It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Was That? Anyone watching Colbert on 11/3 see the nuclear war 2020 then dead air?!?!?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by zmouse
I was just thinkin the same thing, games like fallout 3 and other post apocalyptic games

A post-apocalyptic game would be sooo boring.

I mean, what would be the object of the game? Your character has to find something to do? Do you just float in the dead abyss of space, post-Earth? Or [and this one may hit a little closer to home for some], does our hero have to retreat to a dark place, deep underground, to the sub-basements, if you will, and seek out ways to earn enough coins and experience points to eventually reach the surface world?

Actually, I think I played a game like that on the TurboGrafx-16 in my friend's mom's basement back in '92.

EDITx2 to add smarm

[edit on 11.3.2008 by ItsTheQuestion]

[edit on 11.3.2008 by ItsTheQuestion]

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 11:52 PM
link   
I did just view that commercial not to long ago and was befuddled as to what it was for. My best guess would be a game, but i still question the whole kennedy quote, as if it were just a commercial. Then the dead air was what really got me. Like the network took it off. Interesting...

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 12:11 AM
link   
There is another game, Frontlines: Fuel of War, en.wikipedia.org... , that covers the very same concept about a Western Missile Defense System and Russian Oil leading to global war between the east and west in the 2020s. Its a great game and could almost be seen as a 1st person shooter counterpart to Tom Clancy's EndWar, which is a strategy game.

Is it a conspiracy, I doubt it. It is ironic though that at times it seems as if some games seem to be windows into the future, like the game Real War which involved the US in a global war on terror after major terror attacks. The game came out before 9-11. Another interesting tidbit about that game:

Joint Forces Employment - The original game that Real War was created from. It was never released outside of the U.S. military. Released on May 17th, 2000. The game is, apart from minor differences in interface and unit statistics for balancing, (For example, the MLRS units in JFE have much longer range than in Real War) virtually identical to the Real War games released for civilian market

The civilian version of Real War was released on September 2001.

[edit on 4/11/08 by MikeboydUS]

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by robertnesta

They have used games like this to de-sensatized children and young adults for as long as there has been video games.
It brainwashes them to accept violence.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shystargazer

They have used games like this to de-sensatized children and young adults for as long as there has been video games.

That's what they say. Whoever "they" are... [i.e. a Source helps...but I digress...].

On the flip-side, heavy video-game use toughens up the thumb pads and reduces the risk of sunburn. Also, there's this, which refutes [or attempts to, anyways] the argument of the former link.

People have seemingly always been violent. From feeding slaves to the lions in Rome to the web site dedicated to dueling derelicts, an inherently human sadism may just be the same ol', same ol'.

Then again, there are some real bad-AST [sic] kids out there these days.

[edit on 11.4.2008 by ItsTheQuestion]

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shystargazer

but it's so cooool though!...
don't you just wanna be a kid again.. or an adult baby pacified by your new pretend-genocide toy?

it's so nifty and awesome!
let's all buy one!

humanity is insane for glorifying war.

....and you know it.

-

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by prevenge

I know!

Why is it that the most angry are given such a prominent VOICE in our society?

Those who, despite the supreme law of the universe, wish to ignore that law and spew out negativity, hatred, piss and vinegar...only to get the same in return.

Now, I'm not suggesting that we skip around like Pollyannas, pretending that everyone out there is friendly and warm and nice. The world is not a womb.

However, it seems that the most hateful are the ones whose words and actions seem to just hang there the longest.

The ones who conveniently forget that "you reap what you sow" [sorry to get scriptural, but the guy had a point...whoever actually said it...plus, it's more erudite than referencing 'The Secret'], those who reject the FACT [IMO, of course...
] that what goes around comes around. Period.

There are no victims. Only volunteers. You know who said that? Tubbs, from 'Miami Vice'.

You know what he meant?

People who play violent games get violence in return.

Law of the jungle AND of the universe.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by robertnesta
op where are you located as this might have been some sort of political thing adressed to people in swing states, this might be the case i dont know.....

I'm wondering why you might think the swing states are an issue. I'm understanding from this that you think that it's some propaganda of some sort on behalf of one of the parties? However, 2020 is possibly 3 terms away, surely? Unless you buy into the idea of all elections are rigged, surely it's a bit much anyone suggesting they know how politics are going to pan out internationally over the next 12 years as well as the next 3 elections?

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Tom Clancey is trying to tell you something.

Wars invariably ramp up to higher scales, with more and more inclusive targets. Since WWII no one is excluded.

WWIII would not be any fun at all.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 02:00 AM
link   
i don't know. if you are good a video games you can sit in a simulator and control a unmanned weapons systems remotely. you would need good eye hand coordination as well as fast reflexes or some kind of mind link. you would be seeing through a camera and radar so it would not be personal. you would just be playing a game. as long as they look at it as a game it is not real. press reset and start again on a new target.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 04:36 AM
link   
reply to post by SEEWHATUDO

It looks like the trailer to Tom Clancy's "Endwar" game which (according to the trailer, comes out Wed Nov 6th). The trailer is on the web. Only half of it played during the Colbert Report though - the black screen was a bit unnerving...

At first I thought it was a not-so-subtle reference to the "Daisy Ad" that President Johnson ran in his 1964 campaign against republican Barry Goldwater. McCain took Goldwater's place when he retired from the senate. I think the timing of the ad was for us old fogeys that remember...

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 04:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by robertnesta
by the way its interesting to me that they are making more and more games like this, its almost as if they are trying to get kids interested in being apart of fighting like this.

some nice subtle unconsious implants into the mind for the younger generation geering them up for what could happen....perhaps

As plausible as that sounds, since the army has designed a game just for recruiting puposes and you have MTV's the Island sponsored LOUDLY by the army, and less loudly by "Far Cry 2."

But then again, war games have always been around and sell well because they are fun. Imagine taking all the shooting out of video games and what are you left with? Even Mario shoots fireballs. I would never join any standing military as any of them are set up at the moment. I am certainly not pro-war if it can be avoided and I do not relish the idea of taking the lives of strangers, but I can play every Rainbow Six (before vegas) over and over and over. It is just fun. Fun makes me buy it. Game companies know that. They make more.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 04:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Velvet Death
i don't know. if you are good a video games you can sit in a simulator and control a unmanned weapons systems remotely. you would need good eye hand coordination as well as fast reflexes or some kind of mind link. you would be seeing through a camera and radar so it would not be personal. you would just be playing a game. as long as they look at it as a game it is not real. press reset and start again on a new target.

Maybe it is just a perfect coincidence that games are fun and would make good recruiting/training tools. I really do not think it is part of any grand design, just things working out perfectly to keep us under thumb. Kind of like how drugs feel soooo good but are such a detriment. No conspiracy there, just works out real nice for drug dealers and DEA funding.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 05:46 AM
link   

You're not crazy. I saw that commercial too. I wondered if it were some sort of political ad, but the idea that it's a Tom Clancy novel or video game also sounds reasonable. I live in VA.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 06:49 AM
link   
You people are the same people that made a fuss when Elvis was shaking his pelvis and had a heart attack when Kiss made the scene, its a video game nothing else why are you trying to read into a recreation item????

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cyberbian
Tom Clancey is trying to tell you something.

Wars invariably ramp up to higher scales, with more and more inclusive targets. Since WWII no one is excluded.

WWIII would not be any fun at all.

Tom Clancy is trying to sell you something.

Any additional lessons are incidental.

In fact, it may just be a bit of accidental irony. See, Mr. Clancy makes the sum of all his profits by capitalizing on man's fascination with war. With violence. With bloodshed. With fighting. With fear.

I truly doubt that he's trying to do anything other than convince people how terrifying his world is.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Maybe Rock Band and Guitar Hero will turn us all into Rock Stars

The only conspiracy I see here is that every time a kick - ass video comes out, I gotta fork out 60 bucks to my local Gamestop.

Meanwhile the kids in there are making something like 6 bucks an hour.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 08:45 AM
link   
I saw it, and it was WEIRD. I was like...what the hell is this a commercial for? It completely got my attention and I was waiting for it to make some kind of point, then NOTHING. Dead air, as if the network had pulled the plug. My first impression was that the network had been hijacked for a minute and that somebody didn't want us to see that. I don't think it had anything to do with a video game. The Kennedy quote wouldn't fit into a video game commercial. In any case, I have a feeling we wont be seeing that commercial on TV again. Anyone DVR it???

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 01:26 PM
link   

yea i saw that last night and the 60`secconds Dead air was crazy strange , glad i wasnt the only one that saw that. i felt like it was really going off , they got my attention. heck off an add for a video game . anyone rember games like sonic or Mario, haha haha lets hope kids find that there is more to life than this plastic food in the lunch-line , there was once i remember , and i would like to see it again.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Gaaah.

This topic has made me really want to get this game,

but,

I am playing so many other games at the moment.

I'm stuck in the middle of LOZ: PH, a GBA game, and, I'm kind of playing an xbox 360 game.

If I get one more game, who knows how much time of mine will be taken up?

I charge the OP with a conspiracy of making me want another game.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join