of bombing activity? I felt UK was a likely next target and it is following a close timing with the past three major bombings!

top topics

join