It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stock market and the presidential race

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 06:44 PM
link   
So, the election is tomorrow night, as if you didn't know.

Right now, there are two outcomes that I can see.(I'm not holding out much hope for Ron Paul)

So, what happens to the stock market if Obama wins?

Or what happens to the stock market if McCain wins?

I'm curious what you all think is going to happen.

Remember, the people that pay most of the taxes will be paying more if Obama wins and McCain has promised those same people a tax cut.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Here is my prediction for the outcome of the election vs the stock market. I do not think it matters who wins the election whether it's Obama, McCain, Paul, Or even Geoffrey the giraffe. The markets will move north for a couple of days after the election is over, followed immediately by a continuing slide until it reaches a true bottom. There is nothing to support the markets at their current levels. The news coming out every day points to a continuing slow down globally. The changing of the POTUS is not economic news its just news. I just hope for all of our sakes that who ever wins they are ready to take hold of the reigns and get this situation turned around.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I have to agree with your analysis.

I thought that it would head south if Obama wins because people will be selling and taking profit(if such a thing is possible) before Obama raises the tax rate on the people with high incomes.

I was thinking that there wouldn't be much change if McCain wins. Perhaps a slight bump north but in reality it is just a continuation of existing policy.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Tell you what,I'm waitig to see the outcome too,I'll empty my bank accounts so Obama can't share my wealth,I'll hide the cash then I'll act like I'm broke

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Oldtimer2

There can be a lot of money in being broke!

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   
My small business grew and flourished under Clinton but thanks to the GOPs
trickle down economics; I'm facing chap. 13, laying off my help and taking what little assets I have left and finding a place where my $$$s will go further. The big Corporations got the taxpayer funded, bailouts and subsidies; I didn't get squat.

I paid less business taxes under Clinton, had affordable raw materials, and had a client base that had some disposable income, could afford the gas to travel and wholesale my product, and enjoyed a much more favorable climate for the entrepreneur.

I'm a republican but guess who I'm voting for this go round?
The lying, fear based campaigning didn't wash with me this time.

It's the economy STUPID!!

edit to add...I have no confidence in the Mkt. I'm bailing and taking my loss before it tanks for real.

[edit on 4-11-2008 by whaaa]

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I think that many voters are voting the economy.

To me, McCain represents more of the same as Bush. If you like Bush for 8 years you can vote McCain and have 4 more.

Obama says that he represents change. I've read his web site and he seems to want a lot of programs that would cost a lot of money. Where will this money come from?

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Stock market down over 300 points right now.

I thought this would happen with an Obama victory.

I"m curious what the future holds.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 01:03 PM
link   
The market will continue to tank. It seems there will be 1 or 2 up days a week at best. It's interesting to note that some of Obama's biggest contributions came from Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan, CitiGroup, etc.
The more money we print the less the dollar is worth it's as simple as that. The banker bailout is now up around 5 Trillion I think!

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I don't envy the job that Obama has in front of him.

The economy is in the dumps.

Bush has been spending like a drunk sailor and with the economy in such a sad state, there just isn't the revenue to fund all that spending.

Tax increases on the rich won't be enough.

I think that it will be a difficult few years.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Down about 1000 in two days.

How low will it go?

Hold on to your dollars because were in for a ride.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by MetatronCubensis
The market will continue to tank.

It's interesting to note that some of Obama's biggest contributions came from Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan, CitiGroup, etc.

Obama, received the most money from the Freddie Mack & Fannie Mae
mortgage issuers... more than any other candidate;
be they Republican, Democrat, Independent...
from what the media reports the Constitution Party received $0.00

so add the nationalized/bailed-out 'Freddie/Fannie 'to your list of
cash contributers... which includes those huge, conglomerate Banks you've cited

top topics

join