It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Displacement of Earth's magnetic poles may turn planet into giant Hiroshima

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Displacement of Earth's magnetic poles may turn planet into giant Hiroshima

english.pravda.ru

The planet’s magnetic poles are being displaced. Scientists say that mankind may eventually find itself defenseless against the cosmic radiation, and the Earth will turn into the giant Hiroshima.

The chief scientist of the Central Military Institute for Ground Troops, Candidate of Technical Sciences, Yevgeni Shalamberidze, that that the geographic poles of the planet remain on their previous positions, whereas the magnetic poles have already drifted away 200 kilometers each. This phenomenon affects the processes of global scale.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I know the current pole positions were previouly elswhere but what would be the true effects of a resiting of the poles. Would it spell a global disater or less severe changes or would nothing happen at all.

Would the Wotld "capsize" what effect would it have on compasses and GPS and all our satelites. If there were dramatic changes would we be able to survive it or would therer be a big kill off as has happened before.

english.pravda.ru
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by magicmushroom

Its quite a worrying trend for the future and I can't see anyway to protect against it but as a whole its not a immediate threat. The 'switching' of the magnetic poles can take a very long time to complete (from the historical records), however, during this time the magnetic defenses of Earth get weaker, but will not disappear completely. Its nothing like a instant thing, one day we are healthy and the next day we are not.

The world would not capsize as we are only talking about the magnetic poles.

Its interesting to note that even around Chernobyl where the levels of radiation are extremely high to this day many animals and plants are thriving in the environment, so the idea of a mass extinction is unlikely. This has happened many times in the past and life as a whole has still survived.

I'm sure we will be able to survive as a species to some extent, we may have to move underground for a period of time or create buildings that help protect against the radiation.

Better get our lead underwear out and start digging.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Blood, I am already wearing my no leak under crackers but your right of course man is a very adaptable animal and so is the living world. I wonder if all thses weather changes of late are due to those changes and not the usual global warming crap.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Its happend before, matter of fact they flip every so often.
Life is still on the planet, its a natural thing.
Yup people will die but we will continue on.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Memysabu
Its happend before, matter of fact they flip every so often.
Life is still on the planet, its a natural thing.
Yup people will die but we will continue on.

QFT. The sky is not falling.

The article above is interesting, and is nice science fiction. However, the reality is that the nature of our magnetic field is highly complex, and tied in directly with our Sun:

science.nasa.gov...

Magnetic Portals Connect Sun and Earth

Researchers have long known that the Earth and sun must be connected. Earth's magnetosphere (the magnetic bubble that surrounds our planet) is filled with particles from the sun that arrive via the solar wind and penetrate the planet's magnetic defenses. They enter by following magnetic field lines that can be traced from terra firma all the way back to the sun's atmosphere.

"We used to think the connection was permanent and that solar wind could trickle into the near-Earth environment anytime the wind was active," says Sibeck. "We were wrong. The connections are not steady at all. They are often brief, bursty and very dynamic."

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Pravda is a load of junk.
But it is becoming clearly evident that the continents once shifted.
Hot climates instantly became frozen very quickly.
They have recently found a woolly mammoth who had just eaten lunch and was frozen solid so quickly it was unable to digest it.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Inter, so by your statment Pravda is not a load of junk yes, just because it may be a Russian propaganda paper does not make it junk anymore than any other newspaper.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 04:41 PM
link   

I don't think i understand. Is "propaganda" not "junk" by definition?

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Big, propaganda can be false info or exagerated truths but truths none the less. Its about scoring politcal points to push one's agenda.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 04:48 PM
link   

I can agree with you. But to me, an exaggerated truth is a lie.
As well, ignoring a truth to promote another truth is a lie.

top topics

join