It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fear Addiction Destroys are Bodies and Minds.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Are we somehow caught up in an addictive behavior and we don't even know it?

This article really struck a nerve with me and I think most people here on ATS need to read and then look inward, myself included.

If anyone knows more about this addiction or has other links or info, please add to the thread.

Here is what the article said:

Fear Addicts

A HOLDOVER FROM THE ANIMAL KINGDOM

This is all a holdover from the animal kingdom, in which these stress reactions generally involve a life-or-death struggle where your body may have been wounded. The opiate response kicks in AFTER the fight or flight response, once you've gotten away from the immediate threat. Its purpose is to get you doped out so you will stop moving around, giving your body some down-time so it can heal the damage that was caused in the fight or flight reflex.

So many people get stuck in this loop… having panic attacks, blasts of anxiety and fear, or outrage at "the government," et cetera. Then, once they've been through this, their brain kicks out a reward — which is literally identical to doing drugs, only it's generally not as intense or long-lasting of a chemical high.

As we're about to see, this thoughtform about "the end of the world" is a self-damaging addiction in its own right. The belief in an imminent Armageddon can be beneficial in that it gets people to focus more in the present, and enjoy the finer things in life they usually take for granted, but utlimately it is a very real form of addictive behavior. The people who become 'high priests' of this teaching end up spreading the addiction to many others.

[edit on 3-11-2008 by Realtruth]

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Yep, focusing on NOW sure helps alot. I'll enjoy this sip of soda, we can worry about cleaning up the trash in the ocean later...

It's a mess, this "condition" nearly everyone has. So, I guess it is rooted in live/not live paradigm. And there is so much crap information fed to us and everyone around us, it's like something is controlling this melange of tripe.

Sounds like a beastly monster.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I myself am addicted to fear a little... one of the only joy in life is trying to find something ANYTHING that will scare me i dont find many things at all whihc is quite dissapointing but still.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Grim Shroud

I did write (and delete) another post, so please excuse the coarseness of this replacement

It's my suspicion that a lot of people are addicted to BS

and prefer it --- and prefer discussing it --- rather than getting on with their real lives

top topics

join