It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rape victim, 13, stoned to death in Somalia

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I'm a ferm beliver that not all people are equil. In some parts of the world people are less civilized and more primitive. Some poeple are just a few more generations from swinging in the trees then other.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by C.C.Benjamin
Perhaps it was the most humane thing to do. Perhaps the head warlord looked at her and thought "this is only the start, she's going to have to endure this her whole life because she's trapped in this hell-hole" and decided the only decent thing to do was this.

Not that I think it was right. I just like to think people have other's best interests at heart.

So instead of a painless, quick death, they took her into a stadium, allowed over 1,000 people to watch and subjected her to one the most painful ways possible to die? No. I don't buy that explanation at all.

People in this country ask "What wrong with being a Muslim?" Cases like these are what's wrong with being a Muslim. Now granted, I believe the Muslim Militia that executed the girl was an extremist group, but this doesn't assuage people's fear of the Muslim community when read of crap like this happening.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by karl 12

Originally posted by angel of light
Why does something like this surprise anyone?

That's islam for you. A false religion if there ever was one.

Well to be fair it also instructs true beleivers in the Old Testament to stone adulterous women to death (not to mention killing sabbath workers,unruly teenagers,homosexuals,slaves and non beleivers).

Maybe it is all the abrahamic sects that are at fault.

A lot has changed from the Old Testament. God used to talk directly to man. That no longer happens.

Ask any Christian church nowadays whether they follow the teachings of the New Testament or the Old Testament.

In the Gospel (first four books of the New Testament) Christ lays out the laws of God, all based on the Ten Commandments with important changes and explanations. We follow the New Testament. Any Christian that says otherwise isn't practicing 'Christianity'.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   
As far as I am aware, the Koran does NOT say anything about stoning anyone to death, and only in some cases does it advocate the death penalty for murder.

It says that "god" will punish, but prefers forgiveness.

The problem, as ever, is about "learned" men who interpret what the book says for their own ends - pretty much in the same way that happened in christianity before people were able to read the bible for themselves, and then afterwards when they relied on priests to interpret for them what "god" meant.

In reality, interpretations of holy books are a reflection of the intent of the person interpreting what a supposed higher being meant by the words which were written and as such will always be open to abuse.

We should also remember that muslims pray to the same god that christians do, and venerate jesus and the virgin mary as well as all the old testament prophets - the major difference is that they believe that Mohammed was the last prophet of god, and that jesus was a prophet.

Jewish people believe that jesus was a prophet but not the son of god.

We're all singing from the same basic sheet here - it's how man has twisted the message that's the major problem.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by C.C.Benjamin

So they do a long horribly painful death like stoning?
If they wanted humane, it would of been a shot to the head.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

The following excerpt from the original article tells me this has nothing to do with religion, honor, or pleasing 'Allah:'

None of the men Duhulow accused was arrested.

Sorry but if they were truly concerned with the religious causes of this, the three men would have been killed as well. But this obviously was not the case if they were not even arrested. This whole story makes me sad and sick. Come to your own conclusions. It was not religiously motivated- it was done by sickos who probably got off on it.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Saf85
Perhaps these ignorant fools should learn their religion rather than do as they please and claim it is from Islam!

Firstly, if a woman has a child out of wedlock from fornication, then she can be stoned to death for her crime, but only when the child is old enough to live without the need of the mother (around 2 years or so), she will raise her child untill that time.

If a married woman (or man) has an affair, the punishment for such a crime in Islam is death.

When you allow a thing to happen, you are as guilty as those doing the act. There is where the problem truly is. How many Muslim leaders are speaking out about this and fighting to stop it?

What you don't seem to get is that stoning anyone to death for having sex is barbaric and evil. Only an evil society could condone such an act.

Your post is a great example of why our cultures will never mix. You think it is OK to kill someone for having sex outside of marriage and we do not. To us it is something that only an animalistic society would do. A society without empathy, compassion or love. A society controlled by animals.

I should stop insulting the animals as even they don't exhibit this behavior. Murdering someone for revenge is what this is. Animals only kill to survive.

The real problem is that because of our desire for oil, we have brought a culture hundreds of years behind us into our circle. They do not even understand how wrong what they are doing is. They have our money and technology but not the centuries of social evolution that went along with obtaining it. Its akin to bringing home a wild animal and expecting it to behave like the family dog. The centuries of evolution in between make compatibility impossible.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by budski

Rape victim, 13, stoned to death in Somalia

www.guardian.co.uk

An Islamist rebel administration in Somalia had a 13-year-old girl stoned to death for adultery after the child's father reported that three men had raped her.

Amnesty International said the al-Shabab militia, which controls the southern port city of Kismayo, arranged for a group of 50 men to stone Aisha Ibrahim Duhulow in front of a crowd of about 1,000 spectators. A lorryload of stones was brought to the stadium for the killing.

Amnesty said that Duhulow struggled with her captors and had to be forcibly carried into the stadium.

"At one point during the stoning, Amnesty International has been told by numerous eyewitnesses that nurses were instructed to check whether Aisha Ibrahim Duhulow was still alive when buried in the ground. They removed her from the ground, declared that she was, and she was replaced in the hole where she had been buried for the stoning to continue," the human rights group said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

oh wow.. that is terrifying. Its stories like these that make me happy i live in america.. even though there are many things about this country that could be changed.. other places do some really horriffic things

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by budski
and now we have the UK PM going cap in hand to them for more money to be donated to the IMF.

I'd just like to point out Gordon Brown is NOT our PM. - Technically, yes... But officially, no. He took the spot of Tony Blair who stepped down; an official Election has yet to be held.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

She´s not the first and will not be the last.
Here is (yet) another account of a 23 year old Somalian girl being found guilty by a ´shariah´ court and being brutally stoned to death:
www.bloomberg.com...

Oct. 28 (Bloomberg) -- A 23-year-old Somali woman was stoned to death in Kismayo after being convicted of adultery in a Shariah court established by Islamists who control the southern port city, an eyewitness said.

Aisha Ibrahim Duhulow was buried in the ground up to her neck and her head covered with a black sack before she was executed yesterday, Yusuf Abdi Mohamed, a resident who attended the public event, said in a phone interview today from Kismayo, 500 kilometers (310 miles) southwest of the capital, Mogadishu.

[edit on 02/10/08 by karl 12]

I think that you are talking about the same incident. The names of the victims are identical.

Not that it makes it any less revolting.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
I think that you are talking about the same incident. The names of the victims are identical.

That is very possible. In the article, it said the first reports stated she was 23 years old due to her looks but the truth later came out she was only 13. So it could very possibly be the same person. Like you said, still revolting.

Edit to add the excerpt from the original article:

Amnesty said witnesses originally reported that Duhulow was 23-years-old, based on her appearance. But the human rights group found out from her father that she was a child.

[edit on 11/3/2008 by AshleyD]

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD
It was not religiously motivated- it was done by sickos who probably got off on it.

But the crowd who stoned her consisted of a thousand people! This isnt an isolated incident of a couple of sickos using a religion to their own perverted end, this is a case of an entire population entrenched in these views.

Thats what makes it so dangerous.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 06:49 AM
link   
These were not Islamic Arabs, they were "Islamic" black militia members.

To those that think we should just "send troops to take over and make everything okay" you have no clue what goes on over there.

Riding on the back of a pickup truck into Liboi camp just east of Dagahaley (Somalia), regional camp coordinator Gail Neudorf of Vancouver, B.C., pointed to a group of men standing and talking.
"Look at those men. Do you see anybody malnourished? No," she said.
"That's because the men eat first, the women eat next, then the children eat -- if there's anything left after the animals eat. That's what really hurts: The animals eat before the children. "It makes sense for survival in the nomadic culture. But not now."

www.etext.org...

The truth is the ugliness in some of those countries is so horrific it will never make the news media because it will not generate sympathy or donations from the west. Or maybe we should just send some troops over there and explain to them that it isn't nice to eat your fill first while you watch your babies starve? In a culture where watching babies starve while adults eat first is NORMAL killing a female for entertainment is not so odd(next time you see starving babies on tv look at the parents, most of the time the parents are NOT starving).

[edit on 4-11-2008 by Sonya610]

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Filthy backward savages (same goes for the Saudi system btw, whoever referenced it earlier)

Who knows what "true" Islam is, why the need for constant bed wetting and comparisons with Christianity, no same comparison in the 21st century rings true

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by 44soulslayer

Oh don't get me wrong- I'm the last person you'll ever see defending radical Islam. I'm just saying had it really been for honor, Allah, or Islam, then why weren't the men stoned? It looks like just a way to abuse/hurt the girl. They didn't consider it rape (which it clearly was). They considered it adultery. But the men weren't even arrested? The whole thing makes me sick. And due to the fact some people in the crowd protested and tried to save the victim (and were shot at for it), makes me think even they knew what was happening was wrong. The whole thing is tragic.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 09:48 AM
link   
The truth is here that religion is not the cause of the problem. It may be seen as a symptom of the problem, in the sense that an extremely violent interpretation of Islam has been used as a justification by the perpetrators. But the reality is this is a social problem perpetuated not by religios fanatics but corrupt, violent, bloodthirsty maniacs who just happen to have read the Koran.

A timely reminder to those of you across the pond celebrating your liberty and freedom today....

LW

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by LoneWeasel
The truth is here that religion is not the cause of the problem. It may be seen as a symptom of the problem, in the sense that an extremely violent interpretation of Islam has been used as a justification by the perpetrators. But the reality is this is a social problem perpetuated not by religios fanatics but corrupt, violent, bloodthirsty maniacs who just happen to have read the Koran.

A timely reminder to those of you across the pond celebrating your liberty and freedom today....

LW

The followers of Islam seem to have this sort of problem much more frequently than others in the 20th and 21st centuries........

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 09:51 AM
link   
These stories are sick. Killing the victim over shame is sickness of the mind.

Forget culture, or religion this is pure evil.

Islamic nations need to drop their dominance and male egos and see themselves in the real light they are born into. They cannot sadly and do this sort of thing.

Reminiscent of a backwoods education and lends itself to ritual murder. i wish Islam would find logic, reason and rational thought. I wish christians and other cults would to. Then we as humasn could realise we dont need them, were all the same.

oh no ..did i say that..sorry to break you from your chosen ranks. im chosen too, take that.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by blueorder

The followers of Islam seem to have this sort of problem much more frequently than others in the 20th and 21st centuries........

But the extension of your point is that if Islam did not exist Somalia would not be as it is. The logical extension of all "religion is the inspiration for evil" ideas is that were religion removed from the face of the earth, people would stop killing one another, some countries would not be poorer than others, and all crimes against humanity would cease. Which is nonsense. It's not religion that's killing people, it's PEOPLE that are killing people. Religion's an excuse, and as long as we blame this frankly abstract term for all the worlds ills, we are failing to do anything about the real problems that cause suffering.

LW

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 11:24 AM
link   

reply to post by budski

She´s not the first and will not be the last.
Here is (yet) another account of a 23 year old Somalian girl being found guilty by a ´shariah´ court and being brutally stoned to death:
www.bloomberg.com...

Oct. 28 (Bloomberg) -- A 23-year-old Somali woman was stoned to death in Kismayo after being convicted of adultery in a Shariah court established by Islamists who control the southern port city, an eyewitness said.

Aisha Ibrahim Duhulow was buried in the ground up to her neck and her head covered with a black sack before she was executed yesterday, Yusuf Abdi Mohamed, a resident who attended the public event, said in a phone interview today from Kismayo, 500 kilometers (310 miles) southwest of the capital, Mogadishu.

[edit on 02/10/08 by karl 12]

Sharia law in Britain, I don't think so not from reading all that...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join