It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

M.S. movie maker install /can't get rid of it on my desktop

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 08:57 AM
link   
i was downloading windows movie maker program and didn't realize that it was part of windows and now i have this install icon on my desktop that i cannot delete.

apparently this is part of a windows component and won't let me delete

can anyone tell me how to get rid of it ?

[edit on 3-11-2008 by easynow]

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Hi easynow
You probably want what's called System Restore.

Windows makes System Restore Points which you can use to take your computer back to a previous state before you had installed something, or of you updated an application and one of the drivers is missing or faulty and you want to go back to the old application which worked.

Most versions of windows it is in the Control Panel, or to find it just type in "restore" or "restore point" in to contents in Help.

A word of warning, though: if you haven't done one before, or even if you have, TAKE IT SLOWLY and READ EVERY WORD IN EVERY WINDOW, even if you're sure what it says - READ EVERYTHING.

Windows has a habit of being inconsistant with the names of things, so you will open something and it will be called something else, or you open a link and it's just information about something rather than the actual link to the application. SYSTEM RESTORE has this confusing attribute.

Open all the links in a window , including the links in the left margin of the window, one after the other and cancel them so that you know where all the links go. You can then choose the right one - the system restore application.

Be sure to restart immediately after installing or uninstalling anything.

Also be aware that system restore doesn't return personal files like word processor docs.,
Hope helpdya

[edit on 5-11-2008 by undermind]

[edit on 5-11-2008 by undermind]

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 05:39 PM
link   
go to this page and follow the advice.

It might just solve your issue.
Instructions

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   
thank you undermind and mrmonsoon

great advice you both have for me and i sincerely appreciate your your help.

i was reading the info about how these files usually say 'cannot delete because the file is in use' and it wasn't really saying that so i went to delete it again to read the message and guess what ?

it deleted this time...
:

not sure why it worked this time because i don't think the file said it was in use and cannot delete. if i remember correctly it just said cannot delete a window component. not sure really but i have since logged off and maybe the program was still running before i logged off ?

who know's , i am just glad it's gone

thanks again

top topics

join