It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How SETI May Have Missed Alien Signals

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 08:27 AM
link   

I’ve spent so much recent time on two SETI/METI papers by James, Gregory and Dominic Benford because they contain powerful arguments for re-thinking our current SETI strategy. By analyzing how we might construct cost-optimized interstellar beacons, the authors ask what those beacons might look like if other civilizations were turning them toward us. The results are striking: A distant beacon operating for maximum effect consistent with rational expense would offer up a pulsed signal that will be short and intermittent, recurring over periods of a month or year.

It will, in other words, be unlike the kind of persistent signal that conventional SETI is optimized to search for. Searches designed to sweep past stars quickly, hoping to find long-lasting beacons whose signature would be apparent, would rarely notice oddball signals that seem to come out of nowhere and then vanish. Tracking such signals, looking for signs of regularity and repetition, calls for a different strategy. SOURCE

Instead of a persistent signal, the Benfords suggest we should be looking for something akin to a lighthouse. The implications here are that SETI may have already recieved a signal, but it was missed or misunderstood because we are not looking for the right kind of signal.

You can read the full papers, here and here

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Personally, I dont buy SETI, and I HATE Seth #stack^___^
Seths mind is completely closed to the possibility that aliens could have been here already or are here, he explains things away with a smug little joke all the time and has done NO proper research into the UFO phenomenon.

And I wouldint be surprised if SETI, just like NASA, is a smokescreen for the public to think we havint had contact etc yet.

But yeah I would agree tat SETI could have missed a signal using current techniques.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Well of course SETI missed a signal, they were bought and paid for. Tokenism reveals itself in many forms, as im pretty sure the late Dr Sagan would have been able to explain only too readily.

Basically, dont put too much faith in what the "spooks" tell you, because they dont often tell the truth and when they do it only to divert your attention where they want it to be id imagine.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 06:06 PM
link   
probably because we should be looking for a signal embedded in neutrinos and not radio waves.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   
SETI should, overall, be looking for a lot more than they're looking for now. At least they're doing something though... but I just wish they'd do more.

top topics

join