It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Says He Will Bankrupt Coal Industry

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 06:07 PM
link   

What I've said is that we would put a cap and trade system in place that is as aggressive, if not more aggressive, than anybody else's out there.

So if somebody wants to build a coal-powered plant, they can; it's just that it will bankrupt them because they're going to be charged a huge sum for all that greenhouse gas that's being emitted.

newsbusters.org

It's obvious from this audio clip that Obama isn't wanting any more coal production in the United States. Note at the end of this video how Biden agrees with him. "No coal plants; let China have them." I wonder how this will sit with Pennsylvania and the other heavy coal producing states?

What's unclear to me is whether or not this policy would crush existing coal plants. Around half of the electric power in the U.S. is from coal. What is clear is that Obama is wanting to totally move away from fossil based fuels. No more coal. I wonder if the major news networks will bring this up?

[edit on 2-11-2008 by dbates]

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   
They will have to when the unemployment rate skyrockets and they're trying to figure out why. Oh yeah, no more coal power and he isn't supporting nuclear, either. Guess we needs a few million more wind farms don't we?

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by dbates

: Groans : It would seem as if Obama seems to think along as Labour has done in New Zealand a energy policy failure . The problem with a lot of the Alternative Energy's is that they are are like Bio Fuels in the sense that they are either not at the stage of development for immediate use or they run into other problems some where along the line typically Resource Consent .

Myself I am not a huge fan of using coal to produce electricity due to its environmental unfriendly nature . I would prefer that New Zealand saved its coal reserves for export and instead used a mixture of Nuclear Power and Solar and Wind Power in isolated community's where it may not be worth upgrading the electricity grid . Having seen the same people that are the biggest supporters of Alternative Energy's oppose Wind Farms because they spoil the scenery I have become convinced that left wing energy policy would doom us all electricity shortages .

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Looks like gov. Palin is taking him to task on this one now. I wonder if this will change anything in the election? Probably not.

www.cbsnews.com...

This is probably the closest thing to an October surprise as we're going to get. This could really change up a few votes in the Pennsylvania area and Obama needs that state as a security measure.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 07:05 AM
link   
After hearing several questionable remarks from him and his campaign,I'm shocked the people supporting him haven't changed their minds,he is acting like he is president already and telling the people,watch out your industry is the next to fall

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 07:09 AM
link   
That's not the worst. He even admits that under his plan, 'electricity rates would necessarily skyrocket'. Those are his words, not mine. Wait until 1:45...

Yeah, this guy is a real friend of the middle and lower classes alright.

If anyone needed any more evidence that the media has been covering his backside during this campaign, there should be no more doubt. I'm just glad that this is something that we're going to hear about before the election, although since its so late, many will not see this. In any event, I have a feeling that this is the tip of a very large iceberg.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Oldtimer2
,he is acting like he is president already

That's the truth! Watch and enjoy -

www.youtube.com...

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 07:10 AM
link   
It appears that someone else has already started a thread on this subject. Please use the existing thread to continue discussion:

Obama To Bankrupt Coal Industry

Thread Closed

top topics

join