It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A man and a woman came to my door tonight!!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Ok, I find this strangely odd... I've lived in and owned my home for seven years; as of January first. Tonight as I was cooking dinner (about 7pm) a man and woman come to my door; the man wearing an Obama T-shirt. They ask for me by my maiden name (which the Tax Collectors shows my maiden name) I laughed and told them my name is now @#!##$@, which I pointed out that they must have looked me up in "public records", they admitted so. They wanted to know who I was voting for!

Is this the norm??? I've always had a day job and have always been home in the evenings, for as long as we've lived here, but never have I had someone come to my door and ask who I would be voting for! My hubby found this somewhat amusing. (no one ever asks for him!) I guess I have a "strange" perspective of things. Soooo, (as my hubby waited so patiently for my reply. LOL, he loves it when Jehovah witnesses come to the door and I tell them I believe "god" is an alien) I let them know that I would not be voting! I told them that I believe they make us think its the "choice" of the people. The land of the free right? They want us to think that and it doesn't matter who "you or I" vote for; they will put whom ever they want into office. The two were in shock! I don't think they knew what to say! They had three options on their "paper", Independent, Obama, McCain; oh, and not home. (They let me know that.) I told them to put whatever they want, they were still in shock that I wasn't voting. Why would I waste one second of my limited life "voting" when it doesn't even count?

Well, my question is.... Has anyone else ever had this happen??? Now or in the past??? (people coming to their door??)

BTW, I have nothing against Jehovah witnesses or any religion for that fact; but I don't preach what I believe unless I'm asked and I don't care to be preached to. We all have our own beliefs, thats what makes us different. Though I don't agree with religion, but thats just my "belief". Just so you all know, I'm not discriminating!! I just find it a bit odd that something like this is going on, and; their "paper" only had four people on it, pre-printed!!! Whats up with that??? They said I'm a registered voter, yet I've never been! I also happen to know that more than four people on my street own their homes..... So what gives???

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 10:01 PM
link   
I had a guy for Obama come to my door and he asked the same question. I told him that it was none of his buisness and that if he didn't get the hell of my front porch he was going to have a very bad day.

No one has bothered me since.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 10:03 PM
link   
You are absolutely right, your vote does not matter one iota...it's all about the Electoral College. That's why so many Americans would like to see the Electoral College abolished...the popular vote counts for nil, nothing, nada, goose egg...I for one would like to see the Electoral College gone!

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by paisley101

The set up of the electoral college would actually make a lot of sense if they would set some rules into place. Unfortunately though, a lot of ppl are disillusioned, believing that they are voting for the candidate and not realizing they are voting for someone else to vote for the candidate.

Lack of education is the only problem and not so much the intention of the system (of course, in this day and age, we still need to be able to set up some extra guidelines after ppl are educated for this system to work more smoothly).

OP~ I have heard that this is happening. This is not something that is typical simply bc most candidates are prone to accept public funding which means that they have restrictions set in place and are limited in their tactics to sway the public based on that spending restriction. Obama opted to reject public funding and therefore he has the ability to do things that are making those less "in the know" scratch their heads... ie, the infomercial, phone calls, home visits, etc.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Great points so far... I know nothing of politics, or the Electoral College. I guess I have other things in my life that come first. I take it as it comes, whatever happens I cannot stop it, so I adjust and work through it, and try my best to come out on top. I honestly believe though that our "vote" means nada. I have more important things to worry about, like my son. I think our government it completly corrupt! Unless we can get a whole lot of people to take our government down, we have no choice!

My husband is 100% hillbilly redneck. LOL... (complete opposite of me!) Hes up to date on the politics thing, and hes very against Obama, he said Obama is trying to take away our rights to bear arms. I can say that I don't agree with that one! I feel I have a right to protect myself and my family, we all do!! (unless you are a convicted felon). Really though, making guns illeagel is the same as our street drugs being illeagel, they will still be there. Only we will have no right to defend ourselves from it!

Haha, the right to bear arms is the first thing so far that I've learned about this whole election! I sure am out of the "loop"...

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 10:42 PM
link   
We're being Obamaded on TV... we're being Obamaded on our telephones... and now they are on our porches? This is like some zombie movie!

They better not come to my house harrassing me... I am so sick of hearing about him... he's not the second coming of christ! Yee gawds!

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 10:48 PM
link   
O, but you did vote. You did indeed vote.

And how? Your non-vote is a vote. Not a noted vote, but a vote no more and no less equal with the rest qualified to vote.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mabus

And how? Your non-vote is a vote. Not a noted vote, but a vote no more and no less equal with the rest qualified to vote.

Then whom will my "non vote" go toward??? Sorry, I should have been a blond!!!

Like I said.... I'm new to this "politics" thing.

[edit on 2-11-2008 by milkinmoo]

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 11:02 PM
link   
HMM, haven't had that problem. They probably would have a hard time climbing the razor wire and getting past the Rottweilers. If by some chance they did, they probably would not have to ask any questions of who I voted for judging by the sidearm I wear when answering the door for strangers via the surveillance cameras.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by milkinmoo

Toward you.

Yourself. For you. Understand it shouldn't take a proper noted vote to better any thing or any one.

Where common sense is it surely doesnt take a noted vote for any other person. Common sense says the better solutions is with the better works applied, not named persons. May the better works work for us!

A non-vote vote reveals you're the person actually changing for better. The ppl which vote a proper noted type vote are yet saving the same things that need be yet done away with.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 11:45 PM
link   
That does seem weird.

Here in Australia, some people consider it quite rude to ask another person who they are voting for, let alone going door to door asking strangers...

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by milkinmoo

Toward you.

Yourself. For you. Understand it shouldn't take a proper noted vote to better any thing or any one.

Where common sense is it surely doesnt take a noted vote for any other person. Common sense says the better solutions is with the better works applied, not named persons. May the better works work for us!

A non-vote vote reveals you're the person actually changing for better. The ppl which vote a proper noted type vote are yet saving the same things that need be yet done away with.

Thanks Mabus!!! I think you just made my night!!!

At least I don't have to feel bad about not saving humanity from the "antichrist" and such! LMAO!!!

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by NuclearPaul
That does seem weird.

Here in Australia, some people consider it quite rude to ask another person who they are voting for, let alone going door to door asking strangers...

Well, I guess thats America for you....
Its no wonder why everyone hates us huh? We can't keep our noses out of everyone elses business. I think thats half our problem. The people trying to control us, want to control it all!

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by NuclearPaul

lol

If anyone asked me at my door who I was voting for.... I'd probably knock em out or send them packing... I don't need you coming to my door w/ your little shirts on for your candidate.

Go back to your boxes.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Their having "Research" on you is very odd. Door to door canvassing is a time honored old fashoned political tool. Which is the hallmark of the Obama campaign. I do not like the record search prior to the vist. I do not like them asking you who you plan to vote for. If they have something positive to say about their candidate that is their business and fair game.

You don't know who they are and self revelation should not be question one in a list. But that dosen't mean they were from the Obama Campaign.

Another time honored tradition is to put bumper stickers on peoples cars without their permission the night before the election. Bumper stickers for the oppostion. That along with the 3 in the morning campaign call.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 01:17 AM
link   
I aquired both Obama and McCain signs and placed them in my yard. When the pollsters asked who I was voting for I said "On election day, the first sign that is urinated on by my dog will be the person I voted for"......They marked me "not at home"

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 01:27 AM
link   
You should have made them feel all warm and gooey inside by telling them you would vote for the party on their T shirt. Then ask them for a ride at X time to the polls on Election Day. Then when Election Day rolls around you are not there wasting their fuel and time as they just wasted your time. It seems only fair to me.

Or you could just answer the door with an assault rifle in your hand and whoever is on the other side will most likely never bother you again.

Never had this happen, they had better hope they do not do this on a day where I have to work nights though.

Raist

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 01:34 AM
link   
i live in a just about all black neighborhood and ive had someone come to my door at least once or twice a week for the past three weeks, one trying to get me to register to vote and the others with just flyers

this is in NC where hes very heavily campaigning of late

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 01:39 AM
link   
So much hostility displayed here.

In the UK it's the norm, in the lead up to any election, to have the candidates, for local elections, or the campaign workers come knocking on your door asking for support. If you don't want to answer questions then politely decline to answer them.. No point in getting all worked up and hostile about it.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 02:51 AM
link   
Not too long ago, a guy and gal stopped by my house and asked if I was (insert name of choice here) and if I was registered as a (insert political group here). I said "thats me."
They then asked if I voted for my party only, or, would I cross the isle if needed. I answered the question and sent them down the road.
I live just a half a block or so from OU (GO SOONERS!), so we are always getting college kids stopping by the house for one reason or another.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join