It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China Is Becoming The Biggest Producer of Pharmaceutical Ingredients

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 09:31 AM
link   

China Is Becoming The Biggest Producer of Pharmaceutical Ingredients

cryptogon.com

Concerns about Chinese drugs have become so intense that just three weeks ago, the Health and Human Services secretary, Michael O. Leavitt, announced that the F.D.A. would open an office in Beijing by the end of the year and offices in Shanghai and Guangzhou next year. The agency still plans to send inspectors to China from the U.S., but the offices will provide “an infrastructure that will make those people more effective,” Leavitt said at the time of the announcement.

China’s leap to one of the biggest suppliers of pharmaceutical ingredients in the world happened over the last decade, as the Chinese government subsidized the construction of manufacturing plants that have undercut prices everywhere. Generic drug makers in the United States, where price competition is fierce, were the first to seek cheaper drug ingredients in China.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 09:31 AM
link   
To say this is something to be concerned about is the understatement of the year IMO.

China isn't exactly known for it's safety and sterility practices, as we have seen with food products and even toys in recent times.

Now these ingredients are being implemented wide scale into pharmaceutical prescription drugs, and it is quite difficult to regulate their safety standards.

Don't be surprised to see major problems and casualties arise from this in the future...

cryptogon.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Yeah but when it comes to APIs and drugs, there is no messing around by the regulators.

China may be able to export eggs with melamine and toys with lead paint, but they will never, ever get FDA clearance without their products being safe.

Also, healthcare companies in the US/ EU will not risk ever buying APIs from China if even a single batch is shown to be tainted... after all, they cant risk being sued.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I'm strongly opposed to this happening. Have we totally lost our minds. Turn over our pharmaceutical production to a country that lacks the moral checks and balances that most have in America.

The majority in China don't believe in a God who will judge them for the wrongs they do. And you can see the results of that lack of moral ground in the recent scandal of tainted milk that killed and permanently damaged or sickened 50,000 babies.

They are NOT trustworthy!!! Any of our leaders who are for this are a subversive element trying to bring America to its knees.

Another sign of how weak we as a nation have become.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by TH3ON3

`moral checks and balances` - this is the same america that apporves of torture and allows its own male soldiers to rape there way accross iraq qithout fear of recourse? this include american female soldiers of course.

no , moraility and the `american way` have died along time ago.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 09:49 AM
link   
It doesn't matter about FDA regulations or any other medical regulations in other countries , as people will buy cheaply off internet suppliers, And I hope that the Chinese Government will keep an eye on this instead of trying to cater to mass demand by bulking out pharmaceuticals with dodgy added chemicals.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Harlequin
reply to post by TH3ON3

`moral checks and balances` - this is the same america that apporves of torture and allows its own male soldiers to rape there way accross iraq qithout fear of recourse? this include american female soldiers of course.

no , moraility and the `american way` have died along time ago.

I think you are wrong. There is still a large "core" in America that believes in doing what is right. I know at times it seems like that because that is usually only the things that make the news.

That is the nature of being founded on principle...only those things that are shocking usually make the news.

Contrast that with China, whos government controls the news media and would cover up smaller scandals if possible.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by 44soulslayer
Yeah but when it comes to APIs and drugs, there is no messing around by the regulators.

China may be able to export eggs with melamine and toys with lead paint, but they will never, ever get FDA clearance without their products being safe.

You're kidding right? I can't tell if you were being sarcastic or not...?

Chinese Heparin

NY Times

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by TH3ON3

The majority in China don't believe in a God who will judge them for the wrongs they do.

Err neither do I, but I don't need a god or a book to tell me not to kill, respect other's life (animals or humans) and so on...
Imo the big problem here is all the companies that are only concerned by profits...everything's ok as long as they're not sued...after all we had a lot off deaths in our western countries due to drugs not being fully tested.

Marmelade

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Also, healthcare companies in the US/ EU will not risk ever buying APIs from China if even a single batch is shown to be tainted... after all, they cant risk being sued.

I suspect you are being too naive about the FDA. It is a government agency manned by Pharmaceutical Company shills and political 'appointees'. These people are their to provide corporate cooperation, not to protect Americans (or anyone else for that matter.)

What the FDA does or doesn't approve has little to do with anything other than BIG money.

[edit on 3-11-2008 by Maxmars]

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 09:56 AM
link   

I'm strongly opposed to this happening. Have we totally lost our minds. Turn over our pharmaceutical production to a country that lacks the moral checks and balances that most have in America.

The majority in China don't believe in a God who will judge them for the wrongs they do. And you can see the results of that lack of moral ground in the recent scandal of tainted milk that killed and permanently damaged or sickened 50,000 babies.

They are NOT trustworthy!!! Any of our leaders who are for this are a subversive element trying to bring America to its knees.

Another sign of how weak we as a nation have become.

Don't start with that moral highground bull. As was said by another in the thread, what morality? Big deal, the majority of Chinese are Athiests....the "majority" of Americans are "Christians"...it certainly has done nothing to stop the murder, theft, rape, aggression, greed, and corruption that run rampant through our society...

As for them not being trustworthy...its not the Chinese who are not trustworthy...it is the companies that CHOOSE to operate in China because they can increase their PROFIT MARGINS there because the markets have been DEREGULATED by the same right-wing "Free-Market" capitalist who are allied with those "moral" Christian Americans.

Americans needs to stop pointing the finger at everyone else in the world and start looking in the mirror...then maybe they/we will realize that we're a part of that same world, rather than an exception to it.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Marmelade

The majority in China don't believe in a God who will judge them for the wrongs they do.

...after all we had a lot off deaths in our western countries due to drugs not being fully tested.

Marmelade

Yes...greed with a lack of morality = death

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by madhatr137

Don't start with that moral highground bull.

Of course we have many in America who are the same. But we do have at least a core who do hold life and the well being of others more important than the prospect of huge profits.

And I can say anything I believe in this free country called America.

[edit on 3-11-2008 by TH3ON3]

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I wish I could believe that the FDA will keep up safe from this potential disaster.

FDA claims to be overburdened, understaffed and underfunded right now. How can they tackle the lack of Chinese manufacturing standards as well.

We just need to accept that Melamine is good for us. Just shut up and take your pill.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Wow. I really recommend everyone read the whole article – this is terrifying stuff.

Here's the link at the NYTimes where it was first published: link

A little teaser:

The record is particularly bad in China. Over the past six years, the F.D.A. has managed to inspect annually an average of just 15 of the 714 Chinese drug plants that export to the United States. At its present pace, the F.D.A. would need more than 50 years to visit all of these Chinese plants. By contrast, the F.D.A. inspects domestic drug plants every 2.7 years.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, DimensionalDetective.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by mythatsabigprobe

You're kidding right? I can't tell if you were being sarcastic or not...?

Chinese Heparin

NY Times

I stand corrected.

In the case you provided, I would blame Baxter. Did they get sued out of existance? They should have been...

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Wow, I am thankful that I am not on any prescription meds right now. I had better try to keep it that way too.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I opened a thread last week about the lack of regulations and inspection when it comes to Chinese products.

Our corrupted corporate nation doesn't give two dimes about how much of the Chinese imports are tainted.

Including Pharmaceutical Ingredients.

The FDA is Powerless to Stop Contaminated Imports,

In the summer of 2007, Congress sent a group of investigators to China to determine the safety of Chinese food imports. Their investigation exposed alarming results: Not only does China’s food supply not meet U.S. food standards, it also does not meet international standards.

Upon discovering the health violations, the investigators recommended that the United States “… not impose equivalent safety measures on food imported from China . . . because China would not meet those standards, which would close off Chinese food exports to America,” according to economist Pat Choate.

After that we are still getting Chinese imports, Why?

Because our government doesn't care.

Since 2002 officials have testified that over 80 percent of active ingredients in U.S. prescription drugs are imported, yet the FDA only has information on a small minority of these companies. This means that the FDA cannot vow for the safety of our food or drugs, and that our leaders are well aware.

We have been getting their prescription drugs ingreadients since 2002.

source "Choate, P. (2008). Dangerous Business, The Risks of Globalization for America. “Manufacturing Policy Project”. p. 6, 7, 12 – 14."

www.economyincrisis.org...

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Wow if they do to pharmaceuticals what they've done to pet food (poison)and childrens toys (lead), and baby formula, we're in trouble.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   
there has been a new development with my perscription through the Veterans Administration..

for more than 8 years i have received 90 day perscriptions of meds through the mail.
Suddenly, last month, the VA... replaced my proven 'RX' with a 'replacement' medication which they seem to think is safe & compatable.

With this OP news... i am now questioning if the VA medication operation is operating on the 'low bidder' model... & whether the Chinese drug industry is actually supplying the 'replacement' medication ...

i will investigate as much as i can, to see if the VA, with scores of 10s of thousands of military veterans who receive (at min cost) 90 day RXs as opposed to the private physician ordered RXs from the various domestic & well regulated pharmaceutical suppliers.

thanks for the heads up
I'll try to discover if any of us vets have a new worry over our heads

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join