It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britain trusts in millions of TV cameras to boost security

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 04:59 PM
link   
i used to wanna live in britain, not 'till this came out!!!

thestar.com.my.../2004/3/29/latest/16655Britaintr&sec=latest

if electronics dont control most of our lives already, this should test your limit...

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 05:14 PM
link   
When I was there last summer, i was surprised to see camaeras even on the rides at Pleasure Beach Amusement park. Taking shots of your face as you come off the ride. For pictures, of course, in case u want photos of yourself screaming or soaking wet, but still...........

Yes, theres Cameras everywhere there. Here, at least, Americans still like to shoot the cameras down. Thats why the pikes market web cam doesnt work half the time. The junkies and homeless like to blast the thing out.

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 07:04 PM
link   
well... should we shoot them or accept them as good???

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Just watch out for them. And if you don't see one, assume its covert. I always wave at the ones I see - even the ones in stores that look like little black globes on the ceiling. I always imagine the security people watching and saying "There's that mad bastard again"

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 09:52 PM
link   
This is nothing new as they've been doing it for years now. Still it's a good subject to talk about.

I sort of have mixed feelings about them. I think when your in public you just have to assume your on camera these days. I also think there needs to be better rules on how they are used. Most of the time camera's are used after a crime has taken place in order to use the images as evidence in capture & conviction.

In Brittain & limited use in some US cities they're using them to allow the police to cover more ground with less manpower which is good for law abiding citizens. I'm not so sure what police unions think of them here in the US though as they can also be used in the place of hiring more police or used againt the police themselves when they abuse their position.

There seems to be allot of complaints recently in my area about police abuse, especially against minoritys. Maybe the camera's would stop both the abuse & the false abuse reports. Again a good thing.

The most important thing is that cameras be used equally across the board.

There should be some places where camera's are forbidden the obvious being dressing rooms, toilets, but I'm sure there[s plenty more. It should be illegal to video someone in their house without permission or a search warrant.

I'm guessing that after awhile people doing crime realize that those areas are virtually policed 24 hours a day and they no longer do crime in those areas. Sort of like purse snatching, or drug dealing in front of a police station wouldn't be a very successful. There's always the argument that the crime moves somewhere else, but the fact is that crime went down in that area. Whether all the somewhere elses want to do the same is up to them.

[Edited on 29-3-2004 by outsider]

top topics

join