It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists turbo-charge immune cells to fight cancer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Neuroblastoma is one of those words that causes me to cringe everytime I hear it. Its pretty much a death sentance for kids and there is little you can do about it that works. However, this may help things quite a bit. I take great interest in the attempts to modify a persons own immune system rather than using antibiotics / virals etc. If you can minimize the side effects from conventional therapy it would go a long way to improving quality of life and survival rates.

PARIS (AFP) – Scientists in the United States have created super-charged immune cells that helped beat back cancer tumours in half of a small group of patients tested, according to a study released Sunday.

Adding an artificial receptor to T-lymphocytes immune cells boosted their ability to fight a deadly form of cancer called neuroblastoma, the researchers reported.

Neuroblastoma attacks the nervous system. While fairly rare, it accounts for seven percent of all childhood cancers, and 15 percent of non-adult cancer deaths.
news.yahoo.com...;_ylt=Auax1v48ZWwjGluUOt_PVxPVJRIF

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 05:58 PM
link   
That's an interesting find. I'd like to see the clinical trials on this one, if it ever gets to that stage.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Interesting find.
I also would like to know more.
No doubt the technology will somehow get suppressed, unless massive profits can be made from it.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Is this method the same as this??? www.abovetopsecret.com... I can't tell there are just so many would be cures these days

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

This sounds great at first glance but does this treatment only attack tumors? I mean, killing a tumor is only half the battle. Even if tumors aren't present, the process of cancer may still be taking place.

I'll have to check it out.

Edit: Ok, just read the link. I would also like to see how this does in medical trials. It would also be nice to see how long those treated with this therapy, have their cancer stay in remission.

-Dev

[edit on 7-11-2008 by DevolutionEvolvd]

top topics

join