It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you stop believing if Religion is a proven lie?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Why?

Why does it do all that for you?

The OP's premise is that The Bible has been proven false.

That wouldn't affect using The Bible as a moral compass?

[edit on 4-11-2008 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
The day I quit believing is the day I die.

Religion is just another habit of mine except this one is a good habit.

Hahahaha! Thats because when you die you will realize what a waste of time it was!

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by oswald roswell

I think you are absolutely right, except I think that people will mold their beliefs to fit with what is undeniably true in the end. People will start out with one belief and then learn something and slightly change their belief. This will happen over and over until eventually their belief has become something entirely different than it started as. However, this is the long way to find truth. Think of it in terms of animal behavior some travel in random undetermined motions in response to a stimulus until they are eventually in a comfortable position. Others travel in a directed movement in response to a stimulus and find comfort much quicker.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by 12.21.12

Hahahaha! Thats because when you die you will realize what a waste of time it was!

or I will be in heaven waving at you as you sit in hell....

Guess it could turn out many ways.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Heres what Religion and other institutions have done for me.

Made me think that I was powerless.
Made me think that my problems were bigger than I am and that I must hand my problems over to a higheer power, because I had no control over them.

Sound familiar? I was court ordered to take AA classes. AA is just as much of a brainwashing cult as religion is.

Made me confused as to why One Nation Under God kills in the name of God.
Made me wonder how somebody could be born of a virgin and die on the cross and then rise again.

Then logic struck in and I called BS!

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 12:33 AM
link   

or I will be in heaven waving at you as you sit in hell....

Guess it could turn out many ways.

Guess you would have to convince me that hell exists then.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

Why does it do all that for you?

The OP's premise is that The Bible has been proven false.

That wouldn't affect using The Bible as a moral compass?

Even if it has been manipulate, are not some of our laws based on the same principles contained in the bible?

Why is it that we trust that our family will always be there when we need them?

Why do we believe in our government?

We have been manipulated throughout our life but continue to believe in family and Government. Religion is something to believe in also.

That doesn't mean you turn into this holy moses type guy. It just means you have a set of principles you believe in that helps make you a better person in life.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Guess you would have to convince me that hell exists then.

Naw, I don't have to convince you of anything.

We have a choice to believe what we believe and I respect that.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Okay, sounds to me like you need a more effective habit. How about visiting a psychiatrist oh, I don't know, maybe to start with 42 visits a week. Does that sound good to you? It will be just like going to church and listening to your preacher every Sunday except even more often, sounds like fun to me, don't you think?

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Why is it that we trust that our family will always be there when we need them?

Why do we believe in our government?

We have been manipulated throughout our life but continue to believe in family and Government. Religion is something to believe in also.

You presume that I trust my family and believe in my government?
Where did you get that idea, from the bible?

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by cancerian42

Guess that would be your opinion.

Who said anything about church? Can one not believe in God without going to church?

One day when you are in a serious situation like an F5 bearing down on you or someone sticks a gun to your face, let me know who you turn to to help you out of that situation. Amazing how people can pray to God when their life is on the line.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 12:50 AM
link   

You presume that I trust my family and believe in my government?
Where did you get that idea, from the bible?

I do believe I was talking to Lucid when I said that.

No, not from the bible.

Do you not buy meat from the local store, prep it, cook it, and eat it? If you do then you have trust in your government. Otherwise, you would raise , slaughter, and prepare your own food. We all have blind faith in a lot of things we do and those were a few examples I gave.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

I don't think I will, but there's no way I can convince you of that.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 01:01 AM
link   
I actually found God recently. Even now I am still not religious, modern religion is a scam.
Now if we could bring back all the original scriptures, study and translate them properly then I might become religious.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 01:06 AM
link   

I do believe I was talking to Lucid when I said that.

Sorry, I thought you were using the term "we" as in society as a whole, not as in you and Lucid Lunacy.

Do you not buy meat from the local store, prep it, cook it, and eat it? If you do then you have trust in your government. Otherwise, you would raise , slaughter, and prepare your own food. We all have blind faith in a lot of things we do and those were a few examples I gave.

As a matter of fact I am glad you bring up this subject. I am always telling my mom not to buy meat. I do plan on being vegetarian and growing my own food when I begin living on my own. I do what I can now, but unfortunately my mom is very stubborn and I do have to eat to live. Would you care using a few more examples of blind faith so that I can see your point more clearly?

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Mozzy

Well i guess since i am only 26 and my IQ is 122 i am I am glad to know now that i can stop believing in religion, Wow, thanks for the enlightment.
Are you serious, so am I suppose to be an idiot for believing. People need something to look to in times of need. If there were anyway to disprove it i would still believe. But there is no need for this question because it can no more be disproven than it can be proven.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Dump Religion - sure. Dump my Faith - NEVER.
I used to think like many of you, very open minded to all the possibilities until I fould access to the only true solid rock - the creator of the universe.

RELIGION [going through the motions and keeping up appearances] is not of much value. There is much room for lies in all of that. What IS pure & of real eternal worth is experiencing God's love. Knowing Him. It is real. Once you have a relationship with God/Christ you "feel" it to your bones. You'll see proof daily that His love & power is very real. It continues to amaze me after 32 years that He really knows me & cares about the little things that matter to me.

LIES: Sure many religions are akinned to a form of slavery. Mankind can never be 'good enough'. There are many lies & traps in varoius religions.

CHRIST- Not a lie - It's about ACCESS. Only because God's Son, Jesus became the sacrifice for our sins are we made acceptable to God. Christianity is not a lie - it is God's way for us to access Him. Thousands over the centuries have died rather than denounce this truth.

It's NOT RELIGION - it is relationship: Don't miss out on your chance. Get a NIV [New International Version] bible, pray that your heart will be open to understanding it & dig in. The New Testament is jammed pack with truth that will open your eyes. The Old Testemant gives the Judeo background foundation & reveals much about the faithfulness of God & his character. As you come to know Him, He will fill your soul & you will never be truly alone ever again. You won't even have to fear death anymore. All Christ's own have so much to look forward to in this life and the one to come, eternally basquing in His glory & love. Once you know Him you would never denounce Him. His existance and love are the most real thing in the universe. Don't miss your chance to have a relationship with Him. He is truly the only thing that can truly fill up your soul. RELIGION never can. People [friends/lovers/family] never can - sustained over the years. The hollow of the soul is too large for any human to fill - only God is enough.

Especially with 2012 coming- who know? We all need to be ready. I wish you all the best as you learn to know & trust Him. Remember, He takes you just as you are. Don't wait to develop your relationship with Him & to know His love. Your soul is extremely valuable to Him - just as a child is valuable to His father. It's much more than RELIGION.

Kuodos to all you open minds that care about things that have true eternal value. The hunt is over. I challenge your pride and prejudices to check out the bible & see for yourself. There is true power & satisfaction found through the word of God.
Kind Regards,
Your Kindred Spirit in Texas -
Deeply Happy to have the truth

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 01:28 AM
link   
I have never believed in Religion.
I have never believed that 'mans words' are the illuminating force to Spirituality.
Religion is not the fabric of God.
Whatever you put first in your life is your God.

Would you live your life differently if you had indisputable proof?

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by azureskys

Great way of explaining it, hopefully some people will understand this once and for all.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 01:31 AM
link   

late but I will try a few more.

Do you own a gun or do trust the police will be there to protect you?

When you are driving, do you trust those around you to drive as carefully as you?

Do you trust doctors when they give you medicine? Especially medicine that is relatively new.

There are many examples where we trust certain persons or entities without thinking twice.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join