It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

you can help world hunger easily.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 06:05 PM
link   
You guys want to help world hunger?

Go to this site..

www.freerice.com...

whether its legit or not... it helps you on your definition terms.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Click on the link below and look for the Click Here to Give button.

Click once-a-day only.

www.thehungersite.com...

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 07:54 PM
link   
help end world hunger or help increase it? j/k i know what you mean. I just wish my CT lifestyle hadnt lead me to sources that say giving to these places helps the opposing factor. I really just hope I can become independently wealthy and then go to africa or where ever, and just spread the wealth in person. lol spread the wealth, damn political catch phrases, like viri in my brain...

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   
likewise. You never know if you can trust these huge organizations who claim to help other countries.. BUT if i was super wealthy, you better believe i would give a lot to other countries. I wish i could do more right now, but unfortunately in order to help, even volunteering.. it does cost money. its not cheap to help the world!

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by calihan123

My experience is that what organizations need even more than your money is your time.

I was homeless for a while when I was young, and I started volunteering to local homeless shelters and food pantries as a way of paying back the help I'd received.

I showed up at a food pantry and told them I didn't have any money but wanted to help. They had me drive an old pick up to get day old bread donated by a grocery, and then deliver it to old peoples nursing homes where the people were starving. All they needed was a driver; some rich person had donated the pickup.

Now I volunteer at another homeless shelter. We are gearing up for the cold weather, and thanksgiving!

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 08:05 PM
link   

no its not! I wanted to go help out on a ship, but it would cost money to volunteer. lol
I think all we can really do is do our part locally. Like volunteer at soup lines and giving food to the homeless and needy. I think its safe to say, the local organizations are legit, after all, you see the end result immediately in your own town and there really is no room for profits of any sort.

There are some issues, like the Africa thing, I heard that it has something to do with the diamond business that our donated food and money doesn't get there. Perhaps if we all boycott vanity, the price of such inane bling bling possessions will lose their value and the starving could get their food. Im sure its much more intricate than that, but damn, I really wish I knew a for sure way to help. Its not like you can just directly mail some food over there to a homeless family. Maybe some members that live in the areas that need help, could help us figure out a way to actually directly send stuff that will be distributed and reported back to us that it was successful. who knows, i like your attitude though, thank you for being a compassionate human being

[edit on 11/2/2008 by psychedeliack]

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 08:05 PM
link   
thats really neat
im sorry you had to be homeless.

I was always mad because i worked at a bakery, and we had SOO much extra food left at the end of the night that we had to just throw away. We couldnt give it away because they said the "food would be bad by the end of the night" which was complete bull. It was pastries and breads and salads.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by psychedeliack

no its not! I wanted to go help out on a ship, but it would cost money to volunteer. lol
I think all we can really do is do our part locally. Like volunteer at soup lines and giving food to the homeless and needy. I think its safe to say, the local organizations are legit, after all, you see the end result immediately in your own town and there really is no room for profits of any sort.

There are some issues, like the Africa thing, I heard that it has something to do with the diamond business that our donated food and money doesn't get there. Perhaps if we all boycott vanity, the price of such inane bling bling possessions will lose their value and the starving could get their food. Im sure its much more intricate than that, but damn, I really wish I knew a for sure way to help. Its not like you can just directly mail some food over there to a homeless family. Maybe some members that live in the areas that need help, could help us figure out a way to actually directly send stuff that will be distributed and reported back to us that it was successful. who knows, i like your attitude though, thank you for being a compassionate human be[b/]ing

yeah volunteer programs cost a bundle. I looked it up, cause i wanted to go to south america and volunteer.. it was EXPENSIVE

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by calihan123
thats really neat
im sorry you had to be homeless.

Thanks. But my homelessness was a combination of

1) not having a car, and thus not having a job,
2) not having the courage to basically walk into a business and tell them why I'm a gift from God to their balance sheet and that they should hire me on the spot if they want to save their business,
3) not having the life-skills yet to deal with my situation,
4)being suddenly of legal drinking age.
5)having no prior experience with drugs stronger than pot, and the escapism they provide.

After about a week on the street, you're not coming back on your own, if you're a male. You haven't had a shower, and you have a hobobeard, and nobody is going to hire you because you "look like a bum." People's expectation takes over, and you start to shuffle, beg, and argue with yourself.

You cannot beg enough to escape your situation in one day; but you can beg enough for a 40 oz. bottle of malt liquor. And to be safe from all the people you who prey on the homeless, you need to get away from high traffic areas---the only areas where you have any hope of begging for help.

Anyway, the people who rescued me were folks from a church; they didn't pressure me with a lot of religious talk--they got me a shower and a shave and some clean clothes. They didn't expect me to convert, they just wanted to help. It took me more than a couple of tries to get it right. But I eventually got to college and built a career, life and family.

That's the reason for my posts on the "is religion good or bad for society" thread. I know a lot of guys who could tell you what religion does that really matters and changes people's lives. And makes them want to help when they can, too. they'd probably love to tell you all about it.

But most of those guys don't have internet access.

They consider themselves blessed, having a coat on the 1st of november.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 04:06 AM
link   

top topics

join