It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you stop believing if Religion is a proven lie?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I believe the human mind needs to believe in something, anything, to cope with despair, hopelesness, or just things that go beyond its comprehension.

So my question to all believers is: would you stop believing in Organized/Widespread Religion if there was some way to disprove it beyond any reasonable doubt???
For instance: let's say that we can prove that Jesus, Mohammed, Buddah or whatever are all lies, fabricated by some elite who made up this figure just to get you under control... what would you do? Would you be angry? Would you still believe?

I've read a lot of posts that go like "In Enoch, God tells that... " as if the Bible is an undeniable truth, but I have yet to read why the Bible is an "undeniable truth" based on a very solid argument.
Even if God exists and it's exactly as depicted in the Bible, are you aware that this book has been manipulated over the centuries over and over, right? Are you aware that they took some books off and put some on, just because they (the Vatican) "liked them more"?

I'm not making this thread to get flamed, I just want to know how people think.
Personally, I believe that there's some higher being that pulls the strings, and have been a christian since a long time, but some events in my life made me question all these "undeniable" things and today I can honestly say that I don't know whether this things are true or not, surely there are a lot of incongruences and the ones I've mentioned are just a few of them. I won't blindly follow some doctrine just because it gives me some comfort, specially if I may have been lied to in order to benefit others... but what about you?

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 10:56 PM
link   
first of all, it's never a good idea to come down on the buddha. personally i've never read any "debunkings" of him. (not that there are many facts)
reading his words is enough to believe, fabricated or not.

www.youtube.com...

watch and learn.

secondly. people don't actually believe in religion. people above the age of 25 or with an iq higher than 120 will eventually realize that religion is just books. all those people just believe in other people and their community. i'm using christianity as a basis for that broad generalization. of course it would be easy to say that the stoning of a 13 year old girl would require a depth of faith unimaginable to most, but then again, probably not.

people go to church because it's a good idea. because they can meet like minded people and sing songs and take a moment to dedicate themselves to something absurd and unimaginable. if organized religion is a conspiracy you have to take into consideration that nothing worthy of turning into a widespread conspiracy is worthless. no one has started a nationwide cult that believes kool aid is ten times better than iced tea but is strictly opposed to all soft drinks.

[edit on 3-11-2008 by Mozzy]

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 10:58 PM
link   
While I am not a follower of a specific religion, I do believe in a god. Well, if it can be undeniably proven that the god I believe in does not exist, I most likely will "see the handwriting on the wall"
and not believe in that god. I have specific reasons for believing in the god of my life and doubt that anyone can disprove that god to me, nor do I believe I could ever prove that the god I believe in is real to other people.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 10:59 PM
link   
I thought religion was a proven lie ?

However yes I still believe (not in mainstream religious dogma though obviously).

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 11:02 PM
link   
If people get some sort of pleasure from religion, by all means keep doing it. Religion is largely cultural, but that shouldn't distract them from attaining spirituality.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 11:03 PM
link   
even when proven ... it would take hundreds, possibly thousands of years for mankind to totally let go of religion. (imo)

but i don't see how it could even be dis-proven. unfortunately.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I stopped believing when I found out most things dont really make sense..

Tho, I still wear a cross
Probably honoring Michael Corleone. I was raised catholic, sometimes I think of God when something really good happens or something bad happens. It's kinda confusing

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 11:23 PM
link   
I don't think people would ever stop.
It forms the framework through which they hold their reality together .. their thoughts.. their version of "how everything IS"..

You'd have millions of people going mad (or maddER)..

I think the only answer is BlueBeam.

Using rationalism to deduct the fact that we are um.. LITERALLY .. ONE thing experiencing itself.
And prove it through science.
And augment the other religions till they merge... through technologically innovative "reality sensory/emotion theatrics"

Then we'll have sanity and .... //big sigh of relief//..... REASON.

I used to be all "oo yeah big bad BlueBeam's gonna try to fool us.. but NOT ME!..."

but when you really look at it..

it's literally our only hope.

either that or a few more millenia of warring religious factions and watching humanity be at it's most inefficient and least capable stage of collective mentality.

help us Obi-BlueBeam... you're our only hope.

a lil tangented off the OP ... but you can see what i'm saying.

Religion is "THE STORY OF REALITY" for people... and there are so many different ones.
It's tough to "unwire" someone.
I mean just look at abused dogs or abused people... and how they turn out.
how can you "un-abuse them" once that neuropathy is in place and engrained??
Peoples brains operate in a specific manner according to their religions... and sure you have some converts to athiesm and other religions etc..
.. but for the hard liner extremists in all religion... I think even if you disprove it.. they will bang their heads against the padded walls screaming NO ITS TRUE IT HAS TO BE!!! IT WAS SO REAL TO ME!!

Imagine if we actually had THE TRUE STORY.. of how everything happened.. and what reality IS ... what WE ARE...

and in a moment of clarity.. (think laughing buddah)...
We realized that he is us... this ethereal all pervasive "thing" that controls our environment.

it's us..

how much more beautiful and ironic wold that be.. if you actually realized it.
and "god woke up"... by us realizing we are "it".

note: this in no way negates that there may very well be LARGER extremely spiritually advanced and incredibly powerful entities out there.. which would seem to be "gods" to us.
and a central "godhead" collective of mines that have harmonized into one major force.

I'm just talking about the big picture.. our connectedness to one another and everything and how we all need to be aware of that every second of the day eventually.. in order to operate at our most efficient and harmonious.

Only way that's going to happen is through a world religion of ACTUALITY.

one that CAN be proven.

-

[edit on 3-11-2008 by prevenge]

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 11:29 PM
link   
religion can never be "disproven". you can't "prove" that something does not exist.

the claims of religion are, by design, not falsifiable. there is always a justification, always one more place for the imaginary g_d to hide. if people really want to believe, and they do, they will continue to believe.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by oswald roswell
religion can never be "disproven". you can't "prove" that something does not exist.

the claims of religion are, by design, not falsifiable. there is always a justification, always one more place for the imaginary g_d to hide. if people really want to believe, and they do, they will continue to believe.

you don't know that.
maybe it's impossible with the technology made available to the human public.
but what if there's a method to view actual happenings of the past..
or actually go back and actually see what actually happened??
you could completely.. disprove anything...
eventually.. when the human race discovers the secrets of the universe.. and completely uncovers the most advanced forms of ultra technology...
you'll be able to without a doubt.. see what actually happened in our past and what didn't.

NOTHING'S impossible...
just not yet .. for us .. the public, it's not a probable possibility to do so... as far as I'm aware...
beyond comparing ancient texts and using deductive reasoning...
no time machine.. and no history-viewer ... YET.
... for humanity's public that is.

-

[edit on 3-11-2008 by prevenge]

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 11:56 PM
link   
While I agree that most religions are false, including most of mainstream Christianity (since their doctrines are based mainly on paganism and not what is contained in the actual Bible), as far as I'm concerned, the Bible, through prophecy, has already be proven to be true, if you simply open your eyes.

2Peter 1:19 We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:

It was through Biblical prophecy that my eyes were opened to the fact that God does exist, and what is contained in the Bible is true. People can rave on about how the Bible is simply a tool to control men and how it has been changed over time, but how do they explain the intact ancient manuscripts that are the same as todays copies, and why does one third of it contain prophecy, all of it fulfilled except the prophecies concerning the end times, which are now being fulfilled. This free online book was the first one that blew my mind....

The United States and Great Britain in Prophecy - biblical-truth.com...

If you can read that free book and not at least be curious, then you have already made up your mind before even reading it.

There are many sites out there showing the fulfilled prophecies of the Bible. The Bible can and has been proven true, if you simply throw away all your ignorant excuses to not accept it, and take a long hard look at prophecy.

[edit on 3/11/08 by doctorex]

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Ill just leave you with this thought.

We have known pro wrestling is fake for decades now and there are many people who still think its the greatest entertainment on the planet. ANd many fans deny that it is fake.

[edit on 08/11/3 by metaldemon2000]

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Do you mean would I stop believing in a higher power? In a Creator God? If all mainstream religion was disproved it wouldn't change that for me because I don't base it on any one of them

My dreaming would also have to be disproved

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Has it not been proven that most Religion(s) are a lie? Even so, people will cling to their religion, even if you put it out, right in from of their faces. Heres a great example www.abovetopsecret.com...'

To the guy who posted about buddhism, I tend to agree with him. Jesus Christ just happened to know a thing or two about it, because he studied vedic texts in India as a child. www.abovetopsecret.com...'

EDIT TO POST: I Still believe in GOD, but I tend to believe now that we are all a part of GOD as represented by the Mandlebrot Set. www.abovetopsecret.com...'

[edit on 4-11-2008 by 12.21.12]

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 12:06 AM
link   
American Heritage Dictionary
re·li·gion (rĭ-lĭj'ən)
n.

1. Belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator and governor of the universe.
2. A personal or institutionalized system grounded in such belief and worship.
2. The life or condition of a person in a religious order.
3. A set of beliefs, values, and practices based on the teachings of a spiritual leader.
4. A cause, principle, or activity pursued with zeal or conscientious devotion.

[Middle English religioun, from Old French religion, from Latin religiō, religiōn-, perhaps from religāre, to tie fast; see rely.]

I have included that definition because in the current world, we seem to have a greater value for tangible evidence than we do extrasensory observation. At the same time, please read the first line of the definition but exclude "super" from supernatural. That is the definition for science. In line four, leave out "spiritual". We have clearly made science a kind of religion. Just as the churches have skewed the Absolute Truth about everything, so has science done in its lust for power and money. Neither are interested in enlightening us and both demand our unwavering devotion and blind faith.

Now, having a spiritual outlook on life only adds to life. I used to be one of the mindless adherants to science. For well over twenty years I believed a good part of what scientists published, or at least took it as a step closer to the Absolute Truth. I lost that as so many errors were glaring in so many reports and studies. My own intuition had told me so the whole time, starting when I began studying medicine over 25 years ago. But I had faith that science would triumph. Sadly, it never did. But then neither did any religion. I can tell you, when you truly believe in nothing, life is a hollow experience.

I'm not here to expound my discoveries or to preach my beliefs. I just wanted to point out that science demands and receives the same sort of devotion to practice and mindless defense that the church does. It is no less an organized religion. And it is unlikely that many people actually go through life as objectively as they like to think.

Just look at the debunkers here.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 12:08 AM
link   
People stop believing in religions everyday. It starts with a passion for truth. When you gain truth you realize that a religion that contradicts the truth is undeniably proven untrue since the truth can't contradict itself. But it is a personal path that everyman follows. It's basically life. You trade your old religious superstitions for the truth. You begin naive and are given wisdom over time. Everyone goes through this process at some time. So the answer to your question, "Would you stop believing if religion is proven a lie?" Of course I would, because I am walking on the path of truth rather than the path of ignorance.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 12:11 AM
link   
The day I quit believing is the day I die.

Religion is just another habit of mine except this one is a good habit.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Would you care to enlighten me as to why religion is such a good habit whether it is true or not?

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 12:19 AM
link   
I do not believe in biblical religion for precisely these reasons, but Indian and Chinese religions are not "constructed" in the same way - they are NOT based on "revelation" or "holy scriptures" but on human conciousness, human experience, human reason (the ethical eightfold path of Buddhism for example is not "God" saying thou shall not - it is a rational programme of self/psychological development).
All religion is not the same. The casual use of the word "God" muddies the waters too, the Judeao - Christian - Islamic personal "God" simply does not exist in Chinese / Indian religion. Not making these distinctions confuses the issue of "would you believe?" - Believe WHAT precisely?

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by cancerian42

Good habit because it helps to keep me in check. It keeps me from being an alcoholic. Keeps me from losing my anger and doing something I may regret later. Keeps me from ridiculing people just because of the way they act or look. I feel like it gives me the motivation to be a good member of society. Keeps me away from drugs and bad influence. All of these these things and many similar ones is why I call it a good habit.

We are all just one step away from being in prison stripes especially when we don't control our anger.

[edit on 4-11-2008 by jam321]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join