It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

As americans why do we fear the world?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Why is it that living in Amreica we have to fear everyting and everyone else out there? Like we should be scared to death about any advancement that anoyone else makes? I thought we were supposed to worry about ouselves? but we spend almost all of our time either angry at someone else and scared that they will create some weapon to destroy us or something that will make us look bad? when did Syria, Iran, N korea, guerillas in the Phillipines, Indonesia, Iraq, Russia (again), China, Venesualia, Bolovia, and sooooooooo many other become something we should be scared of?
shouldnt we be friends to the world? instead of fearing and wanting to destroy everything they do?

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Good thread

I think we do not fear the world. The government gives us reason to fear the world.

As long as we have governments, people from different nations will continue to fear each other.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 01:10 AM
link   
I think it stems from two things.

Firstly, the way your country was 'born' in the first place and what actually came about in that war. If I was a psychoanalysist, I'd wonder whether America had some kind of birth trauma. You also have a constitutional amendment that might give you the right to arm and defend yourself but also serves as a (subconscious but) constant reminder that you could be attacked from without or within.

Secondly, your patriotic culture - which is unlike anywhere else in the Western world - has, for want of a better word, 'brain-washed' you. I say that as an observation rather than a criticism. You are raised to believe that America is '#1 at/in everything' and that all other countries are 'jealous' and they want to either take away what America 'has' or they just want to destroy it. I think that's certainly been the case since at least WWII.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 01:15 AM
link   
it goes much deeper than that, jam321. there is not nearly the sense of "existential fear" in other nations as in america. (i lived in italy for a year and those people are CHILL.)

to me, it is the disney factor. even my 5 year old nephew and 3 year old neice are obsessed with "bad guys". we are raised on bad guys by the PTB as a part of their conspiratorial system of tyranny.

anyone and everyone COULD be a "bad guy".

oh no!

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 01:23 AM
link   
I think Americans may have conflicting thoughts on other nations:

1) Americans sympathize with humanitarian issues. Natural disasters, widespread disease, poverty, genocide, these deal with the welfare and safety of the citizens, and are issues Americans commiserate.

2) Another feeling may be the "fear" your talking about mrbule. This fear, like you stated, is instilled in us by those in power, and is based on the supposed threat of other nations, a threat that we as individuals don't have a capacity to deal with, ex. I don't know anyone with a personal home missile defense system. The key to curbing this fear put in us by politicians is establishing strong relationships with foreigners, building our own bonds as citizens of Earth and not just nations.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 01:30 AM
link   
"We" fear the "world" because we don't, as a biomass, know what to fear - we aren't taught to unless we have exceptional parents/friends/people that post on the internet that we stumble across.

There's a rule that micronationalists can understand - watch the coast, the sky, and the sea; there is nothing to fear except a failure of defense. See Pearl Harbor and 9/11. - You know what I thought when I saw the "news" from NYC? GOD DAMN AIR FAGGOTS! Honestly, I was more pissed at the people who failed to bag the terrorists on the plane (coincidentally I lost all trust and faith in the civilian population then) ...but then I thought about the procedures and stuff for defense now that are drilled into our sensor operators, ground crews, and pilots... Yes, I know that is irrational but that's what went through my little brain at the time.

We "fear" the world, in my estimation, because we have been deceived into thinking we are invincible. Most countries produce things that are so superior in design and construction it's a wonder why any one thinks that "We are number 1!"...do people covet anything Americans make, other than the military technology? I would rather have, let's say, a Swiss watch and an English car than anything made here, knowwhatimean?

link   
The two reasons that I can think of are:

1: Control. A fearful populace is an easy populace to control. Fear is a great motivator. We volunteer to give up our freedom and our rights. We will go to war with anyone if we are scared enough.

2: Profit. It is very profitable to keep us afraid of the world. The military industrial complex wouldn't exist if we didn't fear everyone. They can thank fear for arms races, wars, rebuilding contracts....etc.

If the people weren't afraid, we would see through the BS and wouldn't allow 1/2 of the insanity that we are seeing today.

link   
I will have to agree that it has always been engrained into people from the beginning.
Add to that, this country is literally thrives on the seven deadly sins. The worst of them all is the obsessive pride in country. To see that fall would be the ultimate insult and I believe there is a measure of fear that comes with that constant concern. It also lends to the overall rudeness of so many Americans traveling abroad. This creates tensions between the citizens of those countries. Again, American pride has also caused so much of the rest of the world to feel compelled to learn English when most Americans can barely speak English, much less another language.

Pride and vanity are the absolute worst of the sins and they are the most rampant in the US.

Dont let me close this without saying that I am a proud southern American.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 01:37 AM
link   
heres another question...
my wife is from Indonesia...
a lot of my co-workers are from Morocco, Turkey, Azerbejan, Korea, etc. I have a real international lifestyle because i believe it makes me a better person. And while I read the paper and try to discuss issues they blow most of them off. I mean a lot of koreans talk about how N Korea hates the south more than it will ever hate the US. and Turkey with Armenia, etc.
but we seem CONVINCED the bombs are coming.. like the focal point of some global front against us... where does that come from?
Most countries have neighbors that want them gone, we have oceans and continents between us and our "enemies" so whats the big deal?

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Because the man on the TV tells us we should fear them.

Throw out your stupid TVs already or this will continue to happen!

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Americans fear the world because the American Government wants them to.
They are really good at it too. They strike fear into you with tools like the media so you don't worry about how your freedom is being taken from you.As long as you are scared, dumb, and angry they can feed you just about anything and you will feast on their deceptions while they sacrifice you and every other American for whatever purpose they choose.

However, I believe big change is on the way. Americans are waking up and starting to realize how corrupt their country has become. Let's just hope that when and if the majority of the American people decide to make serious changes that it involves a non-violent solution.

[edit on 4-11-2008 by silverking]

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Acually We aren't afraid we are just good shots and have a pathological dislike for "might makes right" despots who show up and get out of hand.It has been our job(Pol Pot and Rawanda not withstanding) to stop global threats based on the "smartest"opinions of our strategists,so we send our bravest to die based on their prognostications.
I'm not afraid,however I am not nor will I ever be a Muslim.For some silly reason,someone thinks I must die for that.And they are using the civilian populaces of the world to hide in and as sort of hostages.They could be your neighbor,or mine.
They are certainly using their CIA training well....with a little help from China and the rest of the middle where the jobless young men attack the great Satan.Funny though,if I wanted to cripple the western nations I would hit the Grand Caymans,Switzerland and anywhere else nondisclosed funds are traded.
"They" would never allow that.
Lethal Tourist

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Merriman Weir

You also have a constitutional amendment that might give you the right to arm and defend yourself but also serves as a (subconscious but) constant reminder that you could be attacked from without or within.

That is an interesting premise however whether legitimate or not it is insignificant compared to the constant bombardment by the media of impending danger. There are many individuals in this Country that choose to rely on their television to form their opinions on the world. This is very dangerous especially if what is being presented is bias.

Secondly, your patriotic culture - which is unlike anywhere else in the Western world - has, for want of a better word, 'brain-washed' you. I say that as an observation rather than a criticism. You are raised to believe that America is '#1 at/in everything' and that all other countries are 'jealous' and they want to either take away what America 'has' or they just want to destroy it. I think that's certainly been the case since at least WWII.

Americans have been raised to believe that they live in the greatest nation in the world. So much so that many believe our Government is immune to the same corruptions and pitfalls that other nations have faced. However I disagree that our patriotic culture is unlike any in western culture. Patriotism has been a tool used for millennia in many cultures and nations.

[edit on 4-11-2008 by harvib]

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Ya know, far be it from me to differ from people's opinion, but isn't fear healthier than death? If I go to a middle eastern country and off base, the odds of me getting captured and decapitated are real. Did everyone forget about that crap? Somalians dragged dead American soldiers through the streets. I don't think N. Korea is working on ICBMs to hit S. Korea, or Iran, Russia or China. It wasn't French barracks that were blown up, or a German warship that had a whole blown in it (U.S.S. Cole anyone?)

Remember fear comes from the idea of losing something (Health, life, property) We have so much here that we are terrified of loosing it. Even citizens that profess to hate America, they aren't moving out of it.

I think that as Americans we don't have much of a flight instinct. Something scares the country, we immediately put our hands up to fight. That's who we are. We have a spirit that we can do anything and that macros right up from individuals, to states, to eventually the whole of the union.

I think we fear loosing what we have, and I would venture to say that we are one of the most, if not the most hated country in the world and a lot of people would love to see us fall off our high horse. It could all be paranoid crap, but remember...Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't really after me.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by harvib

That is an interesting premise however whether legitimate or not it is insignificant compared to the constant bombardment by the media of impending danger. There are many individuals in this Country that choose to rely on their television to form their opinions on the world. This is very dangerous especially if what is being presented is bias.

Which is what I'm alluding to in the second part of my post.

However I disagree that our patriotic culture is unlike any in western culture. Patriotism has been a tool used for millennia in many cultures and nations.

I've been very careful to not suggest that patriotism doesn't appear anywhere else, or that strong patriotism doesn't appear occasionally anywhere else occasionally. However, there's no culture in the Western world that has a population nurtured to be as vociferously patriotic or believe that their country is the 'best' in the way that happens in America. It just doesn't happen.

If you think differently, I'd be more than interested to hear where else in the Western world this is the case.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 03:05 AM
link   

However, there's no culture in the Western world that has a population nurtured to be as vociferously patriotic or believe that their country is the 'best' in the way that happens in America.

You may be right. I am not able to speak intelligently on the matter as I very rarely leave the greatest nation in the world.
Just kidding.

I don't think Americans are as blindly patriotic as you might believe. I would venture to guess that most Americans see the actions of our Government as not being out of necessity. I do hear the rhetoric but I also hear an equal number of people that realize it to be rhetoric.

[edit on 4-11-2008 by harvib]

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Could the fear be at least partly be because the USA is a super power, the biggest one from what I hear? I always thought being on top makes people paranoid, then again its not necessarily misplaced as throughout history world powers have been attacked by others, often because of their actions in other countries.. Just an idea.

[edit on 4/11/2008 by CuriosityStrikes]

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 03:55 AM
link   
I don't think it is all just perception.

There is no doubt (and I think we can all agree) that Bush has been the worst president.
Look at the last attack on Syrian soil. There are reports that innocent people were killed, and some kidnapped by American forces. Where are those people now and why is America refusing to answer to the international community? You cannot (whatever country you are from) simply kidnap people.
Can you imagine if any country did this to Americans? There would be outrage!
Yet the American people seem to think it's fine to go around the world and snatch people, disappear them.

Due to this attack on innocent (and I mean innocent, until proven guilty in a court of law!) civilians in Syria, that government organized mass rallies against America. Millions of people in that country are now severely angry at America for what they see as aggression against their people. Their people have been taken, any nation would see that as extremely hostile.
And the American people sit back and either ignore it, or try to justify the actions as "counter terrorism".

Guantanamo Bay. Need I say more?

So, I really don't think it is unjustifiable fear. It would have been ten years ago, but America is quickly upsetting millions of people around the world, it is giving them a thousand and one reasons to hate America.

I have no doubt that if there were a thousand people wanting to attack America ten years ago, there are now a whole lot more because of the way America thinks they rule the word and have a right to do whatever they like wherever they like.

Ten years ago I wanted to travel, I wanted to see America, as much of it as possible. But with Bush in power I canceled my plans. I didn't want to visit the America that was being made. I'd like to think that under a new government things will change, but I'll have to wait and see.
The fact that people don't protest Guantanamo, they don't protest corruption, they think it's fine to kidnap people, they think it's perfectly o.k to force thousands of Black people from their homes in New Orleans and refuse their return, all these things and more suggests that America is not a place I want to visit.

That's just my opinion, and I'm sure many here will disagree. Just wait for the calls of "anything to protect our nation!"

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 04:17 AM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

Hey buddy, get your facts straight. Don't blame the American people for all of this crap. I'll give some on it to government corruption just fine, but there has been an assload of people protest Gitmo.

I don't take kindly to you stating that the American people support troops kidnapping and killing innocents

"The fact that people don't protest Guantanamo, they don't protest corruption, they think it's fine to kidnap people, they think it's perfectly o.k to force thousands of Black people from their homes in New Orleans and refuse their return, all these things and more suggests that America is not a place I want to visit."

This statement baffles me...we have protests over this crap all the time. Don't make broad generalizations that we are all just fine with the bad crap that goes down. Also, when a city is a damn bio hazard zone because all of the contaminates that were EVERYWHERE in New Orleans, yea, the Guard had every right to not let those people return. All those statements and more suggests that America wouldn't want you to visit.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by harvib

I don't think Americans are as blindly patriotic as you might believe. I would venture to guess that most Americans see the actions of our Government as not being out of necessity. I do hear the rhetoric but I also hear an equal number of people that realize it to be rhetoric.

I didn't use the term 'blind' as, to be honest, I don't think it's a fair assessment on Americans. Even those critical of any specific government have still been raised in a patriotic culture that exceeds that of anywhere else in the Western world. Even the notion of patriotism is different in America. Again, I've yet to see people anywhere else wrestle so much with whether certain things are 'patriotic' or 'unpatriotic' or not. It just doesn't appear to matter as much to other countries.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join