It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Tis the Season for Tricking Voters

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   

'Tis the Season for Tricking Voters

abcnews.go.com

Complaints have surfaced in predominantly African-American neighborhoods of Philadelphia where fliers have circulated, warning voters they could be arrested at the polls if they had unpaid parking tickets or if they had criminal convictions.

Over the weekend in Virginia, bogus fliers with an authentic-looking commonwealth seal said fears of high voter turnout had prompted election officials to hold two elections — one on Tuesday for Republicans and another on Wednesday for Democrats.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Wow, some people are really low. We have to think for ourselves, and not let these people get into our heads. Rather than supporting your candidate, we have resorted to pulling dirty tricks to try and get our favorite into office. Whatever happened to good ol' fashioned hard work?

Disgusting, to say the least.

Comments/opinions?

abcnews.go.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   
The dirty trick I find most distasteful is printing ballots in Spanish. You cannot vote if you are not a citizen or a naturalized citizen. To become a naturalized citizen you must be able to read English. To print ballots in Spanish encourages voter fraud.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by groingrinder

To become a naturalized citizen you must be able to read English.

Where did you hear that? My family sponsered two families to become citizens of the U.S. and they weren't able to fluently read English at the time - as a matter of fact, their citizenship test was taken in Spanish.

Look at the DMV ... in California they offer the drivers test in 26 different languages! Reading English is not a requirement by any stretch of the imagination.

Oh, and for the record, I agree with you that the ballots should NOT be in Spanish. I whole-heartedly believe that English should be made the official language of the United States and that anyone that is living here should be required to speak and read English fluently.

Jemison

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Yeah... because I'm sure Spanish speaking immigrants can't figure out President = Presidente.

Adding an extra 'e' is much worse than threatening to arrest potential voters and telling them to vote the day after the election.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Over the weekend in Virginia, bogus fliers with an authentic-looking commonwealth seal said fears of high voter turnout had prompted election officials to hold two elections — one on Tuesday for Republicans and another on Wednesday for Democrats.

LOL...well if people are stupid enough to fall for that they have no business voting anyway.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Sonya610

LOL...well if people are stupid enough to fall for that they have no business voting anyway.

I was thinking the exact same thing but didn't want to type it and get flamed!

One of these days maybe something more than living to be the age of 18 and filling out a paper will be required for a person to vote.

Jemison

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sonya610

Have you read the flyer with the official Virginia common wealth seal? Then how are you able to determine the intelligence of these voters? Oh, yeah, I forgot (as seen in your other posts), you don't care about other people.

I think it's a desperate ploy to try to trick Democrats. Smells really desperate.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pamie
I think it's a desperate ploy to try to trick Democrats. Smells really desperate.

Obviously, since they're telling them to vote on Wednesday...

I think that would be against the constitution anyway. General Elections shall be held the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pamie
Have you read the flyer with the official Virginia common wealth seal?

Oh well if it has an "official seal" then thats different! LOL...it must be true Pamie. So are you planning to vote on wednesday?

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jemison
reply to post by Sonya610

I was thinking the exact same thing but didn't want to type it and get flamed!

One of these days maybe something more than living to be the age of 18 and filling out a paper will be required for a person to vote.

Jemison

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying because your sentence structure is, um, unintelligible. Did you mean that people should be required to take a test before they are allowed to vote? If that’s what you were thinking, what type of subjects should we test people on? Is this to determine intelligence? Or an understanding of the political process?

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 02:48 PM
link   
well if it has an official seal, then unless you are a conspiracy theorist, you probably wont question it. Even a republican may think its strange but not even look at it as a trick.
If you dont question authority, how do you know if you are dealing with the real authority or not?

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jemison

Do you know any history? The 18 year old vote is a direct result of some several thousand US citizens being sent off to fight, kill and die in a war in which they had no voice at all.

This is one of the finest results of that era, that people old enough for military service are old enough to have a voice in choosing the leadership of the country they serve.

I must stop now, being in danger of an extreme T&C violation.

Edit:

Oh yeah, one more thing. Great thread... S & F. Keep up the good work!

[edit on 2-11-2008 by Open_Minded Skeptic]

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I don't think you should have to test or anything to vote. Just a legal citizen, and 18 years old will do for me. There are some things that I do think should require testing, like I always thought getting your drivers license should require passing a drug test, but that's a different topic.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Official looking state seal or not, if you tried to vote on the day after a general election, you are too stupid to have a voice. Your voice doesn't count. They should reinstate the policy of having to own property to vote.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 03:12 PM
link   
The bit about two different voting days isn't new. Happened in 2000 as well, though that version didn't have fliers involved.

Snopes has a page on it, including a scan of the VA flier. There's a ton of grammatical and spelling errors, but on a quick glance it does look sort of "official" enough to fool some people.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by anachryon

Yeah, the same thing happens every election, but it is becoming more intense. Partly because of who is running. The really desperate people are the ones who can't stand the thought of a man of another race being in the White House, and will do what they can to stop it.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Rachel Maddow talked about a few of these issues on her show today. I'll see if I can't find a link.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 08:59 PM
link   
This isn't the first "Republican" trick I've read about on here... Apparently there was something a week or so ago which I cannot place my finger on the circumstances but apparently people had to then 'register Republican' to get the service or help or w/e it was.

Nasty stuff, IMO. Not new though; dirty tricks has been a part of campaigning and vote deliberation for many years.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by wisefoolishness
reply to post by anachryon

Yeah, the same thing happens every election, but it is becoming more intense. Partly because of who is running. The really desperate people are the ones who can't stand the thought of a man of another race being in the White House, and will do what they can to stop it.

I dont think its fair to automatically assume that because someone does not want BHO in the White House, that it is because of the color of his skin. Maybe, just maybe it is because of his political views, maybe some people do not want a Marxist in the White House.

I think that Alan Keyes would be a better choice. In case you didn't know, he looks an awful lot like a black man. I could be wrong on that. But if you listen to him he sounds a lot like a real conservative.

Martin Luther King wanted all people to be judged on the substance of a his/her character, not the color of the skin.

The real injustice in this election was that there were better men and women running for office than just McCain and Obama,you just never heard about them. That was the dirty trick.

Has anyone else noticed that voting Dem or Repub, doesn't really change anything. The same people are still getting rich.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join