It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Holland is preparing for the worst..

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Holland is preparing for the worst..

www.nd.nl

DEN HAAG - Minister Ter Horst wil dat mensen zich beter voorbereiden op een ramp en een noodpakket in huis halen.

,,We zijn zo gewend aan elektriciteit en stromend water dat we niet beseffen voor welke problemen we staan als dat wegvalt. Als je de eerste 24 uur na een ramp voor jezelf moet zorgen, moet je het nodige in huis hebben'', aldus Ter Horst (Binnenlandse Zaken).

De bewindsvrouw heeft sinds haar aantreden steeds gewaarschuwd dat Nederlanders zich de eerste tijd na een grote ramp zelf moeten kunnen redden. Het ministerie heeft daarom een noodpakket laten samenstellen, verpakt in een soort roeiton. Daarin zitten bijvoorbeeld een SOS-vlag, opwindbare radio, zakmes en EHBO-doos. Kosten: 70 euro. Houdbaar voedsel en drinken moeten mensen zelf kopen. Ter Horsts ambtenaren krijgen naast het kerstpakket zo'n noodpakket.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Translation:

The Hague - minister Ter Horst want people to be better prepared for a disaster and get an "emergency kit"

"We are so used to electricity and running water that we do not realise what kid of problems we have if they run out. When you have take of yourself ,the first 24 hours ,after a disaster you really should everthing you need in the house." according to min Ter Horst.

She has repeatedly said that people should be prepared to take car of themselfs after a big disaster. She has put togetter an emergency kit containing first-aid-kit, pocket knife, SOS flags ,transsitor radio etc.
It's for sale for only 70,- euro. People need to take of food supplies and fresh water them selfs. Goverment officials receive this kit (for free) with there christmas bonus.

[edit on 3/11/2008 by operation mindcrime]

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 05:19 PM
link   
You probably know Holland (small country across the channel from England, you might know it as Amsterdam.lol).
Since last week i've noticed something strange. On the news radio a disproportionate amount of airtime is used to warn and tell people about obtaining an emergency pack (basic survival kid with trans. radio, batteries etc.) in case the power,gas and water supplies run out.

Today even our minister of internal affairs adressed the nation about the importance of such a kit. And a every other commercial break is about how you can get one of these.

On top of that our goverment is starting today with a 4-day simulation in case of a flood and how they should evacuate large number of people.
2500+ officials are involved from local law inforcement to the prime minister. The say it is because of hurrican Cathrina and what happend in America.

Funny thing is we have never (and i mean NEVER!!) had a hurrican, typhoon or any other big natural disaster happening here.

Has anybody noticed something similar in their country or am i just being a bit paranoid here...

(If you like i could enter some newspaper snippet's but there all in dutch so that's pretty useless)

www.nd.nl
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Damn... Interesting.

Take pride that your people are at least preparing yourselves for such things (whatever they may be), 'cos in Britain we're struggling to deal with a Government that doesn't give a damn about its people really....

Take care.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by operation mindcrime

Perhaps they are awear of something(s) you are not.

That is not ment to be sarcastic, perhaps they know something and are doing the best they can to prepare and protect their people???

Indeed, it is and has always been a good idea (an emergency kit).
That said, being done repeatly is odd.

If I were a bit more arrogant (can you imagine) I might say it is preparing for "fireworks" over in the states having a major effect on the rest of the world-or possibly so.

BTW, if I may be so bold as to add to your emergency kits things like :playing cards/games/small mp3 player with a few 2 gig sd ram full of music and several packs of batteries.

[edit on 11/3/2008 by mrmonsoon]

+2 more 
posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Pay attention to the signs.
Some governments are a bit less evil than others, and are having the decency of at least letting the population know something is up.

Not believing does not mean one should not prepare...

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I can remember the same fear mongering in the first cold war and later with the terrorism fear mongering.

all it is is fear mongering, and I am sick of it

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Nothing suspicious about it: just another campaign with some radio/television commercials. Heard it first yesterday en we (the Dutch) will hear them for some time. The Dutch get really pampered with good advise.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by mrmonsoon

Whaaaha

That's a good tip.... I'll pass it down to the people who came up with this idea.

But i guess it's typical for goverment to start planning for natural disasters in the middle of an economical disaster....sorry folks we couldn't help you with that whole stockmarket-taking-a-nose-dive thing but here's something you might find usefull...

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrmonsoon

BTW, if I may be so bold as to add to your emergency kits things like :playing cards/games/small mp3 player with a few 2 gig sd ram full of music and several packs of batteries.

Correction, several packs of rechargeable batteries and a solar powered charger.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Maybe it has something to do with flooding...

Monday 3rd November, 2008

Flood evacuations in England and Holland

A major flood alert has been issued for European countries bounded by the North Sea.

The coasts of the Netherlands and Britain are facing their worst flood threat for decades from a storm-driven tidal surge.

feeds.bignewsnetwork.com...

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 05:57 PM
link   

The Hague - minister Ter Horst want people to be better prepared for a disaster

So who's playing Holland in the next international? Sounds like the fans might trash the joint...

Barring that, one thing makes this particularly intriguing: the Dutch aren't exactly known for being excitable. Unless we really are talking football.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

huuuuu!?

thats the first ive heard, or can find about that!

is that like a real link? or simulation, as theirs no flood warnings on the met office site..

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Nice find Masqua..

I swear they keep telling everybody over here that's it's just an exercise and NOT based on facts.

Damn Bastards......proofs you can't trust the media

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I was there in '53 when the last major flood hit Holland. I was only a child, but things like that have a way of sticking in your mind.

Officially, 1,835 people were killed in the Netherlands, mostly in the south-western province of Zeeland. 307 were killed in the United Kingdom, in the counties of Lincolnshire, Norfolk, Suffolk and Essex. 28 were killed in West Flanders, Belgium.
en.wikipedia.org...

I think the government is smart to advise people of such a potential danger.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grey Magic
I can remember the same fear mongering in the first cold war and later with the terrorism fear mongering.

all it is is fear mongering, and I am sick of it

No not really, they are just anticipating the gas and electricity (possibly water) to be cut off at some point in the future (maybe even some flooding), possibly a side effect of the EU/UN/NATO pissing around with Russia? Here in the UK we have our own natural gas rigs and crude oil, all be it not enough to keep out economy afloat should Russia cut us off, but enough to keep the country going for a short while.

Not to mention our government would not be concered with our safety unless it was to profit them in any way (selling stupid lil kits is not profitable, especially when people will just goto the pound store and get everything in the kit individualy, for cut price lol).

Anyone interested in a survival kit in the UK, get down to a camping store and buy a tent, some sleeping sacks, small camping stove, get a big ass gas bottle (keep it outside the house if possible and out of direct sunlight, do not want it heating up and boom...). Then go buy some rice (white not brown, lasts longer), sugar, wheat, honey, mayple syrup, tinned foods (goto lidl or aldi, netto etc, they may seem cheap and crappy, but they are cheap being the main point, buy the tins in bulk).

As long as you do at least the above as a minimum, you should have enough food for a few months, for you and your family. Mind you in a crisis, looting, rioting etc, you could become a target for your food, make sure you do not buy everything at once, neighbours may remember you offloading all that food at home...

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 06:03 PM
link   
wow, you guys reply fast..

i saw this on my interweb travels just a sec ago (was going to edit it into the last post, but your all too fast)

www.express.co.uk...

BRITAIN is set to be battered by severe storms and plunged into Arctic weather conditions this month.

Temperatures are expected to plummet as autumn quickly turns to winter after freak snow and hail storms hit the South of England last week.

The mercury could drop to -5C in some areas as Britain is buffeted by November winds of up to 90 miles per hour.

Experts warn that two “once in 20 years” mega-storms could strike.

looks like its pretty real ! eek, and brrrrr, i need to find my gloves.

got till mid / end of the month though so no rush

[edit on 3-11-2008 by boaby_phet]

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua
I was there in '53 when the last major flood hit Holland. I was only a child, but things like that have a way of sticking in your mind.

Officially, 1,835 people were killed in the Netherlands, mostly in the south-western province of Zeeland. 307 were killed in the United Kingdom, in the counties of Lincolnshire, Norfolk, Suffolk and Essex. 28 were killed in West Flanders, Belgium.
en.wikipedia.org...

I think the government is smart to advise people of such a potential danger.

I couldn't agree more Masqua.........but why the H*ll would they be doing this now?? I mean , after almost 60 years they start to think this might be usefull. I know goverment is slow but that slow??

[edit on 3/11/2008 by operation mindcrime]

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I've been googling like a madman trying to find collaborating evidence to the one item I did find.

NADA

There sure should be something else online, but I can't seem to find anything but the '07 alerts.

[edit on 3/11/08 by masqua]

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by boaby_phet

Spoke too soon. Looks like you've got something that could spark an alert.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by operation mindcrime
but why the H*ll would they be doing this now?? I mean , after almost 60 years they start to think this might be usefull. I know goverment is slow but that slow??

The Dutch have not wasted any time in making an attempt at stopping another '53 incident from happening. Their modern flood control systems are the envy of the world.

Here's some info links:

www.geerts.com...

www.newscientist.com...

The problem, however, is rising sea levels coupled with intensifying storms. But, I don't want to raise any hackles with the anti-climate change folks, so I'll leave it at that.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join