It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can Anyone Spot the Spook in This?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 04:57 PM
link   

IMO this affliction of feeling socially privileged is one of the many causes that blights us all. I want this person and the people that think like this, to look in the mirror, and ask themselves.

Am I different from the person that believes God does not exist?

What gives me the right to think that I am better?

How am I accountable?

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Whoever wrote this ~Alice Shannon Soldotna~ must truly be ignorant. Religion and God (Christian or any other God) do not go hand in hand. Religion does not mean God. Religion is not limited to Catholic or Methodist. Atheists have absolutely nothing to do with crime, and they don't practice evil, because they don't practice anything. They're ATHEISTS.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Just because the US is a place to express freedom of religion does not mean you have to believe in GOD. It gives you the right to believe in want you want too and speak freely about it. No I do not believe atheist should leave the US. I do not agree with a lot of things but do not wish to have the people shipped out of the US. You do not have to believe in GOD to live in the US. If she had done her homework she would of found out the Thomas Jefferson was an atheist. LOL A founding father *gasp* did not believe in GOD.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Normally this is the kind of subject I stay out of. But this one has just pushed all the wrong buttons with me. How DARE this person claim that they're better because of their belief in a god. Funny, I seem to remember that the only reason there even IS a United States to live in is because people wanted to escape religious persecution. Do Atheists not get the same rights? Just because they don't believe in some "all powerful being" sitting around watching us like lab rats, they don't get the same basic freedoms and rights?

I'm utterly disgusted by this person, and others like her. Just because they believe in some mythical god they're better than everyone else. Yes I said mythical. There is just as much evidence that Zeus and the Olympian gods existed as there is for the biblical God. Who are these people to shove their god down our throats. Freedom of religion does NOT mean the freedom to force everyone to believe the same thing, or you get thrown out of the country.

Religion is responsible for more deaths in this world than any other two reasons combined, but yet people are PROUD to proclaim their beliefs, and denigrate anyone who feels differently. Religion is a PERSONAL thing, and nobody else's business but that persons. If I'm an atheist that's my god given right (don't you just love the irony there?) and NO ONE can tell me that I have to leave this country because I believe differently. Show me ONE PLACE that it says that Freedom of Religion means that you HAVE to believe something.

I especially love the part blaming atheists for the crime in this country. If most of the people in this country believe in God and want the Atheists to leave, but there's a huge crime problem, what does that say about the religious people out there? If Atheists are so outnumbered but there's SO MUCH crime going on, then that means that the religious have to have something to do with it too.

The ultrareligious people in this country are no better than the extremists in the Middle East that blow themselves up and kill people when it comes to tolerance. They sit there and preach how forgiving their God is until it comes time to accept someone that believes differently than them. And then it's all about getting in their face and screaming at them how they're going to burn in hell because they believe differently.

To hell with me and Atheists leaving this country, let's get rid of the fundamentalist religious people of ALL religions, and let's make this TRULY a tolerant country of all religions, or lack thereof.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by eye open doors

What is a spook?

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   
I believe in GOD, and I also believe GOD doesn't exist. What does that make me?

I really think its just a definition discrepancy, I dont think there is anyone who would say, that the universe, does not have some sort of source. Call it God, call it by scientific terms, it is what it is, ineffable, incomprehensible, yet completely available to experience.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 10:03 PM
link   
I had to laugh at this. So you think this person is a spook (a secret government agent)?

I wonder if this person accepts anyone's right to believe in traditional Satanism? After all, Satan is a deity.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Excellent replies here. I immediately knew that this would drum up some energy, and perhaps create an opening for some folks to see such within.

The question was asked... what is a Spook, or questioned if I believed this individual to be an agent.

here is your answer:

Spook: Ideas to which individuals sacrifice themselves and by which they are dominated.

It is a term created by the Philosopher Max Stirner.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 07:54 AM
link   
A better plan would be to make an extradition treaty with Iran, where we would send people over to their religious court for being an atheist. Lets say someone is on the Larry King show and says there is no God. Then that show is run on Iranian TV. The Mullahs could decide it was against their law against corrupting the culture. That person who was foolish enough to make that public claim could be arrested and sent over to Iran.
Years ago, Micheal Jackson was indicted in some Asian country for corrupting the culture. Madonna could get be included. I guess she is vulnerable in the UK. There is a case where several years ago a blogger in Australia questioned the official number of Jews killed in the Holocaust. Recently, a plane he was on stopped to refuel in England. He was taken off the plane and arrested, pending extradition to Germany for breaking their law against denying the Holocaust. He will probably get six years in prison.
Of course I would not be in favor of anything like this. It would probably take a few appointments to the Supreme Court by Obama to get something like that to hold up in court.

[edit on 4-11-2008 by jmdewey60]

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by jmdewey60

We could just be "Christ like" and love our enemies. Of course, many literallist Christians conditioned to deny the within; Will be so blind as to overlook their spooks. Not realizing that the enemy can be also be the self.

I could react in a manner, as it appears you would like, that would suggest all the Christians move to their holy land. However, even though I am not Christian, I do seek to be "Christ like".

It would be grand though, to see the three "Abrahamic" thought viruses, er I mean organized religions ceasing their spiritual pissing matches, and making peace with one another. Oh well, one can dream.

Man know thyself

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 03:11 PM
link   

However, even though I am not Christian, I do seek to be "Christ like".
I think that was the point that Jesus was trying to make. Being theologians was specifically pointed out as something not to be, by Jesus.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by jmdewey60

You think, but do you know?

So common, my friend...

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 04:41 PM
link   

You think, but do you know?
So common, my friend...

Pilot said, "What is truth?" It does you no good to worry about that. Believing has to take precedence over knowing when it comes to things that can not be proven.

[edit on 4-11-2008 by jmdewey60]

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I question the editors motives in publishing such bigoted nonsense in the first place.

fixed typo

[edit on 4-11-2008 by riley]

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by riley

This does raise some questions for me, and I thank you for bringing it up.

Does the editor support this bigotry?

Is the editor exposing the bigotry?

Is the editor bringing to light the common, yet frequently ignored harmful undercurrent of ideas? That which can form in the minds of those that choose belief over knowing.

Is the editor's motives important, or is it a distraction from the root of it all?

I await the organ grinder generated conditional response of biblical names followed by numbers separated by a symbol that looks like this :

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 09:51 AM
link   
The OP was actually the first I have come across on ATS that has actually infuriated me!!!

How can someone applaud freedom of speech and freedom of belief whilst at the same time condeming athism?

I am an atheist! and not a criminal nor practice evil. I do not need other people or 'religions' to tell me what I should believe in!

"just because I 'believe' that I am right, doesnt mean that I am!

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 01:04 PM
link   

The attitude displayed by the writer of the article in the OP has a name: bigotry, plain and simple - as you have already stated. It raises its ugly head among people of all faiths and of no faith. It does not characterize true disciple of Christ, which, in a round about way, I believe you have acknowledged.

We could just be "Christ like" and love our enemies... even though I am not Christian, I do seek to be "Christ like"...

I do understand where you're coming from, and I respect your recognition of the importance of a caring attitude towards fellow human beings. I do, however, feel the need to point out that genuine Christ-likeness is only possible when an individual heeds what Christ said was the first and foremost commandment: to love the Lord your God with all your heart, mind, soul and strength.

Christ practised what he preached, and this love for His Father in Heaven, the God who spoke through the biblical prophets, was the defining characteristic of his life, which in turn gave us a perfect reflection of the nature of the invisible God himself. To be anything like Christ by definition involves learning to love God as a result of coming to know the love that he has shown for us. Only then can we learn to love others in a manner that in any measure reflects Christlikeness.

All the best.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by pause4thought

Thank you for excellent reply. This gives me hope, and was exactly what I was looking for.

new topics

top topics

join