It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Enemy Within:US Female Soldiers Raped.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 05:49 PM
link   
dampnickers

Before women were allowed in the army, there were no rapes. Simple.

Has to be one of the most idiotic comments i've ever read.

mf_luder

I agree that there are plenty of soldiers who do not carry out such actions,on fellow soldiers or the enemy.War can turn some men into monsters,their minds become unhinged.Some are already that way inclined and war gives them a chance to give vent to their violent natures.Other men manage to retain their humanity.

To all.

It appears that a handful of soldiers may also be guilty of not just raping fellow female soldiers,but murdering them too.

But, now, even more alarming, are deaths of women soldiers in Iraq, and in the United States, following rape. The military has characterized each of the deaths of women who were first sexually assaulted as deaths from "non-combat related injuries," and then added "suicide." Yet, the families of the women whom the military has declared to have committed suicide, strongly dispute the findings and are calling for further investigations into the deaths of their daughters. Specific US Army units and certain US military bases in Iraq have an inordinate number of women soldiers who have died of "non-combat related injuries," with several identified as "suicides."

94 US military women in the military have died in Iraq or during Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF). 12 US Civilian women have been killed in OIF. 13 US military women have been killed in Afghanistan during Operation Enduring Freedom (OEF). 12 US Civilian women have been killed in Afghanistan.

Of the 94 US military women who died in Iraq or in OIF, the military says 36 died from non-combat related injuries, which included vehicle accidents, illness, death by "natural causes," and self-inflicted gunshot wounds, or suicide. The military has declared the deaths of the Navy women in Bahrain that were killed by a third sailor, as homicides. 5 deaths have been labeled as suicides, but 15 more deaths occurred under extremely suspicious circumstances.

8 women soldiers from Fort Hood, Texas (six from the Fourth Infantry Division and two from the 1st Armored Cavalry Division) have died of "non-combat related injuries" on the same base, Camp Taji, and three were raped before their deaths. Two were raped immediately before their deaths and another raped prior to arriving in Iraq. Two military women have died of suspicious "non-combat related injuries" on Balad base, and one was raped before she died. Four deaths have been classified as "suicides."

www.commondreams.org...

Related links.
www.truthdig.com...
www.alternet.org...
uk.youtube.com...

[edit on 2-11-2008 by jakyll]

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by dooper

You say stress and horniness are counter productive but then say its "different" in the armed forces as you are doing "very serious work".

In my oppinion whatever the nature of the work being undertaken, whether its cutting grass or fighting the Taliban - there are no excuses.

People crack under stress, people suffer under stress but I'll never, ever believe stress from your career could make you more inclined to rape someone. Thats what your implying it seems?

"A lot of young people do stupid things?" I'd describe rape a little bit stronger than stupid...

Prudent precautions? Such as what ? Ban all females from the army as some psychopathic nutter might rape them

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

People crack under stress, people suffer under stress but I'll never, ever believe stress from your career could make you more inclined to rape someone. Thats what your implying it seems?

I would say that when they crack its usually the influence of others*Snip*,who encourage and influence them to commit such crimes.

Mod Edit: Do Not Circumvent The Automatic Censors.

[edit on 2-11-2008 by MemoryShock]

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Anyone found guilty of rape not just soldiers in my opinion need some sort of help mentally...Then punished.

I get horny at an inconvenient time i masturbate...simple!

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I apologize if I'm not making myself clear. There is no - and I mean - no excuse for rape. Ever. Anywhere. Anytime.

Guarded segregation worked very well in the past.

I recall a number of nights when I was guarding the outside perimeter of the WAC barracks, to keep out any unauthorized visitors.

All I'm saying is that if you throw together males and females, there's going to be some interaction, wanted and unwanted. Authorized and unauthorized. Legal and illegal.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I served in the military, USMC, back during Clinton's administration. Rape was most certainly a common theme in the military. And this was without a war. Most of them went unreported, some of the reported ones weren't real, it was a married woman who didn't want her husband to know that she is a barracks slut; this would usually happen in training right after boot camp. And many women who came forward about their rape were, in fact, pushed by officers to remain silent about the incident or they will receive some kind of punishment also. Matter of fact, my wife was in the Navy and was raped by a fellow Squid. Would you like to hear her story?

I'm sure that the war might push the numbers a little higher, but the military has been known to have a high number of rapes within their own ranks.

So you silly people blaming Bush for these rapes, please stop.

[edit on 2-11-2008 by AHostileMe]

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by calihan123
Of course women are going to get raped. These men are stuck over there for months, or years at a time with no contact with women.. if one comes in site, you better believe they are going to rape her.

That is a sad reality of having women in the service. But they should know the dangers of that happening, before they decide to become a soldier. How could they they not know that would happen?

Men are very sexual. When you take that away from them.. they do things they wouldnt normally do. Sex literally can control them. So whereas they wouldnt rape a woman in normal life, over there they do because sex is taken away from them.

Gee, sure sound like to me you're saying it's because their horny.

Can you explain, please, what you really meant?

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by dampnickersYou also IGNORANTLY disregarded my last comments about penal colonies.

You have some issues. The term mysogynist comes to mind. Your posts REEK of hatred towards women.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Well with apparently calling these deaths suicide, it looks very much like a coverup, which therefore implies that the government is partially responsible for the situation as it is being endured by the female soldiers, and also for their general programming and morale of the male soldiers.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 06:52 PM
link   
to anyone saying anything about "rape being a crime of passion" or to those who give the excuse "they're asking for it" is complete and utter BFS. As someone who has had the unfortunate privilege of a bumbling idiot telling me he knows what I really want, I truly feel for those women.

It sickens me to know that this happen in our own armed forces, I'm not surprised

But I will say that those are not the majority of soldiers out there, I know MANY guys fighting overseas personally and I know many of them would be/are just as sickened by this as I am.

I hope that something happens to these men who abuse of their power in this way, something very nasty and very bad

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 07:06 PM
link   
This is terrible. And I think that's been a fairly unanimous point by everyone who has posted, with few exceptions, so I don't feel a particular need to argue it.

And while I'm not in fact 'pro-military' (I often disagree with the objectives and ideals of the armed forces) I think that saying all soldiers are like this, or that all soldiers are insane, and in the military only for the exercise in violence, is incorrect and insulting.

There are a lot of people in the various branches of the military that are genuinely good people. Painting them all with this brush because some of them are bad is a horrible practice to get into.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Cue Standard Mod Spoil-Sport Speech

Hi People,

Yup...usual chestnut here: Debate the POST not the POSTER please.

Keep the personal attacks, inferences etc out of it please.

Cheers.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by dampnickers
reply to post by Death_Kron

Before women were allowed in the army, there were no rapes. Simple.

...there were rapes committed on innocent civilians.

(sorry for the one liner)

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Wow.. ok. Well, id like to see you go over there and get raped by other men soldiers and tell me how you feel about it still.

Same thing happens in prison buddy. Men get raped. They are confined, amongst already having emotional issues... and they do things they WOULDNT do in their normal life.

I dont see why you understand the point im making. I didnt say its because they are horny.

just wanted to point something out.. but uh...
women get raped in prison as well.

lil secret for ya.

-

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I still want to know why it's shocking that something that occurs in normal American society happens at a comparable rate in the American military?

Anyone?

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 07:44 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Of course women are going to get raped. These men are stuck over there for months, or years at a time with no contact with women.. if one comes in site, you better believe they are going to rape her.

That is a sad reality of having women in the service. But they should know the dangers of that happening, before they decide to become a soldier. How could they they not know that would happen?

Men are very sexual. When you take that away from them.. they do things they wouldnt normally do. Sex literally can control them. So whereas they wouldnt rape a woman in normal life, over there they do because sex is taken away from them.

WOW. I have TONS of friends who have been on 1, 2 & 3 LONG deployments away from their "women" and they have never rapped anyone nor considered it. What an ignorant thing to say and an insult to all the men who go over there, do their job and behave like MEN.

[edit on 11/2/2008 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Death_Kron
Whether they belong there or not, thats NO justification for their rapes is it?

Considering - YOU - quoted me, I'll take it you read the opening line of my post saying I DON'T condone it. So, I suppose that speaks volumes about the level of your intelligence.

Yes men are physically stronger and more physically capable and I too agree that we shouldn't have women "on the front line" but as far as I'm aware no infantry unit in the world allows women to fight - apart from females belonging to certain special units - i.e. mossad etc

If a women is in the services she should be behind a desk? What???
Theres a wide range of jobs/position available to a women in the military that do NOT require physical strength, if I have to sit here and name them all to you that I suppose that speaks volumes about the level of your intelligence.

According to your statement above, (besides insulting my intelligence) you tell me that as far as you're aware a majority of women don't fight but there are "wide range of positions available to women that don't require strength.

I suppose that these are the "Positions" these women were in charge of when raped.So before you insult me, you may want to reread your post and call into question "You're Own Intelligence". Though, in reality, that's not the way I would normally word it.

[edit on 2-11-2008 by Revealation]

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 08:13 PM
link   
What really sucks is that a lot of these female soldiers are lesbians, and they really won't like guys after that.

But it is pretty disgusting to have to fight a 2 front war. I have a hard time believing a doctor would rape a female soldier...they're always around nurses and what not, a scream should suffice. Plus after all that education, to throw it away by raping a patient would be pretty pointless.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by dampnickers
reply to post by Sonya610

You like the poster before you, obviously did not get the point of my comment.

You also IGNORANTLY disregarded my last comments about penal colonies.

Is that the action of someone using their brain? I think not!

My comment was to provoke thought. We hear all the time of these 'girls' that flaunt it, and cry rape. They are the girls that should be locked up as psychotic cock-teases!

As for the women that are raped in the army, well, as one poster has already suggested, they know they aren't signing up for an easy ride.

Now you cannot tell me that in the dead of the night, they cannot wake a bunk mate, or a fellow female officer and get them to go to the loo with them.

In addition, I do not for one second suggest that the rape of women is anything to be 'excused' in any way shape or form. Again if you learned to read my posts, instead of thinking that you have, you might see that I will refer you back to my earlier comment about it being a shame we haven't got penal colonies any more.

Also, as several have already said here, what about the rape of men in prisions... you seem to want this to be all about women. Why? Do you have a hidden femenist agenda here?

Again, I will re-iterate, for those of you incapable of being able to read simple words on a screen:

Rape is wrong, it is a crime, and those that commit this crime should be locked away permanently (or shipped off to an island prision). However, what surprises me is that you show an inordinate lack of compassion. Instead of suggesting how these women could or should come forward, you vilifiy the criminals... that is just the sort of attitude and stance to take if you want problems like this to continue! Bravo.

Fin.

I don't seem to be able to get the different point your trying to make, from the one you're making with your own words.

If a woman wears a skimpy outfit, she knows she's attracting rapists.
If a woman wears sexy clothes in public, she should be locked up as a cock tease.
If a woman joins the military, she knows what to expect if rapes occur.

Seems like a lot of blame shifting to me.

If a man thinks he can touch a woman who does not consent to being touched, it does NOT matter if she is naked and parading around in stilettos', he has NO right to put a finger on her.

If a woman wears attractive clothing in public, you do NOT get to lock them up because of what it may cause some barbarians to think. Or would you have them all in a burqa under sharia law? Perhaps a stoning to teach the little ladies a lesson in how to act?

If a woman meets the requirements to join the armed forces, there is NO excuse for her being treated any less than any other fellow serving officer. None.

You're really making the point that rape is wrong, but it appears from your posts that you're also saying that it's the woman's fault if it does happen. Regardless of what you would do to the perpetrator.

Maybe YOU need to rethink your logic here, and if you still come to the conclusion that a woman is at fault for what she wears or how she acts if she is touched in a nonconsensual manner, or that if a woman goes out of her way to be attractive and therefore should be locked up to save her from rape, then that is disgusting.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join