It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prop. 8

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I waqs driving down the road today and saw a bunch of people standing on the side of a 4-way intersection holding up signs that stated;"No on prop. 8". i dont understand why it should be legal. i personaly dont care wether it is or not just dont force me to accept it. I mean Gay marriage is ok but, singing the pledge of alliegence in school is not ok? i just dont understand why this is happening.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 07:28 PM
link   
It should not be legal and I hope California passes 8 just as they passed a law years ago deeming gay marriage illegal. The first time Californian's voiced not wanting gay marriage the lawsuits jumped up and such a stink was made their decision was overruled.

I have no problem with gays having some sort of civil union but marriage should be reserved for the union between a man and a woman. And when the voters make their choices by an overwhelming majority, no court should go against their wishes.

Jemison

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Jemison

The Court over-ruled it because the majority voice (aka the ones that voted) was in conflict with the Constitution. Equality took precedence.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by ClownZ90
I waqs driving down the road today and saw a bunch of people standing on the side of a 4-way intersection holding up signs that stated;"No on prop. 8".

Here in Sacramento, CA I see the same thing you are describing.....only the signs say "yes". So what's your point exactly?...

i dont understand why it should be legal.

Homosexuality or homosexual marriage?

Would you vote to make homosexuality illegal? If not, why not?

i personaly dont care wether it is

So you or not just dont force me to accept it.

Sorry.... this makes my head laugh.

So you see signs and you are forced to accept it?? Uncle Sam must LOVE YOU!

i just dont understand why this is happening.

It's happening because it has no other choice

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 08:16 PM
link   
No on Hate/8!!!
No on Hate/8!!!

Just remember in the booth...NO ON HATE/8.

Tolerance and rights for ALL not just Mormons!!

Steve Young says NO on HATE/8.

Arnold the Terminator says NO on HATE/8!!

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by ClownZ90
I waqs driving down the road today and saw a bunch of people standing on the side of a 4-way intersection holding up signs that stated;"No on prop. 8". i dont understand why it should be legal. i personaly dont care wether it is or not just dont force me to accept it. I mean Gay marriage is ok but, singing the pledge of alliegence in school is not ok? i just dont understand why this is happening.

Because they are human beings, just like you and I and they deserve the same rights we do. Why should it NOT be legal? Because some religions disagree with it? The fact is, it does not afect straight people either way. The passing of prop 8 will NOT affect schools or churches like the bogus ads say. Churches will still have every legal right to not perfomr a marriage in the church.

The ONLY people this affects are homosexuals who just want the chance to be married to the person they love, like everyone else.

If the prop is passed, we should pass one saying NO ONE can be married. Fair is fair, equality for all.

I'm so sick and tired of this debate and of the Yes on 8 ads that run every ten minutes. I have kids, I will one day have grandkids, if one of them ends up being gay, I do not want their rights hindered. I also am sick and tired of the intolerance still playing out against homosexuals. As long as we, adults keep this up, discrimination like this will exist. How about live and let live? They're asking to be married to someone, not to have public orgies on the street corner!

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 08:39 PM
link   

As long as we, adults keep this up, discrimination like this will exist. How about live and let live? They're asking to be married to someone, not to have public orgies on the street corner!

So where do you draw the line? If gay marriage is 'legal' then why can't people have multiple spouses? If gay marriage is legal why can't people marry their pets? Who is to say that beastiality is any more deviant than homosexulaity?

We have become a society that spends all of our time and money tip-toeing around minorities of any kind wether it be race, religion, sexuality, etc. and the political correctedness has gone too far.

I have 4 children and if one of them was gay I would not love them any less but at the same time, while I believe there should be civil unions offering gay couples rights, I will never believe that gays should have the 'right' to 'marriage' even if it is my child.

Jemison

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jemison

As long as we, adults keep this up, discrimination like this will exist. How about live and let live? They're asking to be married to someone, not to have public orgies on the street corner!

So where do you draw the line? If gay marriage is 'legal' then why can't people have multiple spouses? If gay marriage is legal why can't people marry their pets? Who is to say that beastiality is any more deviant than homosexulaity?

We have become a society that spends all of our time and money tip-toeing around minorities of any kind wether it be race, religion, sexuality, etc. and the political correctedness has gone too far.

I have 4 children and if one of them was gay I would not love them any less but at the same time, while I believe there should be civil unions offering gay couples rights, I will never believe that gays should have the 'right' to 'marriage' even if it is my child.

Jemison

You would proclaim your own child a sexual deviant if they were gay? Are you just totally throwing all scientific study out the window?

Obviously sex with animals is COMPLETELY different then homosexual sex, and the fact that you equate the two is quite disturbing.

Two CONSENTING adults should by all means ahve the right to marry. There is no deviance in that. Is it because they cannot procreate? Well, what say you to infertile people? Should they not be allowed to marry either?

And multiple spouses? IMO, why not, who does it hurt? Certainly not you.

The problem here is, people using their personal religion to control everyone else.

It has nothing to do with "political correctness", if you knew me IRL, you'd know that I'm one of the least "politically correct" people around these parts. It's about not condemning people over their religion, race or sexuality. It's pretty damn egotistical to be so sure that YOU are right, YOUR religion is right, EVERYONE ELSE is wrong if they don't agree with you.

I happen to be a woman who believes in God, and has read the Bible multiple times. But I will not force my personal beliefs on CONSENTING ADULTS and I will do everything in my power to insure that neither my rights, the rights of my children, or YOUR rights for that matter are impinged upon.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Jemison

I wholeheartedly agree! Where would it end? Dogs marrying cats? Snakes entering polygamous relationships with mice? For heaven's sake, this could very well rip a hole in the space time continuum! Up would be down, black would be white! Brangelina would be Brosie O'Donnell! OH GOD THE HUMANITY!

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Jemison

Pets cannot give "informed consent" or "consent" theoretically!!

Comparing 2 same sex individual partners to animals is an insult to say the least!

Multiple partners are condoned by many "civilized" societies today. I conform to the western view on single partner but that in no way is morally equivalent to bestiality. If you were the least bit intellectually honest you would admit this fact.

Homosexuals are NOT seeking multiple partner marriages...SIMPLY EQUAL TREATMENT UNDER THE LAW!

No on HATE/8!!!

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Marriage is a contract between the state and two people. Straight people can make that contract, so why can't homosexuals? Marriage has become increasingly less a religious union and more and more a secular contract.

Equality is the most important thing. If a church does not want to perform a religious ceremony uniting two people, then fine. They don't have to and no one can stop them. Churches are private institutions and can deny the ceremony to anyone.

States, however, are not private institutions. If they perform and execute a contract between two straight people for the recognition of a union with no religious meaning (say at the county courthouse), then they can execute the same contract for two homosexual people.

Religion should not play a role in the function of the state. Equality should be the deciding factor.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Can someone explain what the difference between "civil union" and "marriage"is? is it that a marriage is performed in a church and is therefore a religious concept?

"So where do you draw the line? If gay marriage is 'legal' then why can't people have multiple spouses? If gay marriage is legal why can't people marry their pets? Who is to say that beastiality is any more deviant than homosexulaity? "

What on earth does this mean? firstly there are plenty of countries/cultures that allow multiple spouses, secondly we are not talking about different species here, and who said homosexuality was deviant

DE-VI-ANT
n. One that differs from a norm, especially a person whose behavior and attitudes differ from accepted social standards.

so according to this definition if the majority of society accepts it then it is not deviant.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Jemison

Jemison

For your childrens sake, I hope they are all straight. Your comment about drawing the line has been used so many times and it holds no water. Homosexuals are PEOPLE not animals. Comapring the two is an absolute insult.

You can have your opinion, I just don't want it to be law.

[edit on 2-11-2008 by TERAKO68]

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Jemison

Marry pets? Oh why is it the gay bashers always use this argument? Leave it to them to come up with such stuff!!

Sorry Jemison, we're here, we're queer, and now we can even get married!!

Mine is coming up next year.. we're registered at Nordstroms & Macys if you'd like to pick us up a little something!!

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I think I will vote Yes on Proposition 8 ...

... just to take the piss out of the Gay nazis in Hollywood, you all know who you are.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by 2stepsfromtop

... just to take the piss out of the Gay nazis in Hollywood, you all know who you are.

No on Hate/8!

and your remark "my friend" sounds like HATE to me...blind, unfeeling, thoughtless, needless HATE.

Whadya you care who get's married...Really???

Well what comes around goes around!

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by 2stepsfromtop

I hope they know, because I have no idea what you are talking about.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 01:54 AM
link   

So where do you draw the line?

Two consenting human adults (who are hopefully in love).

If gay marriage is 'legal' then why can't people have multiple spouses? If gay marriage is legal why can't people marry their pets? Who is to say that beastiality is any more deviant than homosexulaity?

I thought we just drew the line?...

We have become a society that spends all of our time and money
tip-toeing around minorities...

Oh really? All of our time AND money?? heh.

It's amazing we can still manage to spend trillions on the Military with zero money. My point is; what's your point again?

Oh right:

...of any kind wether it be race, religion, sexuality, etc. and the political correctedness has gone too far.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness - United States Declaration of Independence

I guess our Founding Fathers liked to ride the PC-train all the way to the court room.

Then you would be loving him or her less.

Loving someone means you accept them for who they are. And you believe in their Right to be who they are. And you believe they should have the freedom to express that Right.

And before you say 'Civil Unions', you have to consider the possibility, however unlikely, your gay child wants it to be a 'Marriage'. To feel loved is to feel accepted.

[edit on 3-11-2008 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 02:04 AM
link   
I honestly don't get why people think that gay marriage is a concern of theirs... If you aren't gay, it shouldn't matter to you...

Does gay marriage invalidate straight marriage? not in the least... From the point of view of the state, marriage is just a way of linking two people together legally. Anything else beyond that is your perception of marriage.

Your marriage is as sacred as you ever believed it to be. Because two guys/girls down the street want to get married, how does this personally impact you?

If you don't support gay marriage... well, then don't marry someone of the same sex!

We don't spend too much time tiptoing around minorities... Your position on that means that you don't believe you belong to a minority group. This country is not about majority rule and burn all others at the stake... Instead it has a basic premise that all persons are equal.

That means black, white, asian, athiest, christian, hindu, muslim, gay, straight, man and woman are all on an equal grounds.

Since people don't believe gays should be allowed to marry... well, what if I said I don't believe Christians should be allowed to marry... or asians? Why is that any more "wrong" than you refusing Homosexuals the right to marry?

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Why should we vote on a proposition that amends the constitution to ban a group of people from getting married?
What's so wrong with gay people, and don't dare to bring up any biblebabble, it's outdated and it should have no place in government of government's policy.
So what is it that bugs people about gays? Give me a legitimate reason to fear them, to negate them rights?

The truth is, this whole ad campaign by the Knights of Columbus and such groups has really been misleading, so much that people i've talked to think that the prop 8 would make it illegal to teach children about gay marriage. I have to explain that prop 8 would make it so California would recognize marriage to be only between a man and a woman.

And to all you gay bashers, I'm pretty sure some of you have families of your own, so ask yourselves this question: What if one of your kids, being old enough to date, tell you that they are bi or gay? Would the unconditional love you have for them fade and would you kick them out of your house, would you be heartless enough to cut off all ties with them? Just think about it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join