It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What does my Sarah Palin costume say about the state of Canadian education?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 11:01 AM
link   
This past Hallowe'en, I dressed up at work as Sarah Palin. Many people I encountered during the day burst out laughing upon seeing me, with comments like "well done". Many people though, had no idea that I was even in costume. Questions ranged from "Are you an American (I'm in Canada & had a McCain Palin pin on as part of the costume) or are you just really hoping that they win?" to " Doesn't your boss mind you wearing a political pin here at work ?". At the end of the day, a co-worker (whose husband is a professor of media studies) and I could not believe the amount of Canadians who had no idea who Sarah Palin is.
The real kicker came though, that evening when a friend of mine and his wife brought their little one to our house trick or treating. His wife is an elementary school teacher, as are his 2 sisters, and his father is a retired biology teacher. He also knows that I NEVER dress or do my hair like that, yet my husband had to point out that I was dressed up as Sarah Palin. He and his wife then both asked "who is Sarah Palin?"
Discussing it afterward with my husband and co-worker, we were completely shocked that even Canadian teachers have no idea what is going on in the world. I have long believed that the Canadian education system has been dumbed down along the same lines as many believe the American schools have been. I now realize, more than ever, that it is up to me and my husband to make sure that our children get educated in the things that really matter in this world. The same things have been going on here in Canada as in the U.S., we have just been living under a false sense of security spoon fed to us by our government, and we lap it up like good laid-back Canadians should.

This is only my second post, hope I did it right , but all comments and questions will be appreciated.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I know me and a few of my friends would have had a laugh since we have been following the election, but you are right most Canadians wouldn't know. I think it is simply because they just don't care enough. They want to do their thing and just ignore whatever it is the States is doing.

I have met alot of fellow Canadians that honestly just don't care about the US. You can ask them something about US politics or foreign policy and they will reply with "Why should I care, I am not American. If it weren't for American TV shows I would forget they existed". So ignorance about our neighbours is not just an American thing.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   
The reverse is true here in the States. We honestly don't hear too much about you guys ( and thus most of us tend not to know much about you).

We ocassionally hear when someone makes some anti-us remarks. But, even that usually dies down in a day or so.

I'm really trying to think now - last bit I can remember hearing or reading about Canada... and I realize I'm sounding dumb. I think it was an article that in Canada the big cities lean left and the rural areas are more right leaning. Which is kind of like the US honestly.

I think both our countries may be kind of at fault on not getting to know our neighbor well enough.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rook1545 So ignorance about our neighbours is not just an American thing.

Absolutely. The ironic part is that many Canadians gleefully make fun of Americans for not knowing the name or title of our Prime Minister, to the point that it is satirized in beer commercials, yet these same Canadians are ignorant of issues in the United States that have world wide ramifications. Reminds me of the saying "those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones."

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by pillarofsalt

Originally posted by Rook1545 So ignorance about our neighbours is not just an American thing.

Absolutely. The ironic part is that many Canadians gleefully make fun of Americans for not knowing the name or title of our Prime Minister, to the point that it is satirized in beer commercials, yet these same Canadians are ignorant of issues in the United States that have world wide ramifications. Reminds me of the saying "those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones."

...or poutine, as the case may be... ;-)

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   
The lack of knowledge about Sarah Palin by Canadians is not surprising, nor is is it overly 'ignorant'. Before August 29, 2008, a majority of Americans had no idea who she was.

In fact, some could say that Americans still do not know who Sarah Palin actually is. All we know about Sarah Palin is what we have been told, which in only two months time is not very substantiative. It is a compelling narrative that has been painted for her, but anyone who looks deeper finds many holes, poor judgement and gaffes.

Medical Records before the Election? She is running out of time...

Kudos to the OP for being an 'aware' Canadian, but don't shame your fellow citizens for not registering who you were for Halloween.

Perhaps the ridicule of losing on Nov. 4th will make Sarah Palin vanish from the public eye almost as fast as she appeared...

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by pillarofsalt

I do find it quite disturbing that some people on both sides of the border take pride in not knowing what is going on on the other side of the border, let alone the rest of the world. Not saying that is everyone, because alot of people just don't watch the news for fear of getting overly depressed. I have met people though that take active joy in letting people know that the other side fo the border is just no worthy of their time.

[edit on 3-11-2008 by Rook1545]

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frogs

I think both our countries may be kind of at fault on not getting to know our neighbor well enough.

You're right. The only way to remedy that is by learning about each other ourselves. We certainly cannot rely on our educational systems or media to inform us of important issues concerning us and our relationship. It would be interesting to know how many Canadians and Americans know that under the North American Free Trade Act, Canada is obliged to provide the US with water and electricity if they experience shortages. (I'm no expert in this area, and still trying to figure out how to post links, but the info is out there). It would also be interesting to know how many of us in both countries know that recently, under the Harper government, an agreement was signed with the US government stating that in the event that martial law is declared in the USA, Canada is obliged to send military to the United States to help. I think many Canadians would be shocked into awareness if that happened. If Canadians don't even know who Sarah Palin is, how surprised would they be if something awful happened in the US and martial law was declared, as so many in other forums here on ATS believe may happen? Can you imagine their surprise then, when Mr. Harper goes on TV, and says " oh ya, by the way, I promised George Bush that we would send our troops to help, and they'll be taking orders from the US military" ?
Teach your children well folks. It's not too late for us too learn a few things too

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I don't know who cares. Maybe we would care and be interested if politics gave care and interest back to us.

It's a shame, my Canadian friends and families know how it's a good ol boys club and they look out after their own kind.

Why not educate yourself and eachother on the technological patents that are bought and suppressed by powerful corporate conglomerates. Whom are supported by corrupt congress, senators, judiciaries and lobbyists, etc etc etc.

F- this system...... aggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   
What exactly does this have to do with Canada"s educational sytem, if my chidren came home and told me they were learning about American politics and Sara Palin I would be pissed and would be voicing my opion to the principal and my local trustee, as far as a teacher that is there decison, in Canada we have access to all the major American stations ABC,NBC,CNN,FOX and our own CTV,CBC to get any information you wanted on the election and it's celebraties, I believe this a personal choice and nothing to do with our educational sytem.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   
[

...or poutine, as the case may be... ;-)

Could make for a very messy house of cards ;-)

Rook1545, it is disturbing how people are proud that they know nothing. I guess I am partly to blame, because I've insulated myself and surrounded myself with like minded people. I just assumed that everyone had the interest that I have. If anything, this experience makes me want to voice my thoughts and opinions to those outside my "insulated social circle". It also makes me more determined to make sure that my children are exposed to more than is being fed to them in school.
I have to go start dinner, but I'll leave you with this quote to ponder.

"The new media won't fit into the classroom. It already surrounds it. Perhaps that is the challenge of the counterculture. The problem is to know what questions to ask." Eric McLuhan, son of media theorist Marshall McLuhan

thanks for the replies

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by QuadroClip
What exactly does this have to do with Canada"s educational sytem,

As I said in my original post, I was shocked that a Canadian teacher had no idea who sarah palin is, and given the magnitude of the North American Free trade agreement and our obligations to the US, I would have thought that teachers would have been "in the know". I also expressed that I have realized that it is up to us to educate our children about things that have world wide consequences, and hopefully, educate ourselves as well. Also, I would prefer that my children don't watch MSM such as CNN, FOX etc. Cheers

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I would honestly rather they knew who Belinda Stronach or Rona Ambrose are. How about Leona Aglukkaq.

We as Canadians should take care of our own political apathy before addressing how much knowledge we have regarding the states. Not that the America has no impact on us, just that it is a lot less than the impact our own government has on our everyday lives.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by WuTang

I hear what you're saying WuTang, however, while many Canadian citizens and teachers may know who Belinda Stronach is, do they know that in addition to being the CEO of her father's auto parts company, she is a close, personal friend of the Clintons? Or that she was sleeping with our deputy Prime Minister Peter MacKay? Or that she crossed the floor to the Liberals after they broke up? Makes me wonder why Hilary Clinton suggested during the Ohio primary (Ohio being known for its auto industry) that NAFTA agreements with Canada be revamped.
I have trouble believing that if people, especially teachers, have no clue who Sarah Palin even is, that they would have a basic understanding of people like Belinda Stronach.
Our government and its policies are affected by everything that happens in the United States, but like I said in my original post, we are being spoon fed the same tripe as the Americans, and no one realizes what is going on.

I guess I just find it very sad and disheartening.

new topics

top topics

join