It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it me or are there lots of commercials aimed towards females these days?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 12:53 AM
link   
These days, every channel I flip through I see either a tampax commercial or something feminine in general.

Take Comedy Central for instance, here in GMT time zone. It's supposed to be a guy's channel where South Park and comedy films play all the time. Yet, I see commercials for women and crap like that. What gives? Is it some kind of conspiracy to feminize the males of America?

As I was typing this up, that annoying commercial about birth control came on again:

"Tired of your old birth control routine?". Like, why would I give a crap?! lol. I just wanna watch my Futurama and Colbert Report damn it!

Edited to fix video link.

[edit on 4-11-2008 by LiQuiD_FuSioN]

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 12:59 AM
link   
I agree with you on that, I actually brought that up with someone not too long while watching TV. Most commercials I see are for hair, cosmetic's, tampons, food, cleaning products, etc...

I believe the reason is women do most of the shopping in the household. Also all that hype about "Preasure on young girls to look like supermodels".

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 01:02 AM
link   
are you feeling more feminime Liquid_Fusion?
Are the commercials getting inside your head?
you have the need to wear girl clothers

lol
i think it's what c4rt3r says, women do the shopping in household.. aimed at them
and often we're both watching tv.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Exactly. I can understand a commercial about hair products and cosmetics now and then, but not at the frequency that I'm seeing them lately. It feels odd to say the least.

And no, I have no need to wear "girl clothers" (except on Tuesdays).

[edit on 4-11-2008 by LiQuiD_FuSioN]

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Women are needy. Hence commercials. Men are simple and need nothing. Hence no commercials.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 01:32 AM
link   
You just now noticed this? This is nothing new.

Advertisers aren't dumb, they know who the consumers in this society are. Besides nearly everything on television period is geared toward females. How many dudes you see in Ellen's audience, the view....fuhgetuhboutit....television, especially during the day, is geared toward women.

Women love to shop, don't tell me thats news to you. Credit card companies know this too, thats why women have more of them with higher limits it seems.

-Liquid

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Hint: Women represent slightly more than half of mankind. In our culture, men don't use nearly as many types personal hygenic products, and I suspect that they don't use nearly the monetary amount either.

men use: deodorant, cologne, antiperspirant, shampoo, conditioner, soap, hair gels, and various hair restoration and recoloring products, condoms, and various products which claim to enhance the size of a man's penis.

women use: deodorant, antiperspirant, perfume, shampoo, conditioner, soap, lipstick, other makeup, various facial and anti-wrinkle/aging creams, hair removing products, skin creams, various other bath products, tampons, absorbent pads, various methods of birth control, weight loss products, various types of cosmetic surgery, and various products that make shaving more convenient.

Now of course few people would actually use all of those things, but it would seem to me that many women take their appearance more seriously than the majority of men, and the sale of cosmetics to this market is a huge and lucrative business.

I doubt advertising to the group that makes up a MAJORITY OF LIVING HUMANS is a conspiracy. It's the sensible thing to do.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 01:24 PM
link   

what gives? Is it some kind of conspiracy to feminize the males of America?

This is something that has been addressed on at least 2 talk radio shows that I can think of. Here, in seattle we used to have a talk radio station on FM that was "for guys." But, it got shut down, probably had one too many complaints from women.

Jeez ladies, can't we even have the radio?

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 01:31 PM
link   
One thing I've noticed in many commericals lately, and my wife has commented on it too.

The commerical will show a couple. The woman ranges from "WOW!" to "Attractive". The guy that is playing her husband / boyfriend will range from "average" to "fat dumb slob".

I'm honestly not sure what the deal is with that - other than commericals often don't reflect reality.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by LiQuiD_FuSioN

There are more women than men in the world by 51% to 49%, and so there will be more adverts targeting women. If you then factor in how different demographics respond to brand loyalty and new products, and it's not surprising that you get lop-sided targeting of adverts.

It's just marketing.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

Yeah, women get so many more commercials targeting them while portraying men as fat dumb slobs or just another kid to be taken care of.

My theory is this. Men in general and Caucasian men in particular are the last demographic that can still be made fun of and not be considered "discriminatory." Any one here seen that Jack in the Box commercial lately with the two white males in business suits pushed around in a stroller? Well, they act like babies while the female that pushes them feeds them some kind of fast food crap to shut them up. It is very offensive to me and it should be to all males. What if that were two women being pushed by a man?

My point is this, we as men don't complain nearly to the extent of women. (sorry if that offends some of you chicks on here) We grin and bear it because it has no real effect on our well-being. This is our nature, we just "tough-it-out".

That said, its good to vent about things that upset you and feminist commercials and attitudes just get under my skin.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 02:09 PM
link   
hah well when i see commericals for male enhancement im pretty sure thats not geared towards me

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by calihan123

Yeah, I don't like that either. I was talking more about the ratio of female:male oriented commercials and how the opposite sex was portrayed. Sorry if I neglected to mention this in the above post.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   
No, super secret, I got what you're saying.

I can think of a couple radio shows that have touched on that too. I think it was just a couple years ago that a major advertising firm in the US said "no more" to dumbed down male ads. I don't have a TV so I don't know if they have decreased over the past couple years or not.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   
well... i believe the reason why so many more ads and commericals etc are geared towards women are because simply put.... women shop a lot more than men do.

So they gear everything towards women because they are more likely to buy it

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   
seems like everyone's getting that.. "not so fresh feeling"

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I've noticed for a while now that the adverts for kids toys are about 95% girl related.

At least in the UK they are.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Old Man
I've noticed for a while now that the adverts for kids toys are about 95% girl related.

At least in the UK they are.

I think they look at statistics of what sells best. If people buy more girls toys, than boys toys... they will advert their ads and whatnot to girls toys

thats all it is.

link   
Yeah, women spend more. Old news. But what is up with the male bashing? Is it necessary? Back in the 50's products marketed towards women didn't do this. Im not actually that old, but I have seen many old commercials. I think that it has become a "cool" thing to bash males and portray females as the all-important sex.

Liquidsmoke, they have not changed. I notice it daily. This is one of the reasons I don't watch very much TV compared to the average American.

link   
to call it advertising is a sleight of hand, what it actually consists of is convincing you to buy crap you don't need. there are a number of different ways to do it and some approaches work better than others for different demographics.

women, it seems, respond well to direct advertising, men on the other hand respond well to product placement and children respond well to bright colours.

men emulate the men they wish to be, a guy wants to be james bond, driving a fast car with a beautiful woman beside him as he pulls up and beats the crap out of ten hench men, so he buys the same watch james bond had in his latest movie.

james bond type ads work, but men tend to flick so they have to be placed carefully to be effective.

women wish to project an image so they buy stuff with that is associated with the image they wish to project. the best way to establish an association is through repetition, tv and radio ads are the best medium for this.

product placement works, but the element of repetition limits the effectiveness of the strategy.

it's not that the companies are marketing only to women, it's just that they are marketing to men in a different way.

the ugly slob/sexy woman thing is just lazy advertising toward men via the "sex sells" button and towards women using the "men are slobs" button. it's just lowest common denominator stuff.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join