It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Holland is preparing for the worst..

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Interestinggg

Indeed you're right...

Oh well and if all else fails maybe we can use those politicians to strengthen our dikes....

So if you've got a couple to spare send them over to holland ,we can finaly put them to good use.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Not fear mongering just preperation. This type of stuff goes on all the time here in Miami. The news usually blares this stuff out during hurricane season. No big deal. Just be prepared.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 09:26 PM
link   
hi ya OP..

you were asking if the warnings were being given anywhere else..

the answer is yes.. here in ireland earlier in the year was released basic survival phamplet.. there was a lot of noise for about 3 days and then it settled again and i have heard nothing since.. but i remember at the time getting calls from friends who were worried and asking if i had heard anything.. of coarse i had nothing to say for certain..

i have one more thing to add and it is kind of a question to anyone who may be in the know about a star supposed to appear between mid november and december.. i have been hearing rumors about a close alignment of jupiter venus and pluto and the sun.. i have found myself watching these alignments of planets and although i am no scientist and have no proof but i'd nearly swear alignments and weather are closely related..

could this be a reason for the warnings..?

peace

daz__

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Queen Royal Dutch Shell...ya, people should probably not ever not be ready for the power going out, the food to stop being at the shoppe, and sewer/water system failing.

24 hours is silly - Hurricane Ike nailed me with power outage for 2 weeks, water for a week...and I live rather far from the coast. If you can't stock up or don't have land at least plant pots with nutrient rich vegetables/fruits and good soil...learning stuff like that is a good way to get into touch with real life and ignore the stupid distractions we all fall into - I say be prepared to run out as far away as you can to an area with farmable land or land that can be converted for a "short" duration into a microfarm (garden) and have seeds for ALL types of climates and areas in between. Oh, and be prepared to defend yourself - learn a combat method even if you have a gun - and help those who can not or won't help themselves (but don't let yourself be taken advantage of either). Like I say to my pals - pacificism is only ideal until you get attacked.

In a "new" religion there are nine principles of behavior that are defined as profitable for everyone - Courage, Truth (honesty), Self Reliance, Hospitality, Fidelity (commitment), Honor, Discipline, Industriousness, and Perserverance. That's from Asatru? New nordic rebirth of the old Ragnarok religion. I think that is basically a good group of tenants to live by all the time, not just when it's convenient or "profitable",

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 04:34 AM
link   
We had the same situation in the UK a few years ago, the Government was sending out information to every household with instructions of what to do in the event of a disaster or emergency.

I'm still of the opinion that it is a useful tool to scare people and make them more accepting of change, which is why they bring these things up every time they want to increase detention time, legal limits and intrusive public monitoring here in the UK.
Every time there is a debate on ID cards and databases here in the Uk they link it to terrorism, even though the numbers of people affected by a terrorist act in the UK is minuscule.
The proposed measures are not, in any way, equal to the small threat.

There are also groups and societies forcing the government to act on these things, making proposals for national awareness.
I'd say it's common sense. In a world where increasingly anything is possible, and where natural phenomena affecting large numbers of people seem to be increasing, it's just wise to be prepared.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 06:06 AM
link   
Could it be paranoia? (All that weed smoking...)
Or is it bright thinking and planning ahead for the inevitable?

But the *inevitable* is what?
Amsterdam/Holland isn’t known for being high on the natural disaster list now are they?

Trying times these...

Please nobody take offence at my rather feeble attempt at joking, just see it for what it was.
Gawd now I’m paranoid by proxy...

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 07:19 AM
link   
My apologies to all posters and readers of this thread.

I screwed up by not looking close enough at the website I linked to in my first post here.

I figured there was a problem when I couldn't find any other corroborating evidence of an alert that normally would be all over the web.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Well, then again, maybe some government administer is looking for brownie points and came up with this prepare for the worst propaganda to get himself a higher position. Maybe this administrator is related to someone, so they push the whole idea, cause they got nothing else to do.

Just out of curiosity, if the worlds oceans rise as predicted, are the Dutch developing plans to raise their sea walls accordingly, cause I hope so. Being my family came from those parts about a half a millenium or so ago, and in case all else fails, it would be nice to think I could go home should need be. Not meaning to be thinking only of myself and all.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by boaby_phet
reply to post by masqua

huuuuu!?

thats the first ive heard, or can find about that!

is that like a real link? or simulation, as theirs no flood warnings on the met office site..

If you read correctly it says: Big News Network.com Friday 9th November, 2007 ...so that was a year ago and did NOT happen

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 07:59 AM
link   
There are many possible scenarios at play here. This region is not unlike the area surrounding New Orleans but, is certainly more sophisticated in regards to flood control systems.

It would be safe to assume that govt. has taken cues from the Hurricane Katrina fiasco and is taking the proactive approach to helping its citizens. Ignorance is bliss but knowledge is power. Having the survival basics for the first 24 to 48 hours is crucial in any potential disaster situation.

On the contrary, the govt. may be aware of something more ominous on the horizon. The world is full of potential warning signs.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by ambushrocks

Originally posted by ambushrocks

Funny thing is we have never (and i mean NEVER!!) had a hurrican, typhoon or any other big natural disaster happening here.

Excuse me? We have had the flood of 1953!

I know it's quite a while ago but the dikes are not all in good shape and with most of us being below sealevel and with weather conditions worsening this can be a huge risk.

I do agree however with your conclusion that it's odd that all of the sudden we all need to go prepare ourselfs for emergencies. The Dutch government is usually quite layed back on that kind of thing.

Excuse me too
Please do a little history check: The DOM church in Utrecht was flattened by a hurricane (!!) or tornado in 1674. (the famous Dom tower was left) There are several books in Dutch literature plus wikipedia describing the event. So they do sometimes exist, although they are very rare.

Off course there were some events with water with the most serious recent one in 1995 when 100s of thousands of people were evacuated.

The campaign was planned many months ago, so don't expect something immediate. Also does the Dutch government spend a lot of money to promote knowledge of the monthly sirens tests and what to do. The reason for the campaign is that the Dutch are so much used to almost perfect working facilities that we are not prepared to any unforeseen event.

I think the current crisis (financial, geopolitical) make it a good idea to create a emergency package. I advice anyone in my surroundings to do so and am glad that I don't look stupid now since I'm no longer the only one telling to do so.

[edit on 4-11-2008 by jeroen]

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b
Just out of curiosity, if the worlds oceans rise as predicted, are the Dutch developing plans to raise their sea walls accordingly, cause I hope so. Being my family came from those parts about a half a millenium or so ago, and in case all else fails, it would be nice to think I could go home should need be. Not meaning to be thinking only of myself and all.

Yes, for the coming years they are reasonably save. In the long future there are g.e. (still fictional) plans for creating a +/- 200 km long and 1 km wide island at the coast which can function as a dike and can be used for living, recreation and a new airport. Costs will be reasonable since buying living space is expensive in the Netherlands. Costs per square meter are about the same as the costs of buying ground to build a house. If it has to be done it will be done

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 08:42 AM
link   
O worked for a company that was backed by FEMA after the Katrina event. One of the first thing's that was initiated into their preparedness plan was evacuation and survival rations.
There has been "Natural" disasters since recorded history, both by what they call "Acts of God" and "Plague and Famine" situations:

These 66 are listed sequentially, not by amount of lives lost or damage done. Some may have other situations which COULD be included in preference to some of these. Note also, we're only going back less than 900 years here, because there's little record to document natural disasters prior to that.
Also note that many figures are only rough estimates. As we have seen recently, after so many thousands, many people assisting with the disaster relief stop keeping accurate records - they're just too overwhelmed, too tired, too busy doing what has to be done and still survive themselves, that keeping detailed records ceases to be a priority for them. In some cases government authorities for various reasons have tried to hide the true figures (see 1976, China below); other situations involve more deaths from the "aftermath", so there are different reports given by different sources.
The TEN Worst Natural Disasters in the last thousand years (not counting malaria) - each with a million or more deaths - are coded. These ten combined resulted in over one hundred million lives lost - mostly through famine or plague.
What lessons can be learned from this information?

across.co.nz...

I suppose the best advice for "What lessons can be learned from this information?"
"To be safe and be prepared for any situation, no matter how vague or minimal the chances are of a particular situation.

IMHO....

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 08:48 AM
link   
OMG,this is terrible.What will happen to all the high grade pot in Amsterdam and all the works of Vermeer & Rembrandt & Van Gogh.Save our drugs and art I say.Then save the chocolate and the coffee(and the Delft china and lace which are also very nice.
Apart from that let Queen Beatrix(No nix mit Beartrix) and that big Church of Scientology buliding thats opposite that noodle house I went to in Amsterdam once get swept away....

So is it true or not or what?
Do we know yet?
Thanks CANDY

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 09:28 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I recently watched a show on the Discovery or History Channel here in the states that was entirely about the flood gates that protect England and how big cities like England have the $$ to protect the public in the event of disaster. I'm not sure if the timing is just coincedence.

[edit on 4-11-2008 by libertytoall]

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I live close to the 'Noordzee' (the northsea) in Friesland (northern province in the netherlands) and yesterday the army was trained how to deal with floods and how to act when the 'zeedijk' is broken

yes, people here live THAT close to the sea =]

My english is not that good but I can tell you, the army was practicing how to react when the 'zeedijk' breaches.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by libertytoall
I recently watched a show on the Discovery or History Channel here in the states that was entirely about the flood gates that protect England and how big cities like England have the $$ to protect the public in the event of disaster. I'm not sure if the timing is just coincedence.

[edit on 4-11-2008 by libertytoall]

I take it you mean the Thames flood barrier designed to stop LONDON being flooded. But in all honesty last time they 'tested' it , it didn't work and 2 of the gates didn't rise. Besides there's lots of lowlands on the Thames estuary which would let the water run round it and flood London that way.
When people talk about the rising sea levels they talk about London being lost to the floods so apparently the barrier was a waste of time anyways. My advice is if you live in London - Buy a boat.

[edit on 4/11/08 by DataWraith]

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Ok. I try it again with some text.

Maybe this site is interesting for you.

It's the official site : denkvooruit.nl...

Go to Vote.

Greetngs from Germany

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I dont think this is fear mongering.......unfortunately. The Dutch government are very liberal and probably one of the most effective european governments. I have friends in high places there, and they are cynical and aware of the state of the world and the potential for all kinds of disasters. A friend who was a government adviser did mention this 6 mnts ago actually. Something about knowing his government was preparing to help it's people in the event of a disaster, unlike the evidence that the US is preparing to incarcerate people in FEMA camps (not sure if this is true although it makes a terrifying story).

The big threat is....... wait for it.........PANDEMIC INFLUENZA. Yep. Has been on the cards for decades. Australia recently had a huge threat on International Childrens Day when the Pope visited. The agancy that follows flu strains found evidence of a potential strain that was mutating with all the foreign strains that came in for the celebrations. The biologists briefed the government and it was decided the threat was so serious that if it did break out nothing could be done anyway. The only possibility was to tell people to leave populated areas and it was decided that this would create panic.
So it didn't happen, but the point I make is people were aware and those with the knowledge couldn't really do much.

I can not provide sources but I can tell you I heard this from a reputable person very close to the source.

NDL wouldn't know when it MIGHT happen, but dutch cities have very high population densities (like many asian cities) and the safest thing to do if a strain breaks out is too keep everyone in doors and away from places where it may spread.

Apparently these preparations are standard for years but for many reasons countries that should be prepared are not. (like Australia)

This is not a conspiracy.

Best case scenario is the NDL gov is actually conditioning it's population to be prepared to be able to stay in doors for weeks, not days.
We will see similar things occur across the globe.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join